Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good albums of the Moment

This is a new thread inspired by a suggestion from Global Truth and a well-established thread from Calum on the jazz boards. Absolutely no rules. Nevertheless, it might help to have a "vision thing".

1. Choices should probably be based on relatively recent releases, even if they are compilations of material recorded in the 1930s.

2. Could we try here to define the genre slightly more narrowly? This need not be rigid or stick to the very obvious. However, I have in mind that it might be in scope a continuation of the terrific work undertaken by Charlie Gillett in the last decade of his life.

The latter is still available and it is regular reference material for me. Some of it is here:

Here's then to June 2011. Go on. You know you want to. Well, actually, if you don't, just let me know and we won't bother with it, but that would be a real pity.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-06-11, 15:05.

Lat,

Here's a list which I present with as much neutrality that I can muster this sunny morning.
    It's based on plays by Eurozone's top spinners, a list which includes DJs Ritu, Reinhardt & Kothari.

As all can see, it doesn't appear that this collective has been targeted with the latest Max Bygraves retrospective.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::

1 CICADA Last month: 1
    Hazmat Modine USA Jaro

2 UNIKO Last month: 2
    Kronos Quartet, Kimmo Pohjonen, Samuli Kosminen Finland/USA Ondine

3 AS FAR Last month: 9
    Le Trio Joubran Palestine World Village

4 AFRODIASPORA Last month: 4
    Susana Baca Peru Luaka Bop

5 THE IMAM BAILDI COOKBOOK Last month: 6
    Imam Baildi Greece EMI Greece/Kukin

6 FROM AFRICA WITH FURY: RISE Last month: 30
    Seun Anikulapo Kuti & Egypt 80 Nigeria Because

7 TOUMASTIN Last month: 8
    Tamikrest Mali Glitterhouse Records

8 O TEMPO Last month: 18
    Marcio Faraco Brazil Le Chant du Monde

9 KOSHER NOSTRA - JEWISH GANGSTERS GREATEST HITS Last month: 95
    Various Artists various Essay

10 ACOUSTIC AFRICA IN CONCERT Last month: 14
    Habib Koite - Afel Bocum - Oliver Mtukudzi Mali,Zimbabwe Contre-Jour

11 ADDIS THRU THE LOOKING GLASS Last month: 7
    Dub Colossus Ethiopia/UK Real World

12 NOCHE DE CARNAVAL Last month: - -
    Juan Carlos Caceres Argentina Manana

13 AGADEZ Last month: 80
    Bombino Niger Cumbancha

14 RADIO BABEL Last month: 3
    Watcha Clan France Piranha

15 HONGO CALLING Last month: - -
    Blick Bassy Cameroon World Connection

16 AQUI LOS BRAVOS! THE BEST OF MICH SARMIENTO Y SU COMBO BRAVO 1967-77 Last month: 80
    Michi Sarmiento y su Combo Bravo Colombia Soundway

17 ELS SET PECATS Last month: 110
    Eduard Iniesta Spain Temps

18 COTONOU CLUB Last month: 12
    Orchestre Poly-Rythmo Benin Strut

19 MESTISSAGE Last month: - -
    Teofilo Chantre Cape Verde Lusafrica

20 SONGS OF FREEDOM Last month: 5
    Nguyen Le France/Vietnam ACT

I don't think I've got any of 'em. I wonder if some have spots ?

Comment

Yep (as the sellers of the Yorkshire Evening Press used to yelp on street corners). Thanks I think.

This is probably a good launching pad. I see a retrospective January to May there perhaps as well as June. I may go for Susana Baca first, if and when I get my credits back. I have seen her live. Dub Colossus, Seun Kuti and Oliver Mtukudzi are obviously among the names but the Jewish Gangsters win by miles on the intrigue scale.

Lat.

Comment

that's a good list, and I vote we start there. Especially as my original suggestion was
        Album of the Day. These are modern times, stuff moves fast - so fast it
        should be Album of the Nanosecond &
        I dn't evn hve time to finish this sent..

Comment

Oh, ok, fine - Ditch number 2 in my opening post. As and when. We can keep the title unless you know a way that it can be changed?

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
            We can keep the title unless you know a way that it can be changed?
            How does that look; and I was only acting the giddy pedant. I'm a fan of all your recent new threads Lat.

Although presumably we can still go off piste as and when? As opposed to piste off?

Now I just need some damn albums to trump PS & a hot promising prog. Damn - where are my glasses...
            Last edited by Globaltruth; 10-06-11, 12:38. Reason: my glassess - tti's all a bit blurry, som mistkes I thnk?

Comment

Yes, GT, this is all good. I have also deleted what was point 2 in the opening post.

(One day I will find out how to alter the title in black and red rather than just one of the colours and also how to place a thumbs up sign or a strange green half circle with an arrow symbol against the title of a thread).

Comment

(One day I will find out how to alter the title in black and red rather than just one of the colours and also how to place a thumbs up sign or a strange green half circle with an arrow symbol against the title of a thread).
                I'd really rather you didn't, that would threaten my technocracy and your inimitable style.

Now, here's a thought..how about imaginary music? Can that be on this list?

all those little things - they matter you know. Apparently there is still incorrect information out there on the internet - this attention to detail begins to address such slackness.

Comment

Inimitable possibly. Style - I rather doubt it. I don't think I will be venturing into the realm of anyone's technocracy. Some effects of an adiabatic partition can be partly mimicked by mere rate differences between subprocesses in different parts of the system. However, I don't think that this is ever likely to apply here.

Comment

In no particular order - in between office chores

No 15 is on Spottie.

It's horrible ( imho ! )

Comment

I was a bit safer and had a listen to No 2 - Kronos, with Kimmo Pohjonen, also on spotty - it was quite alright really though at bits sounded like Dr Who when they are building towards the denouement - can be a bit over the top, but ain't that the story of Kronos - saw them in the mid 80s in Glasgow and mighty good they were - is it unfair to say that they haven't moved on a lot? Still, very listenable, but not album of the month - so maybe I shouldn't record this here.

Comment

Oh dear. Global, do you have a way of altering the title to "Good Albums of the Moment"? Lat.

Comment

Oh dear. Global, do you have a way of altering the title to "Good Albums of the Moment"? Lat.

Comment

Wilco Captain, but I require an authorisation notice from Mother first.

'good' or 'ultimate aural stimulation' ?

Comment

While the latter is the objective, the former gets the job done. (Our request might not be agreed to though).
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-06-11, 19:28.

Comment

Working...
                              X