Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shape of Things to Come?

The BBC is to cut 65 jobs in radio, the corporation's head of radio, Helen Boaden, announces.

Lunchtime O'Boulez said recently of the departure of RW that he must have suspected that Radio 3 would take a bit hit in the latest rounds of BBC cuts.

In fact, it got a small rise in the latest service licence budgets (in April), but what this latest news means, goodness knows. FoR3 had just sent in a submission to the Trust (and various other people, including Helen Boaden) yesterday again saying that Radio 3 has (already) been treated poorly, compared with Radio 1, Radio 2 and Radio 4. We quoted the figures, and although we stated that we thought Radio 3 had not complied with Trust conditions laid down the 2011 review, we also made it clear that not only did we think the strategy was a disaster we thought that underfunding was substantially responsible for poor quality programming - not least bussing in presenters from local radio to help out with classical music programmes. Hope they take the message that Radio 3 isn't overstaffed.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

This goes into a bit more detail, particularly:

In the classical music and speech hub, some station management, presentation and administration will be shared, but Radios 3 and 4 will retain their own commissioning, scheduling and, in Radio 3’s case, music functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
      In the classical music and speech hub, some station management, presentation and administration will be shared, but Radios 3 and 4 will retain their own commissioning, scheduling and, in Radio 3’s case, music functions.
      Some services might naturally share presentation e.g. the 'pop music' stations. Not sure how much presentation there is on 4 Extra, but classical music seems just as worth having its own presenters as, say, jazz or world music. Somehow, being able to say that someone is 'classically trained' (whatever that means) seems to be understood as meaning they 'know quite a lot about classical music'. If only.

I wonder what 'music functions' are? The kinds of music in its remit?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I wonder what 'music functions' are? The kinds of music in its remit?
        Presumably the music production teams.

No doubt the R3 drama and speech depts will merge or be absorbed by the corresponding R4 depts.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
          No doubt the R3 drama and speech depts will merge or be absorbed by the corresponding R4 depts.
          All right as long as the Radio 3 remit for a different kind of speech/drama content is recognised and retained. But haven't we noticed Radio 4 taking some of Radio 3's output recently?

Comment

Not sure how much presentation there is on 4 Extra?
            A fair bit actually; although quite what they add I'm not entirely sure, other than lame jokes and matey-ness. One can guarantee when listening to a programme on the iplayer that there will be 3-5 minutes of guff at the start and finish of what are, TAIAP, pre-recorded items which do not require anything other than a curt announcement.

Comment

Has someone forgotten something?

"The speech and classical music hub will cover Radio 4, 4 Extra, Radio 3 and BBC Proms, while the pop music hub will look after Radio 1, 1Xtra, Radio 2, Asian Network and 6 Music."

Comment

Originally posted by sir velo View Post
                a fair bit actually; although quite what they add i'm not entirely sure, other than lame jokes and matey-ness. One can guarantee when listening to a programme on the iplayer that there will be 3-5 minutes of guff at the start and finish of what are, taiap, pre-recorded items which do not require anything other than a curt announcement.
                taiap?

Odd - now this "word" has gone into lower case - in both the quote and my text! Some strange things going on - both with Quick Reply and Advanced editing modes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                  A fair bit actually; although quite what they add I'm not entirely sure, other than lame jokes and matey-ness. One can guarantee when listening to a programme on the iplayer that there will be 3-5 minutes of guff at the start and finish of what are, TAIAP, pre-recorded items which do not require anything other than a curt announcement.
                  I think TAIAP looks okay in mine. Let's see.

Anyway - anyone notice the missing ingredient in the BBC news story?

Comment

TAIAP - try again. Here it has stayed in Upper Case. Mmmm! Anyway, what does it mean?

Seems to have been some form of temporary glitch - but the previous posting wasn't having any Upper Case stuff.

Comment

Give us a clue!

Radio 5, 5 Live etc. - Sports channels maybe.

There was a R7, but wasn't that rebranded as 4 Extra?

Comment

Jazz and "World Music" certainly aren't mentioned, nor is Drama, unless covered by "Speech".
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Give us a clue!
                          It's an acronym.

Context is key. Shouldn't be that hard!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            Give us a clue!

Radio 5, 5 Live etc. - Sports channels maybe.
                            Yes, Radio 5 Live is the only national station not included. All the other network radio stations and national digitals are mentioned. Is it in a hub of its own?

Interesting because, a) Radio 5 Live is the second most expensive radio station (after Radio 4), has had its budget slashed a couple of time recently and has quite a poor record in its quarterly Appreciation Index and Distinctiveness scores (as rated by the public). In 'distinctiveness' it is by far the worst, in AI it's 3rd from the bottom (above Radio 1 and the Asian Network) and its service budget is still an enviable £50m for the current year - it was £60.7m back in 2006/07) .

Perhaps they think if no one notices it, they can quietly drop it...?

To All Intents And Purposes, apparently.

Comment

Yes, Radio 5 Live is the only national station not included. All the other network radio stations and national digitals are mentioned. Is it in a hub of its own?

Interesting because, a) Radio 5 Live is the second most expensive radio station (after Radio 4), has had its budget slashed a couple of time recently and has quite a poor record in its quarterly Appreciation Index and Distinctiveness scores (as rated by the public). In 'distinctiveness' it is by far the worst, in AI it's 3rd from the bottom (above Radio 1 and the Asian Network) and its service budget is still an enviable £50m for the current year - it was £60.7m back in 2006/07) .

Perhaps they think if no one notices it, they can quietly drop it...?

To All Intents And Purposes, apparently.
                              They have APs for most things I suppose so why not TAI ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X