No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAJAR - Radio 3 in Decline?

Am I surprised?

BBC Radio 6 Music listening figures surpass BBC Radio 3 for the first time with 1.89m weekly listeners.

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
    Two things to say

1. Radio 3's figures are terrible, but especially the listening hours.

2. 6 Music is a pop and rock station, and digital listening is a growing sector of the market.

The papers were waiting for this to happen, and now there will be calls for Radio 3 to be digital only. That said, I doubt 6 Music's audience would gain as much as Radio 3's would lose.

Breakfast is down 150,000 on last quarter and 90,000 year-on-year. So Ms Burton-Hill's PR people can salvage what they can out of that (since it was being claimed that a rise last quarter was the result of her taking over from SMP).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

La tautologie et l'usage

Comment

Interesting to note that

"Classic FM continued to host the most popular commercial breakfast show with Tim Lihoreau attracting 1.78 million listeners, up from 1.69 million the previous quarter."

So in spite of the fact that Radio 3 continues to ape Classic FM's Breakfast Show format & style its commercial rival steams ahead.

Surely the message is clear - you need to provide a distinct, distinctive and positive alternative.

Just a thought - I'd pay good money (well a fiver) to hear KD say Tim Lihoreau's name on air
        Last edited by Guest; 31-07-14, 09:15. Reason: Just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Interesting to note that

"Classic FM continued to host the most popular commercial breakfast show with Tim Lihoreau attracting 1.78 million listeners, up from 1.69 million the previous quarter."

So in spite of the fact that Radio 3 continues to ape Classic FM's Breakfast Show format & style its commercial rival steams ahead.

Surely the message is clear - you need to provide a distinct, distinctive and positive alternative.
          I echo that, speaking as a classical music enthusiast whose breakfast listening is not catered to by either station.

Comment

BBC Radio 3 has a weekly audience of 1.88 million listeners, compared to 2.0m last year and 2.09m last quarter, and the network’s share is 1.0%, from 1.2% last year and 1.3% last quarter

...... so is that "2.0m last year" the average of 4 quarters or the average of 52 weeks ? is that "1.88 million" for this quarter ? confusing figures, I seem to be comparing three different things. Thickoes like me need things spelt out clearly.

Comment

the graun description

Radio 3 has seen its audience slip below that of one of the BBC’s digital-only services for the first time.

The classical station has fallen marginally behind Radio 6 Music, the station which was once earmarked for closure but has seen its audience triple since a campaign was launched to prevent its demise in 2010.

Highbrow Radio 3 has seen its year-on-year audience shrink by 120,000 to 1.88 million, putting it 10,000 listeners behind the DAB station. It has also just said goodbye to its controller Roger Wright after almost 16 years.
              R6 is a music station albeit mostly pop and rock it is choosy ...'curated' even in comparison to the 'playlist' bundles on R1 R2 ...

if the gain for R2 is down to Evans [likely so] then the facts must be faced; personality playlist broadcasting demands talent - sadly very lacking on both Breakfast and Essential Classics ... give me five minutes of Messrs Skelly or Handley any day - the present quartet are not up to the job RW gave them of building an audience, assuming of course that it was the right methodology in the first place ...

jazz is suffering in parts of R3 - not nearly enough about the current scene and artists across Europe; Jon3 does its best but there must be much of the scene that is unsupported, as well as much serious work in other areas of composition and world types ... the issues are editorial as much or more than presentational?
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

The one thing that's really striking about the BBC lately is the arrogance and contempt of its spokespersons and press releases. First the response to the latest Clarkson Top Gear racism and now this. One could think they use the same imperious PR training as the Israeli IDS...except that the BBC merely murders broadcasting.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  the graun description

R6 is a music station albeit mostly pop and rock it is choosy ...'curated' even in comparison to the 'playlist' bundles on R1 R2 ...

if the gain for R2 is down to Evans [likely so] then the facts must be faced; personality playlist broadcasting demands talent - sadly very lacking on both Breakfast and Essential Classics ... give me five minutes of Messrs Skelly or Handley any day - the present quartet are not up to the job RW gave them of building an audience, assuming of course that it was the right methodology in the first place ...

jazz is suffering in parts of R3 - not nearly enough about the current scene and artists across Europe; Jon3 does its best but there must be much of the scene that is unsupported, as well as much serious work in other areas of composition and world types ... the issues are editorial as much or more than presentational?
                  I wonder if a nightly programme in the style of Composer of the Week for jazz musicians/composers playing full tracks would be a welcome innovation and whether it would also attract an audience of jazz ingénus like me as well as the cognescenti?

Comment

I wonder if a nightly programme in the style of Composer of the Week for jazz musicians/composers playing full tracks would be a welcome innovation and whether it would also attract an audience of jazz ingénus like me as well as the cognescenti?
                    Good call - I'd listen. There are so many ways in which the Jazz, World and New Music programming could be improved; just needs a little imagination. Sadly there is much less than "a little imagination" at R3.

BLUESNIK - I didn't know Ian Duncan Smith was an Israeli?!
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Good call - I'd listen. There are so many ways in which the Jazz, World and New Music programming could be improved; just needs a little imagination. Sadly there is much less than "a little imagination" at R3.

BLUESNIK - I didn't know Ian Duncan Smith was an Israeli?!

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat.../rajar-q2-2014

BBC Radio 3 has a weekly audience of 1.88 million listeners, compared to 2.0m last year and 2.09m last quarter, and the network’s share is 1.0%, from 1.2% last year and 1.3% last quarter

...... so is that "2.0m last year" the average of 4 quarters or the average of 52 weeks ? is that "1.88 million" for this quarter ? confusing figures, I seem to be comparing three different things. Thickoes like me need things spelt out clearly.
                        'Last year' means the same quarter last year. 1.884m is the average weekly audience over this quarter, April-June.

The problem for the BBC is that they want to show how well they're doing with the obvious, high profile stations like - well, like every station except Radio 3 which they can't even defend. That's left to a pathetic Press Office 'spokeswoman' saying oh, but it averages about 2 million and that's a jolly lot. As if anyone thinks 1.884m is 2m.

the graun description
                        The press just rewrite the BBC press releases with the odd bit of 'research', like '6 Music was threatened with closure'.
                        Last edited by french frank; 31-07-14, 10:44. Reason: word omitted
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          . As if anyone thinks 1.884m is 2m.
                          I'm sure I've heard IDS making the same claim in relation to people in work

Comment

My typo! Oh be quiet Dr. Freud.

BN.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                              My typo! Oh be quiet Dr. Freud.

BN.
                              Looking good in that slip, BN

Comment

Working...
                              X