BaL 26.02.11 Bruckner Symphonies

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 26.02.11 Bruckner Symphonies

Maybe this is a bit extreme. One week we have a comparison of orchestral versions of a 7 minute piece by Ravel. A week later we have the cycle of gigantic symphonies.
    The comparison could be of complete cycles, or of suggested mixes from different performers. Whatever happens, this is not to be missed.

Available cycles:

Staatskapelle Dresden; Jochum
    Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra/ Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra; Jochum
    Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra; Karajan
    Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra; Barenboim
    Vienna Symphony Orchestra; Andreae
    Deutches Symphonie-Orchester, Berlin/ Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra; Chailly
    Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks; Maazel
    Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra; Inbal
    Bruckner Orchestra, Linz; Eichhorn/ Guschlbauer/ Sieghart
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 18-02-11, 16:39. Reason: typo

Of course we also have the 'no 0' and F minor study symphony to consider in a 'complete cycle', I know the 'nullte' is included in some cycles not sure if the study symphony is though.

Comment

I wanted to invest in the budget Tintner cycle on Naxos but it seems to have disappeared, except for the odd overpriced copy on Amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
        Of course we also have the 'no 0' and F minor study symphony to consider in a 'complete cycle', I know the 'nullte' is included in some cycles not sure if the study symphony is though.
        AFAIK the Haitink, Barenboim, Chailly and the Bruckner-orchestra cycles include no.0; Inbal and Tintner include both 0 and the "Study" (also sometimes numbered no.00).
        Jochum and Karajan never did 0 let alone 00.

Comment

Wow - a welcome BaL but surely not to be shoehorned into a 45 min slot?! This merits a whole morning at least!

K.
          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
            Wow - a welcome BaL but surely not to be shoehorned into a 45 min slot?! This merits a whole morning at least!
            Either that, or Ravel's Alborada del gracioso merits only a few seconds.

I regret that what appeared to be a very good Abbado cycle fizzled out some years ago.

Comment

But it's not really "Building a Library", is it? It's not called that in the Schedule, and is described:

"09.30 Bruckner Symphonies: Julian Johnson assesses some recent releases of recordings new and old including..."

It's just 'New Releases' re-timed (e.g. last weekend:

"10.25 New Releases: Mahler. Edward Seckerson joins Andrew to discuss new and recent releases of Mahler recordings, including.....")

Looks to me as if they were short of a BAL reviewer, or someone didn't produce their 'Building a Library' analysis in time, and they just bunged Julian Johnson a handful of new releases and said: "fill in".

Don't get me wrong, I'll look forward to it. But it's a pity someone isn't doing a proper BAL number on the particular symphony of which there are 3 recent releases listed, No 8
              Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 18-02-11, 19:34.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

You mean I did all that "research" for nothing?

Anyway, it IS called Building a Library in the schedule.http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/programm...les/2011/02/26

Comment

No, It's simply that some here apparently missed the bold headline on the relevant web-page which reads "Building a Library: Bruckner Symphonies".

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    No, It's simply that some here apparently missed the bold headline on the relevant web-page which reads "Building a Library: Bruckner Symphonies".
                    I certainly saw that, but in fact I suspect the omission of the title in the description of the programme itself is more accurate."09.30 Bruckner Symphonies: Julian Johnson assesses some recent releases of recordings new and old including..." doesn't sound like the classic Building a Library to me.

Comment

I agree, someone who is doing this review of Bruckner symphonies, surely just cant do justisce in 45 minutes. More like the whole 3 hrs of CD R would be a better option!!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        I agree, someone who is doing this review of Bruckner symphonies, surely just cant do justisce in 45 minutes. More like the whole 3 hrs of CD R would be a better option!!
                        But they're not! They are just doing "new and recent releases" !!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          But they're not! They are just doing "new and recent releases" !!
                          I'm not sure where you found that quote but what I see on the relevant page is "09.30 Bruckner Symphonies: Julian Johnson assesses some recent releases of recordings new and old including the Eighth symphony from Klaus Tennstedt with the Berlin Philharmonic, Rafael Kubelik with the Bavarian RSO and Christian Thielemann with the Dresden Staatskapelle." [my bold]. Furthermore, the start time for the ensuing item is given as 10.45, so I take it that the duration of the Bruckner survey is to be 75 minutes rather then the usual 45.

Comment

I'm sure that within fairly recent memory the Barenboim/Berlin Phil set was the BaL recommendation for a complete set.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this. These recording sound interesting and I've enjoyed Julian Johnson's work on CD Review and Proms broadcasts in the past.

And he isn't Edward Seckerson

Comment

Working...
                              X