Eva Zaïcik, mezzo-soprano
    Emiliano Gonzalez‐Toro, tenor
    Magnus Staveland, tenor
    Virgile Ancely, bass
    Renaud Bres, bass
    Geoffroy Buffière, bass
    Ensemble Pygmalion
    Raphaël Pichon, director

Before there was Bach's Mass in B minor or Beethoven's Missa solemnis there was Monteverdi's Vespers, a choral masterpiece of unprecedented musical scope and audacious beauty. The work's textural extremes, multiple choirs and sonic effects are brought to life in a performance marking the 450th anniversary of the composer's birth.
    Award-winning French Baroque ensemble Pygmalion makes its Proms debut under its director Raphaël Pichon, together with an exciting line-up of young soloists.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 28-07-17, 12:40.

I do hope this will not sound like a "line-up of young soloists".

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Well, I think that our friend teamsaint plans on being there, so he'll be able to tell us how exciting it is (as well as what they're all wearing).

Comment

What makes you think it might/could be? [ed.] Oh I see. I’ve just seen ‘an exciting line-up of young soloists’ bit
        You/we can find out tomorrow morning on Record Review.

9.00pm
        Stravaganza d'Amore!
        BRUNELLI, BUONAMENTE, CACCINI, MARENZIO and more
        Ensemble Pygmalion, Raphael Pichon (conductor)

It’s good to see this work performed at the Prom by a ‘new to the Proms’ group.

Comment

Anyone heard of this group before?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
            You/we can find out tomorrow morning on Record Review.

9.00pm
            Stravaganza d'Amore!
            BRUNELLI, BUONAMENTE, CACCINI, MARENZIO and more
            Ensemble Pygmalion, Raphael Pichon (conductor)

Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Anyone heard of this group before?
              Yes. They are fabulous!

Festival des Abbayes Senones, Moyenmoutier,Etival Août 2010Ensemble Pygmalion. Dir Raphael Pichon

Comment

Before there was Bach's Mass in B minor or Beethoven's Missa solemnis there was Monteverdi's Vespers,
                Was, or were?

One for Pedants' Paradise?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Was, or were?

Was, if it's thought of as one piece of music.
                  (IMHO, of course!)

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    Was, if it's thought of as one piece of music.
                    (IMHO, of course!)
                    - the individual movements making up a single, composite work.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

"Vespers "sixth canonical hour" is attested from 1610s, from plural of Latin vespera "evening;" the native name was evensong (Old English æfen-sang)."

In the liturgy it's a collective term for the prayers and psalms sung or recited at that hour.

vesper (n.)

"late 14c., "the evening star," from Old French vespre "evening, nightfall" (12c., Modern French vêpre), from Latin vesper (masc.), vespera (fem.) "evening star, evening, west," related to Greek hesperos, and ultimately from PIE root *wes-pero- "evening, night" (source also of Old Church Slavonic večeru, Polish wieczór, Russian vecherŭ, Lithuanian vakaras, Welsh ucher, Old Irish fescor "evening"), perhaps an enlarged form of root *we- "down" (source of Sanskrit avah "down, downward"), thus literally "direction in which the sun sets." Meaning "evening" is attested from c. 1600."

Of course, Monteverdi's collection cannot be performed liturgically in it's entirety because the motets have nothing to do with the liturgy, and are really replacements for the appropriate Marian antiphons which should be heard twice (before and after) their respective psalms in the Roman Rite.

NVV

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Was, or were?

I wondered about that when I cut and paste from the Radio 3 website. The only changes I normally make are the obliteration of details about presenters.

Comment

Regarding Pedants' Paradise...

Before there was Bach's Mass in B minor or Beethoven's Missa solemnis there was Monteverdi's Vespers, a choral masterpiece of unprecedented musical scope and audacious beauty
                          ... only one of those three pieces may properly be described as "choral". I wonder how many singers this performance will feature. The seven named soloists are not quite enough to perform the whole work.

While Monteverdi's Vesper psalms with their various interpolations don't form a liturgical unity, so that there's no point in trying to shoehorn them into some kind of quasi-liturgical performance, the publication does form a unity in an encyclopaedic sense, a little like the Kunst der Fuge especially in its basing all the psalm settings and Magnificat on plainsong, which Monteverdi as far as I know didn't do in any of his other works. The idea of performing them "complete" is a modern idea (as again with the KdF) - while such a thing presumably wouldn't have taken place in the 17th century, it does powerfully illuminate aspects of Monteverdi's musical thought which would otherwise be missed.

Comment

I'm looking forward to a singular performance tonight!

Comment

Tonight's Prom was shown as being one of those to be made available 'live' in binaural sound. Sadly it is a bit of a mess. It comes and goes, the web page switching between the current Prom, Sundays, and the stored Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique. Hopefully they wil sort it for later for later access. It's back at the moment, and very good, but I await it collapsing again without warning.

Comment

Working...
                              X