Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this style of presentation of a BaL.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Sorry, but for me, this is a cliche-ridden meander.

Frankly neither can think much out of the platitude box. Such a shame. And AMcG is actually the driving force getting more and more impatient with JJ, and clearly knows his Bruckner discography far better than JJ, OR knows enough about radio to get his take in early so as to take the wind out of JJ's sails.

Feels a bit shapeless to me. Not sure WHAT they are trying to do.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

Feels a bit shapeless to me. Not sure WHAT they are trying to do.
        I've heard nothing to dissuade me from my assumption in an earlier post, that they were short of a BAL reviewer, or someone didn't produce their 'Building a Library' analysis in time, and they just bunged Julian Johnson a handful of new releases and said: "fill in".

Doesn't have the focus to qualify as a "BAL", for me. I wonder if there will be a "BAL podcast" this week.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Just not sure about the basic thesis. There was always more to Bruckner
          than the HvK recordings.
          And there was more to HvK than monumentality.

Comment

So it's Janowski and the Suisse Romande. Always felt he was underrated here in Britain. And terrific to find the Suisse Romanders on such good form.

Comment

Oh I enjoyed that Bruckner BAL enormously!

JJ is a delightful assessor, knows what he wants to say and has examples to demonstrate it. I thought what he said in praising the Janowski /OSR was spot on. That's the second time that an 'outsider' has been praised to the heights on CDR in recent weeks - Andrew & Seckerson went bonkers about Saraste's Mahler symphony No 9 a few weeks back, I recall.

I enjoyed the Blomstedt and the Haitink didn't bother me as much as JJ reported.

All-in-all this hit the spot for me

Comment

I rarely make time to listen to BaL but actually gave this one my full attention. So, not having the comparisons available to other MBers here who are BaL regulars, I found it interesting and informative. Dialogue here worked for me (in general I find it a bit of an R3 obsession compared with the old days) and illuminated the different performances. I think Bruckner 8 one of the greatest symphonies. I think I may acquire the Janowski as a result. I'll have a listen on Monday.

Comment

I'm afraid I only have to hear that a two-person session is planned and I switch off. What happened to properly scripted BALs?
                  My R3 listening (like my Gramophone reading) is on the verge of petering out completely!

Comment

I found it interesting and informative. Dialogue here worked for me (in general I find it a bit of an R3 obsession compared with the old days) and illuminated the different performances.
                    I agree. Another thumbs-up for the format here, so long as the guest is as to the point as this morning's was. There was certainly more clarity than you get with some of the self-indulgent rambles/rants that crop up from time to time in the traditional format.

Comment

Well, yes, BUT actually, what came out clearest for me was Tennstedt and the BPO.

I strongly suspect they maye have gone for Suissse Romande because it's there, it's new, from an unusual provenance, and would get the BAL segment talked about.

It's good, but frankly, is it in the Tennstedt class?

Comment

I've already posted this comment on another thread, but perhaps it would be more appropriate here:

I was a little confused by the Bruckner discussion this morning. While being of interest, no doubt, to Brucknerians, it was hardly BaL, was it? Surely it was little different to the discussion between Andrew and Ed Seckerson recently on new Mahler recordings, and therefore should have been allocated a similar slot, and not marketed as BaL.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
                          I've already posted this comment on another thread, but perhaps it would be more appropriate here:

I was a little confused by the Bruckner discussion this morning. While being of interest, no doubt, to Brucknerians, it was hardly BaL, was it? Surely it was little different to the discussion between Andrew and Ed Seckerson recently on new Mahler recordings, and therefore should have been allocated a similar slot, and not marketed as BaL.
                          Ah! And I just replied there!

Anyway: exactly, as mentioned previously.

Comment

Whether it was a BAL or it wasn't (and it wasn't), it was a very good hour and a quarter of illustration and discussion which I shall listen to a second time. I 'learnt' Bruckner 8 from the Tennstedt/LPO studio recording which I still love. The ponderous late Karajan recording of No 8 (ditto of No 7) did absolutely nothing for me, and I could never understand the ecstatic critical reception they received. In fact my tastes in Bruckner often seem to run counter to received critical 'wisdom' (the studio Tennstedt always got lukewarm reviews, whereas it shivers my timbers - those horns in the slow movement!! the start of the finale!!!!!).

Comment

a supportive note for the enjoyment and discovery from this morning's BaL; not having listened to Bruckner very much at all it gave me an appealing insight into the 8th Symphony ... and the Tennstedt and the Suisse Romande were fabulous sounding music making ... i too have misgivings about the two presenter format and felt half way through that it was not entirely convincing, but by the end was grateful for the whole experience..... for someone who regards himself as unconvinced by Bruckner it was a most effective remedial class!
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Forgot to record via PVR and found there was no podcast. Why not? And why did the presenter sound so upbeat about the lack of a podcast?

Am reduced to "Listen Again" which seem unusually vulnerable to dropouts today....
                                Last edited by mathias broucek; 26-02-11, 21:59.

Comment

Working...
                                X