Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Radio 3 HD Sound Live stream - 320kbps aac-lc 2 channel stereo (though it does seem a tad unreliable, terminating without warning from time to time, but very fine indeed when it is working. Oh, and don't forget that the 1411kbps of Red Book CD involves around 50% data redundancy. It makes more sense to compare with a .FLAC or .APE lossless file derived from it, that would be somewhere between 550kbps and about 700kbps depending on the audio data being compressed.

Comment

Envelopes, New York vs Berlin

I was able to listen to the Berlin Philharmonic and Rossini's Armida (live on Radio 3 HD)on the same 2nd string system attached to my computer. Assuming for the moment that that broadcast was 320 kbits,there was a shocking difference. It was so poor that I could hardly believe it.Had they really strung a couple of microphones from the ceiling? orchestra audibly in the pit, chorus singing from behind a curtain and stage creaking and sword rattles interrupting arias.Someone please disabuse me, because I have no inherent prejudice against US attention to sound/mix technology. I will not go on to suggest reasons for this apparent neglect, in case I am mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        ... Oh, and don't forget that the 1411kbps of Red Book CD involves around 50% data redundancy....
        How come "50% redundancy" when the 1411kbps stream is directly derived from sampled audio with no "compression" involved? What redundancy? What is the original source format that has an equivalent bit rate higher than 1411? Or are you saying that the 1411 is itself 50% redundant ie half of it is un-necesary?

Comment

Working...
        X