• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms 11 & 13 - 26/27.07.14: CBeebies Prom

Saturday, 26 July & Sunday, 27th July
    11.00 a.m. – c. 11.50 a.m.
    Royal Albert Hall

The BBC Philharmonic, conducted by Stephen Bell join Cbeebies favourites with an audience of pre-school children and their parents for the first ever CBeebies Prom. Come on a tour through the orchestra and a journey around London to collect sounds for a grand finale.

11.00am
    Peter Willmott: Overture on Cbeebies themes (first performance)
    Wood: Fantasia on British Sea Songs: Hornpipe
    Rozsa: Parade of the Charioteers
    Paul Honey: Old Jack's Boat
    Holst: St Paul's Suite: Dargason
    Prokofiev: Cinderella: Midnight
    Barrie Bignold: Around Sound (first performance, BBC Commision)

BBC Philharmonic
    Stephen Bell (conductor)
    Katy Ashworth
    Andy Day
    Chris Jarvis
    Cat Sandion
    Mr Bloom (Ben Faulks)
    Gem from Swashbuckle (Gemma Hunt)
    Robert the Robot from Justin's House (Steven Kynman)
    And
    Bernard Cribbins from Old Jack's Boat with Salty the Dog.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 18-07-14, 07:31.

What would you include in such a Prom?

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      What would you include in such a Prom?
      The Art of Fugue - everyone sit up straight; fingers on lips and listen!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

There you go old timers
        you get some of your beloved Sea Songs

Nice to see Steve conducting

A journey from the Horns to the Arse ?

(ref. Jokes thread and Mr Bell's other musical activities )

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          The Art of Fugue - everyone sit up straight; fingers on lips and listen!

This is much too long, but first thoughts include -

Mozart the "Sleigh Ride" German Dance
          First movement of Schubert 5
          Weber Concertino for Clarinet (or maybe the one for horn - with those chords)
          Sullivan: Overture di Ballo (a bit long?) or the overture to The Yeomen of the Guard
          Wagner: Prelude to Act 3 of Lohengrin, leading to the Bridal Procession
          Elgar: P & C No. 1 (end of the first half)
          Debussy: En Bateau (piano duet & orchestra)
          Debussy: Second movement of La Mer
          Holst: Suite no. 1 (fist movement), or ending of the suite, if it can be compared with the ending of Jupiter
          Holst: Jupiter (if the ending can be compared with that of the First Suite), or (if no Holst) -
          Stravinsky: Le Sacre - Spring Rounds and Games of Different Tribes
          Ravel: Piano Concerto in G (second movement)
          Prokofiev: Overture on Hebrew Themes
          Korngold: Opening of King's Row score, followed by -
          Williams: Star Wars or Raiders of the Lost Ark
          Adams: Short Ride in a Fast Machine

Comment

Fun article from The Guardian about Bernard Cribbins, in advance of his Proms debut this weekend:

No one tells a story like Bernard Cribbins. Simon Hattenstone settles down to listen to the former paratrooper, pop star and Womble talk about his epic career – and never having children of his own

Comment

I can only assume that Pabmusic was not aware that the target age range for CBeebies is 0 - 6.

Anyway my two grandsons enjoyed the concert. My only regret was that, having driven them and their mother to the RAH, I was denied the opportunity to listen to the concert in the car. What happened to the BBC's promise that every concert is broadcast live on Radio 3? That was not the case with Prom 11 this morning, despite the concert including two first performances.

Comment

I guess it was always going to be a toss-up whether prom 11 or 13 was broadcast - we can all enjoy tomorrow

Comment

I don't get when this is supposed to be on the television. It's mentioned on the web page, but it doesn't say when. Can't see it on the schedule.

Another chance to hear broadcasts of selected concerts from the 2017 BBC Proms season.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Essen View Post
                    I don't get when this is supposed to be on the television. It's mentioned on the web page, but it doesn't say when.
                    Two people have asked the question on the CBeebies Facebook page, but in typical BBC interactive style there has been no response.

Perhaps an edited version at Christmas??? (Just a guess)
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Yeah, it's on Monday on CBeebies, 9am and then repeated at 4:45pm.

Comment

Well, ol' Donnie was in the hall that day and enjoyed it, but watching it this morning only confirmed how thematically coherent it was (I hadn't paid much attention to Old Jack's story before, but it was relevant too, sorta like intertextuality or something with things transforming into other things and then there was the clock leading to the Big Ben scene). It was not just showing off an orchestra, but the prom was a work in itself, with 'found sounds' around town fitting into the premiere of a new work. Pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                        X