Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Maida Vale to close

and move to the Olympic Park. I can see no valid reason for this.

The acoustics are not exactly fabled, are they?

Comment

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
      The acoustics are not exactly fabled, are they?
      Indeed not, but then nor are those at the Royal Albert Hell yet BBC continues to use that year on year.
      Last edited by ahinton; 05-06-18, 20:49.

Comment

"Additionally, the Corporation plans bring the BBC Proms to the area, with performances and opportunities for young people from east London to participate in choirs and ensembles."

Theatre news and reviews from London’s West End and across the UK, latest interviews with stars and opinion leaders in the entertainment and performing arts industry, and theatre jobs. The Stage is the world’s longest-running theatre publication.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Sad news. Yes, the building is in a bit of a state but it's full of atmosphere and character and history, and the two main radio drama studios (which have had pretty well zero mentions in the press reports of the closure) were the finest around when built in the seventies and stayed so for a good long while. A great many hours of my professional life have been spent in that place and I treasure the memories.

Comment

Damn - that means I won't be able to use my "premises will be Maida Valeable" pun any more!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Damn - that means I won't be able to use my "premises will be Maida Valeable" pun any more!
              Ahhh ... you, too, huh?
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                NOMA may be one reason:

Comment

I always loved the Maida Vale studios, and have many happy memories of Invitation Concerts in Studio 1 (including the first performance of Vanity), lots of broadcast recordings (remember those?) with Ensemble Exposé and others in Studio 2, and the CD recording of Opening of the Mouth in Studio 3. I never found my way to the Radiophonic Workshop though.

Perhaps the building might now revert to its original function before the BBC took it over...?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    ... sadly a more Stratfordward approach will be required from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      Indeed not, but then nor are those at the Royal Albert Hell yet BBC continue to use that year on year.
                      But there is a very good reason for using that, despite its acoustic limitations, and lousy air conditioning system.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I remember with much affection going there for a performance one Saturday morning commencing at 08.30 with BBCSO; it was Shostakovich's Symphony No. 11 conducted by a Malcolm Sargent with an explosve commitment to the work that at times looked as though it might endanger his stance on such podium as there was; this was more years ago than I care to remember but...

I also remember attending a Colin Matthews 60th birthday concert there (obviously much more recently) and thniking, beore it actually started, how wonderful it was just to be there having the first oboe commence the orchestral tuning such as to make one feel so much a part of what was going on that it seemed as though the orchestra was about to play for me; I really don't mean to sound arrogant in so saying - rather to point up the sheer intimacy and presence of what was about to happen, even with the place littered with the players' instrument cases an'all...

Comment

I guess you have never had to drive there with a car full of instruments then

It will be sad to see the old place go though

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            I guess you have never had to drive there with a car full of instruments then
                            Ha! yes, loading and unloading percussion in Delaware Road, that was a laugh.

Comment

I can see no valid reason for this.
                              One possible reason is noted as follows:

"However, the distinctive and unusual building is in a residential area and contains asbestos, increasing the cost of refurbishment."

Comment

Working...
                              X