Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pleasant surprise

I discovered that Andre Previn's outstanding recording of Metamorphosen was available on one of those Classic FM full works CDs as my cassette is getting a little thin .

It is coupled with a number of recordings but most notably the Kiri/VPO/Solti recording of the Four Last Songs . As I am not a fan of her Andrew Davis recording which struck me as syrupy this was a pleasant surprise much more idiomatic and far better accompanied Solti was one hell of a Richard Strauss conductor as his superb Rosenkavailer recording shows and Kiri really responds to his support . Highly recommended .

The VPO Previn Metamorphosen is just as fine as I remembered.

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Andre Previn's outstanding recording of Metamorphosen
    Long been my favourite version - since getting the original CD issue shortly after its appearance, coupled with the late "Invalid's Workshop" Sonatina for 16 wind instruments, which I also love:

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 09-10-16, 00:28.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Previn's Richard Strauss recordings with the VPO came out on a variety of labels (EMI, Philip, DG and Telarc) which I suppose prevents a boxed set from ever appearing, but they are all very fine indeed. I'd single out his Alpensinfonie on Telarc as being of particular excellence. On the whole they have been generally under-rated and I'll be searching out those I don't have.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Long been my favourite version - since getting the original CD issue shortly after its appearance, coupled with the late "Invalid's Workshop" Sonatina for 16 wind instruments, which I also love:

Totally agree - this is one the very best recordings of Metamorphosen that I know, and speaking for myself, I think it's one of Previn's finest records. It's always been a bit of a "sleeper" - deserves to be far better known - and I treasure it. For me, none of his other VPO Strauss quite reaches the expressive heights of this superb performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Previn's Richard Strauss recordings with the VPO came out on a variety of labels (EMI, Philip, DG and Telarc) which I suppose prevents a boxed set from ever appearing, but they are all very fine indeed. I'd single out his Alpensinfonie on Telarc as being of particular excellence. On the whole they have been generally under-rated and I'll be searching out those I don't have.
          There has been a box set on Telarc, which simply collects the 4 separate Telarc CD's into a cardboard sleeve.

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
            There has been a box set on Telarc, which simply collects the 4 separate Telarc CD's into a cardboard sleeve.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-R...strauss+telarc
            Disc 3 was at one time my preferred CD recording of Eine Alpensinfonie, but that was at a time when there were relatively few available. The recorded sound is spectacular, but has the irritating habit of zooming in on solo strings.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Disc 3 was at one time my preferred CD recording of Eine Alpensinfonie, but that was at a time when there were relatively few available. The recorded sound is spectacular, but has the irritating habit of zooming in on solo strings.
              Its the only recording of Eine Alpensinfonie that I possess !

Comment

Generally, I think, critics and observers alike, thought that Andre Previn had "gone off the boil", after he left the LSO. But these Richard Strauss recordings certainly look interesting!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Just to say the Kiri Four Last Songs and the Previn Metamorphosen are available on Naxos Music Library - in my case, having tried - listened - I decided to buy. I tried to track down the Classic FM CD - took some finding - searches didn't show it initially. However it is at the river people - ASIN B0027CAQOO. I've ordered that CD. What a contribution Previn has made over such a wide repertory. Thanks for the recommendation
                  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0027CAQ...oding=UTF8&me=
                  As to the Four Last Songs (Kiri/Solti) the Gramophone critic certainly agreed :
                  “This must be one of the most enjoyable of Dame Kiri’s discs. It deserves to be in the collection of every Straussian or indeed of any Lieder enthusiast. These two artists … seem to gain a new charge of enthusiasm from their work together. That is indubitably the case in their account of the Four Last Songs”
                  (Quote from the Presto page - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4788911 - indicates it is available as a Decca CD in UK (Catalogue No:4788911 Decca Virtuoso (series)))

NML details - http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...895#post579895

Comment

They are still available in HMV shops .

Comment

Working...
                    X