Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anna Nicole on Radio 3

Default Anna Nicole on Radio 3

If you missed it at the ROH or on BBC4 - here's another chance to catch Turnage's Anna Nicole: it's a late night Opera on 3 this Saturday, 2 April, at 9.30pm.
    Last edited by french frank; 04-04-11 at 11:48. Reason: Updated url to Listen Again

And also now on iPlayer.

terrible....

Quote Originally Posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    terrible....
    Do you mean the opera, the performance, or iPlayer?

the opera....sorry I should have kept my opinion to myself, because I haven't really got time to debate, nor musical knowledge/speak....sorry

I was grateful to ROH for putting this on, and for BBC for broadcasting it. It's something I wanted to hear, as a newly composed opera based on recent events.

Not that I can make a critical analysis of it. But it had mixed reviews, some of which were enthusiastic:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12503718

Clearly it's not in the same league of Composition as Das Rheingold. But the great opera composers were mostly 19th Century, in a greatly different society. Is it fair to make a one to one comparison with great works of the past, in order to make a judgement on Anna Nicole?

Quote Originally Posted by french frank View Post
    If you missed it at the ROH or on BBC4 - here's another chance to catch Turnage's Anna Nicole: it's a late night Opera on 3 this Saturday, 2 April, at 9.30pm.
    And while it's still there, don't forget the BBC FOUR iPlayer offering. I missed both broadcasts but now have them on ice. I suppose with a modicum of effort I could have them as ICE.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    Is it fair to make a one to one comparison with great works of the past, in order to make a judgement on Anna Nicole?
    I suppose we can describe it, the music and the drama. There isn't any absolute need to make comparisons. Although it's probably perfectly fair to compare it with Turnage's other works.

Quote Originally Posted by french frank View Post
    I suppose we can describe it, the music and the drama. There isn't any absolute need to make comparisons. Although it's probably perfectly fair to compare it with Turnage's other works.
    I like it, but is Turnage losing his bite, am I alone in thinking that the music was much less "biting" than we are used to?

Quote Originally Posted by Roehre View Post
    I like it, but is Turnage losing his bite, am I alone in thinking that the music was much less "biting" than we are used to?
    Well, his operas alone have been appearing for 20 years now (list courtesy Wiki):

Greek (1986–88), in two acts
    Twice Through the Heart (1994–96), dramatic scena for mezzo-soprano and ensemble
    Country of the Blind (1997), chamber opera
    The Silver Tassie (1997–99), in four acts
    Anna Nicole (2008–2010), premiere on 17 February 2011 at the Royal Opera House

Is he getting 'fat and complacent', musically speaking?