Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re msg 30:

I think Linn also have high quality streaming channels - http://radio.linnrecords.com/index2.html - though of course still using a form of lossy compression, and very probably not the best that can be done at 320kbps - MP3 - though it shouldn't be too bad.

Comment

Well one problem with internet only radio stations is that they can easily go off air with no warning.
      Like my current (ex) fave.

I am bereft.

Alternatively, R3 could get its act together, and do us all a favour......
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I do think that the best of all the internet radio stations I have discovered is

The sound of these concert performances is up with the best of any CD I own.
        Outstanding 'live' performances of Bruckner symphony no. 7 conducted by Haitink in 2006 and just now a performance of Brahms piano concerto no 2 with an almost chamber music-like slow movement by Ansnes with Jansons (from 02/04/11).

Comment

wfmu.org

For the curious

Comment

One way I have found some useful stations is through "tunein" radio
            :- http://tunein.com/
            with the idea of looking by country then genre being quite useful, although its interpretation of 'classical music' can be a bit wayward.
            I have its app on my smartarse phone and the free one is very good, the paid one giving you the extra ability to record what you are listening to.

Comment

Tunein is also available on Sonus products - I have a pair of Play 1 speakers as a bedroom system.
              Steve

Comment

Audiophile Baroque and AVRO baroque ( http://icecast.omroep.nl/radio4-baroque-bb-mp3 @ 256kbps) partly fill the gap left by the downgrading of EMS. http://www.concertgebouworkest.nl/en...enu/RCO-Radio/ is new to me, and even with one ear bolcked (yet again!) it sounds good to me.

Don't forget "Tunein" is a logitech media server plugin, and with the "squeezelite" local player plugin anyone can run LMS on a PC/laptop now, no LMS kit needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Discovery of the day: the AUDIOPHILE radio site

Classical, Baroque and Jazz radio streams
                  at 320kbps () which can be added to iTunes by the means set out at (b) in my post #1 above.

Not sure about the Jazz choices yet (aficionados will advise having looked at their playlist) but the two others sound v good.

Some really good sounding sites (these are available via i tunes or Logitech Squeezebox)

1) WFMT-Chicago--this is my home station that I have listened to for over 20 years; they stream at 320 bps
                  2) Linn--the Scottish Audio company also streams at 320 bps; they feature thei8r own label, Cahannel Classics, and a couple of like minded audiophile labels
                  3) Radio Venice
                  4) Suisse Radio--3 languages to choose from!
                  5) Radio Catalunya

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    1) WFMT-Chicago--this is my home station that I have listened to for over 20 years; they stream at 320 bps
                    Thanks Richard But I can only get at 192kbps... Am I looking in the right place? http://www.wfmt.com/main.taf?p=4,5,28

PS: It looks from the weather / news that it's a very good time to stay in and listen to radio in Chicago at the moment, brrrrrrrr.... Keep warm, Richard...
                    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 06-01-14, 09:09.
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

The HD Radio 3 stream does seem to suffer from random but frequent drop outs - silences of 2 - 5 seconds.

I thought it was the internet here suffering from the weather, high winds etc, or something. But the Concertgebouw feed is unaffected, for instance...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Well Hurrah !!
                        CCR 365 Live is back on air.
                        Live365 is the easiest and least expensive way to create a legal internet radio station as well as the best place to discover and listen to thousands of free stations from every genre of music and talk.

Go USA
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Well Hurrah !!
                          CCR 365 Live is back on air.
                          Live365 is the easiest and least expensive way to create a legal internet radio station as well as the best place to discover and listen to thousands of free stations from every genre of music and talk.

Go USA

I'm listening to the Okinawa Chillout Lounge on 365. Music compiled by Okinawan DJ Mizuki

Edit: wow! Moved on to an Avant Garde Jazz station, playing some hippie-trippy-acid- jazz by Johnny 'Hammond' Smith 1970

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            I'm listening to the Okinawa Chillout Lounge on 365. Music compiled by Okinawan DJ Mizuki

Edit: wow! Moved on to an Avant Garde Jazz station, playing some hippie-trippy-acid- jazz by Johnny 'Hammond' Smith 1970
                            Sounds very cool.
                            Very West Country............
                            Must give them a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Sounds very cool.
                              Very West Country............
                              Must give them a whirl.
                              Great steer you've given us with this 365 thing - been listening to different avant garde jazz stations and so much good stuff been played. Albert Mangelsdorff and Jeff Marx were particulary good

Comment

For some reason I cannot see either 'radio' or 'internet' on the iTunes homepage. I am using the most up to date version of iTunes. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                X