X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
    cause it was to be a piano concerto?

3VS

Exactly. I thought that this should have been mentioned, particularly in view of the detailed descriptions given of each of the individual movements.

Comment

[QUOTE=french frank;38198]This week's CotW is a repeat.

Missed the first broadcast of this COTW, and was extremely pleased to hear it this time round. They can play it every week as far as I am concerned.

It brought home to me how much my musical tastes are influenced by the later works of Stravinsky.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
        They can play it every week as far as I am concerned.
        There's been alot of Stravinsky played in the room I'm sitting in at the moment I can tell you

Comment

Found in a charity shop in Windsor today for £2, Stravinsky - Firebird (the classic 1959 recording) , Fireworks, Tango Scherzo a la Russe, and The Song of the Nightingale - LSO, Dorati (the 1991 Philips CD issue). They are fondly remembered from their LP version, and I am glad to hear them again:

Last edited by Bryn; 19-03-11, 22:14.

Comment

Bryn, have you still got that link to that price comparison tool that monitors Amazon and other music websites for the best buy? I have had to do a complete system restore on my laptop in the last couple of days and can't for the life of me remember what it was called! Cheers in advance.

Comment

Here you go, it's called Invisible Hand.

Comment

Cheers Bryn - I knew there was a vaguely Conan Doyle-ish ring to the name!

Comment

Anybody popping on to this forum and browsing the " Composers" subforum might be surprised to find Stravinsky not yet added !

Anyway, I'm just about 100 pages into the Eric Walter White book at the moment so discussion of classic performances would be good to "go with."
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 01-10-17, 12:10. Reason: Trypo.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Anybody popping on to this forum and browsing the " Composers" subforum might be surprised to find Stravinsky not yet added !

Anyway, I'm just about 100 pages into the Eric Walter White book at the moment so discussion of clasic performances would be good to "go with."
                    What are you waiting for, then?
                    I'm just working my way through the 6CD DG Boulez Stravinsky set that arrived yesterday.
                    Some crystal-clear renditions, as you'd expect.
                    I need to check if my recollection of an editing blip in the last movement of the Symphony of Psalms is accurate or not.

Hope you're enjoying the White book!

PS: Nothing untoward spotted, and noone else seems ever to have commented on this.
                    I wonder if CD Review (or whatever I first heard the snippet on) had an early release version that subsequently got redited.
                    Or perhaps I'm just mistaken.
                    Last edited by Pulcinella; 01-10-17, 12:56. Reason: PS added.

Comment

EWW's "Stravinsky" was my strongly requested birthday present in 1968. Still my 'go to', despite having added Walsh, Craft et al to my shelves over the years. Rex Lawson's performance of the player piano version of the Rite of Spring at the Other Minds Nancarrow 100 celebrations was something special. I have a 160kbps mp3 provided as a reward for contributing to the crowd funding. There is also a Nimbus CD with Rex playing not only the Rite, but also Petrushka and the Etude for Pianola. I have not (yet) heard that, but intend to.
                      Last edited by Bryn; 01-10-17, 12:17. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        What are you waiting for, then?
                        I'm just working my way through the 6CD DG Boulez Stravinsky set that arrived yesterday.
                        Some crystal-clear renditions, as you'd expect.
                        I need to check if my recollection of an editing blip in the last movement of the Symphony of Psalms is accurate or not.

Hope you're enjoying the White book!
                        Very much enjoying thanks, but slow progress due to heavy workload over the last week or so.

Hopefully things should start to ease off a bit now.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                        X