Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if they may have improved the algorithm in the last few years? And/or, their published bit rate is out of date, and they’re actually delivering something a bit better. Anyway, we get a kick out of watching BPO concerts live, without the trouble and expense of leaving our living room. Last one we watched was Currentzis conducting the Verdi Requiem, which seems to have become a bit of a party piece of his. Well, anyway, he is rather good at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Well, I've just bought the Decca Eloquence Vienna Philharmonic CD set, with six conductors. For many years, I've been on a quest to collect symphony cycles with this orchestra, but never got around to the Bruckner ones, because I find many of his works to be rather boring. But I finally bit the bullet this month.
      I still don’t listen often to the zeroes, or the first two numbered symphonies. I’ve only lately developed a liking for the Third.
      I wonder if certain composers, namely Bruckner and Mahler, composed with the sound of the VPO in mind? The VPO has presumably kept a more consistent sound down through the decades, and one cannot say the same for the Berliner Philharmoniker.
      The BP sounds different under the batons of Furtwangler, Karaja,n Abbado, and Rattle (not enough experience yet with KP to have an opinion). So while a VPO cycle makes some sense to me, a BP set is just a marketing ploy

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        A long time ago in a galaxy far away, the DCH offered the live concerts in 320 kbps aac (as Radio 3 etc of course still does), and I could scarcely keep away.
        Was it really as long ago as 2010, that I took almost every concert that autumn? But shortly after that, they reduced it to 256 live (to accommodate an ever-growing worldwide audience without freeze or buffering), a level my ears are never really happy with, especially on classical strings..... I recall asking them if they could at least make the 320 available as a choice, they said they might....but it never happened...

They still send me a free 7-day pass each year with the program book, but what with Qobuz-S and other disc-based ways of listening to the higher-res, I never seem to get around to using it for the archive....
        I didn’t buy the DCH beyond a one month free trial. I listened via my MacAir connected by usb to my DAC and was underwhelmed.
        My DAC doesn’t specify bit rates but I was under the impression that DCH was supposed to be “CD Quality “ from their marketing. Thanks for clarifying that

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I didn’t buy the DCH beyond a one month free trial. I listened via my MacAir connected by usb to my DAC and was underwhelmed.
          My DAC doesn’t specify bit rates but I was under the impression that DCH was supposed to be “CD Quality “ from their marketing. Thanks for clarifying that
          In the early days of DAB radio, some tried to sell it as CD or 'near CD' audio quality. That was when it was using 192 kbps mp2 (approximately equivalent to 128 kbps mp3 in audio quality) as its CODEC setting for all four main BBC national channels (1, 2, 3 and 4).

Comment

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
            I wonder if they may have improved the algorithm in the last few years? And/or, their published bit rate is out of date, and they’re actually delivering something a bit better. Anyway, we get a kick out of watching BPO concerts live, without the trouble and expense of leaving our living room. Last one we watched was Currentzis conducting the Verdi Requiem, which seems to have become a bit of a party piece of his. Well, anyway, he is rather good at it.
            I check regularly in case they upgrade it (see my link above, the detail isn't easy to find, under FAQ and "Concert Info"), so AFAIK (AFACanBeAscertained) the link I gave is uptodate....as I said, I did correspond with them about it a few years ago.... open to anyone else to ask them now....

But of course lossy codecs can vary in quality re. implementation...

Comment

Well, I've just bought the Decca Eloquence Vienna Philharmonic CD set, with six conductors. For many years, I've been on a quest to collect symphony cycles with this orchestra, but never got around to the Bruckner ones, because I find many of his works to be rather boring. But I finally bit the bullet this month.
              Verdict!?!

Comment

Looks good from the conductor list . As yet no Amazon reviews . For some reason Bruckner reviewers on Amazon seem to disagree rather over the merits of recordings....every one has an opinion on how it should go...

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                  Looks good from the conductor list . As yet no Amazon reviews . For some reason Bruckner reviewers on Amazon seem to disagree rather over the merits of recordings....every one has an opinion on how it should go...
                  Especially if they’re called Haas or Nowak.

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                    Most of the box consists of familiar and oft-reissued recordings.... I've had the famous Bohm 4th on LP and at least two CD versions (incl. the DD with the 3rd)...the Solti 7th was one the first Bruckner LPs I ever bought & became rather well-worn........ but I better practise critical discretion here......
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 29-12-19, 20:27.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Verdict!?!
                      I'm no Bruckner expert. I only really warm to the 5th. I even bought a score of it, back in 1974.
                      My opinion doesn't count for much with Bruckner, but I hope that will change.

I already had the Bohm and Mehta recordings from this set, and the Decca sound alone enhances my opinion of Bruckner a little. I still have to listen to 6-8.

Comment

I'm no Bruckner expert. I only really warm to the 5th. I even bought a score of it, back in 1974.
                        My opinion doesn't count for much with Bruckner, but I hope that will change.

I already had the Bohm and Mehta recordings from this set, and the Decca sound alone enhances my opinion of Bruckner a little. I still have to listen to 6-8.
                        Thanks for the reply alps,
                        I have all but Abbado 1, Stein 2/6 - the others I think all good and I really like the Solti 7.

Comment

Working...
                        X