Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had been very tempted to sign up for this, having seen Semyon Bychkov make the Alpine Symphony sound like the masterpiece which it isn't, so the above comments have made me glad that I didn't. And I share Cellini's aversion to the 'trailer'. While I suppose one could close one's eyes, it kind of makes it all a bit pointless. As I type, I am listening to Andris Nelson's Pathetique streamed vis the Concertgebouw's internet radio station. Now that is in excellent sound (320 kbps), it's free and one can happen upon some wonderful performances. That, alas, is also one of its downsides - the seeming random-ness of the programming can be a bit disconcerting and the fade-in over the end of the previous work, presumably to stop illicit copying, can get a bit grating. But, to be able to listen to such a wonderful orchestra in its glorious home at the click of a mouse seems pretty good to me.

Comment

A rare and extensive selection of concerts, operas, ballets, documentaries and master classes. Exclusive events streamed live on medici.tv, available afterwards on replay.

I have to say it takes some getting use to! I preefare the iPhone app but streaming via apple tv doesn't seem to work on it.

Youll have to upgrade your flash player. When you start playing a concert if you put it in full screen all the writing etc will disappear after a while. I've plugged the laptop into tv via hdmi. Looks stunning on my tv and sound is great.

You need an account but it's free and there's alot of free concerts on there, I might take out a subscription eventually once I get more use to it.

Comment

I keep trying to download the flash player latest needed. I then find I can't register on their silly site, and it tells me I need the flash player. Stupid technology does not work. I give up. back to good old CD's and DVD's.

Comment

Cellini I've had trouble with [not] downloading the flash player latest. You just go round in circles with it.
          Once again, glad it's not just me!

Comment

Apart from the problems I had last night with the live event navigating this site is simplicity itself. I've been using my 24 hour pass to get my money's worth by accessing the archive. I've just watched a terrific Mahler 7 under Bernard Haitink while last night I watched Rattle conduct Rachmaninov Symphonic Dances and Mahler 1. Audio downloaded to my hard drive.

There do seem to be issues with heavy demand for live concerts though hopefully this can be sorted. The stunning sound quality is better than most CD's in my collection.
            Last edited by Petrushka; 06-02-11, 14:05.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

On the Berlin one do you pay for the concert and watch it as many times as you want? How does it work? I notice requiem canticles is on later in the year, wouldn't mind watching that!

Comment

Originally posted by Threni View Post
                On the Berlin one do you pay for the concert and watch it as many times as you want? How does it work? I notice requiem canticles is on later in the year, wouldn't mind watching that!
                Hi, you pay for 24hrs, 30 days or 1 year ticket. You have unlimited access to the archived content and live concerts within your ticket time scale. Last Saturday was not a great advert for digitial concert hall, with no access to the concert or the archives. if you have a newer Sony TV or blu ray player, the archives can be accessed using their built in internet facility.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Monty View Post
                  Harrumph I'm afraid you're probably right! I just have a "Hut 6 at Bletchley Park" mentality -- I absolutely WILL crack that code

It looks as though Applian Replay Media Catcher will do it. Certainly works on the free-play video of Rattle and the youth orchestra

There seems to have been huge interest in the Mahler 3 concert. I'm assuming the site crashed under the weight of demand. But it's already in the archive, so no great loss, though obviously frustrating for those who had set aside Saturday evening to watch it.

[Edit: Apparently it's still being edited, but will appear in the archive v. soon.]
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-02-11, 15:15.

Comment

Had an e-mail from the BPO Digital Concert Hall admitting that they had technical problems on Saturday which logged everybody out and as compo they have given a free 24 hour pass! Considering I made good use of Saturday's pass by trawling the archive this is a generous gesture. The Mahler 3 is in the archive from Feb 10.

Threni: There is a Boulez performance of The Song of the Nightingale in the archive.

Comment

Originally posted by Threni View Post
                      http://www.medici.tv/

I have to say it takes some getting use to! I preefare the iPhone app but streaming via apple tv doesn't seem to work on it.
                      Thanks for that link, Threni. I guess the .tv suffix was the reason the search engines didn't find it. That site looks promising, and I'll take a close look at it.

Meanwhile, thanks also to Uncle Monty, Spatny, Petrushka and others for the info about the BPO site. It's becoming more and more likely that I'll sample it with a 24 hour pass before long.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyR View Post
                        Thanks for that link, Threni. I guess the .tv suffix was the reason the search engines didn't find it. That site looks promising, and I'll take a close look at it.

Meanwhile, thanks also to Uncle Monty, Spatny, Petrushka and others for the info about the BPO site. It's becoming more and more likely that I'll sample it with a 24 hour pass before long.
                        I've tried Medici TV but find it an impossible clutter to have to wade through and gave up on it. The site really needs some order brought to it out of the chaos that currently exists and until that happens I won't be sampling again.

Comment

It's quite easy Petrushka when you get use to it. It took me about three days.

Comment

Yeah, I've been playing with it today and although it seems to be needlessly convoluted I think I can get used to it. Been listening to Ton Koopman conduct Mozart & Bach and enjoying it very much. At least I was. It dropped off a couple of times and I clicked out for now, but I'm pretty sure some inclement weather in my neighborhood is affecting my Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
                              I recently invested in a Sony Blu-ray player...
                              Likewise, Mahlerei! Mine arrived on Saturday along with new tv. Once I got hold of a HDMI cable to connect it up, I then plugged in the internet connection and discovered the Berlin PO link. I had a look through the archive trailers and fully intend to buy a 24 hour pass later in the week, when I have a day off. I had also ordered a blu-ray sampler of the Valencia/ Mehta Ring cycle; I had seen Das Rheingold last year on SkyArts, but was just blown away by the tremendous picture and sound quality!
                              Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                Had an e-mail from the BPO Digital Concert Hall admitting that they had technical problems on Saturday which logged everybody out and as compo they have given a free 24 hour pass! Considering I made good use of Saturday's pass by trawling the archive this is a generous gesture. The Mahler 3 is in the archive from Feb 10.
                                Yes, I got that email too! I imagine they want to mitigate the PR disaster, but it's certainly nice of them, and I will take them up on it

There are a couple of videos on Youtube of Simon Rattle talking about the project. He's very enthusiastic (even allowing for his rather anodyne interviewee persona, perhaps not surprising when you think of all the daft and boring questions leading figures in any field get asked!) and is quite clear that this is the way ahead, and talks about the technical aspects, saying they know full well that they're "broadcasting" at a technical level that not many people are capable of receiving yet. It seems to be an investment for the future, as even with Deutsche Bank involvement, it's running at a loss.

Here are some of the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkQqNolbdzY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzJSe...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UzT3...feature=relmfu

Comment

Working...
                                X