X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2007

Found out today that the next volume of the Beethoven symphony transcriptions by Scharwenka (vol.5) is due out on the SOMM label towards the end of June
    Best regards,
    Jonathan

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

Back in HK for a week - and browsing in Percival Records a great way to escape the rain. A proper record shop which Roger et al might recognise. Anyway, today's finds included a remastered (and SACD-ified) version of Jascha Horenstein's Unicorn recording of Mahler 1 with the LSO. No idea what it'll sound like - and no idea whether it'll be available in the UK - but worth a punt. Already regretting not buying the Tower Records Japan SACD of Sir JB's Schubert 9th but that will justify a further visit later in the week.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

I was in London recently and popped into the HMV shop. To say I was bitterly disappointed would be an understatement. It was a very faint shadow of its former self and was little better than the ‘mini-me’ HMV shop we have in Edinburgh. I remember going to the London shop many years ago and being absolutely bowled over by the sheer size and breadth of stock.

Ah well.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          I was in London recently and popped into the HMV shop. To say I was bitterly disappointed would be an understatement. It was a very faint shadow of its former self and was little better than the ‘mini-me’ HMV shop we have in Edinburgh. I remember going to the London shop many years ago and being absolutely bowled over by the sheer size and breadth of stock.

Ah well.
          I think that the only place in London that's still got a good stock of classical CDs is Foyles in Charing Cross Road. They also have a reasonably good selection of second hand CDs as well.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

I think that the only place in London that's still got a good stock of classical CDs is Foyles in Charing Cross Road. They also have a reasonably good selection of second hand CDs as well.
            I’ll check them out next time I’m in London. I was there a month ago and my first port of call was Notting Hill Gate exchange. Alas, I was only in town for 30 hours so I was disappointed to find that their classical basement didn’t open until 13.00. I still managed to pick up some interesting discs from their selection upstairs but it was frustrating all the same. I’ll know next time.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Yet another unknown (to me) French baroque composer from the seemingly inexhaustible Brilliant Classics stable

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2007

Some weeks ago, I mentioned (on the Now Spinning thread) that I was really enjoying Florian Noack's Lyapunov set and was sad that he'd not recorded any more. Today, I had a helpful email from Amazon saying he's recorded the Transcendental Etudes. Another one added to the wishlist!
                Best regards,
                Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                X