Anna Nicole on Radio 3

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anna Nicole on Radio 3

If you missed it at the ROH or on BBC4 - here's another chance to catch Turnage's Anna Nicole: it's a late night Opera on 3 this Saturday, 2 April, at 9.30pm.
    Last edited by french frank; 04-04-11, 10:48. Reason: Updated url to Listen Again
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

And also now on iPlayer.

Comment

terrible....
      bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        terrible....
        Do you mean the opera, the performance, or iPlayer?

Comment

the opera....sorry I should have kept my opinion to myself, because I haven't really got time to debate, nor musical knowledge/speak....sorry
          bong ching

Comment

I was grateful to ROH for putting this on, and for BBC for broadcasting it. It's something I wanted to hear, as a newly composed opera based on recent events.

Not that I can make a critical analysis of it. But it had mixed reviews, some of which were enthusiastic:
            The UK's critics have their say on the new opera based on the controversial life of the model Anna Nicole Smith.

Clearly it's not in the same league of Composition as Das Rheingold. But the great opera composers were mostly 19th Century, in a greatly different society. Is it fair to make a one to one comparison with great works of the past, in order to make a judgement on Anna Nicole?

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              If you missed it at the ROH or on BBC4 - here's another chance to catch Turnage's Anna Nicole: it's a late night Opera on 3 this Saturday, 2 April, at 9.30pm.
              And while it's still there, don't forget the BBC FOUR iPlayer offering. I missed both broadcasts but now have them on ice. I suppose with a modicum of effort I could have them as ICE.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                Is it fair to make a one to one comparison with great works of the past, in order to make a judgement on Anna Nicole?
                I suppose we can describe it, the music and the drama. There isn't any absolute need to make comparisons. Although it's probably perfectly fair to compare it with Turnage's other works.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I suppose we can describe it, the music and the drama. There isn't any absolute need to make comparisons. Although it's probably perfectly fair to compare it with Turnage's other works.
                  I like it, but is Turnage losing his bite, am I alone in thinking that the music was much less "biting" than we are used to?

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    I like it, but is Turnage losing his bite, am I alone in thinking that the music was much less "biting" than we are used to?
                    Well, his operas alone have been appearing for 20 years now (list courtesy Wiki):

Greek (1986–88), in two acts
                    Twice Through the Heart (1994–96), dramatic scena for mezzo-soprano and ensemble
                    Country of the Blind (1997), chamber opera
                    The Silver Tassie (1997–99), in four acts
                    Anna Nicole (2008–2010), premiere on 17 February 2011 at the Royal Opera House

Is he getting 'fat and complacent', musically speaking?

Comment

Missed it! I dont do opera but I was going to hear bits of it as it's a new work.
                      But I was coming back from Wetherspoons and I couldnt find my batteries for the radio.
                      (They were in the radio!)

3VS

Comment

Well, his operas alone have been appearing for 20 years now (list courtesy Wiki):

Greek (1986–88), in two acts
                        Twice Through the Heart (1994–96), dramatic scena for mezzo-soprano and ensemble
                        Country of the Blind (1997), chamber opera
                        The Silver Tassie (1997–99), in four acts
                        Anna Nicole (2008–2010), premiere on 17 February 2011 at the Royal Opera House

Is he getting 'fat and complacent', musically speaking?
                        Listening to Anna Nicole (which I certainly did enjoy), there might be something of Turnage becoming a bit 'fat and complacent' IMO I'm afraid

Comment

Working...
                        X