Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: BaL 16.04.11 - Prokofiev: Symphony no. 6

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lord Howells' Barren Wasteland
    Posts
    7,741

    Default BaL 16.04.11 - Prokofiev: Symphony no. 6

    Jonathan Swain recommends a recording of this 'elegy of the tragedies of World War II.'

    Some available versions:

    L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande - Ansermet
    Boston Symphony Orchestra - Leinsdorf
    National Orchestra of the ORFT - Martinon
    Scottish National Orchestra - Jarvi
    Cleveland Orchestra - Ashkenazy
    French National Orchestra - Rostropovich
    Ukraine National Symphony Orchestra - Kuchar
    Moscow State Symphony Orchestra - Rozhdestvensky
    LSO - Weller
    LSO -Gergiev
    BPO - Ozawa
    Gürzenich-Orchester Köln -Kitajenko
    Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra -Paavo Berglund
    Moscow Radio Philharmonic Orchestra - Rozhdestvensky

    Other versions which may be obtainable:

    Leningrad PO - Mravinsky (several versions)
    National Symphony Orchestra - Slatkin
    Czech PO - Kosler
    NKH SO - Dutoit
    Philadelphia - Ormandy
    USSR Ministry of Culture State SO - Rozhdestvensky


    With a more manageable number of recordings available, this promises to be a meaningful version of of Building a Library.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 19-06-11 at 10:18. Reason: Other recordings

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lord Howells' Barren Wasteland
    Posts
    7,741

    Default

    The list is so short that I wonder whether there may be serious omissions. Also, does anyone know whether the starred one is Berglund or Rattle? It's in a set and who conducts the individual symphonies is not clear to me.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    It's unfortunate the Leningrad/Mravinsky on Praga or other labels is deleted.

    Berglund/Rattle don't appear here:

    http://www.prokofiev.org/recordings/...cfm?WorkID=144

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lord Howells' Barren Wasteland
    Posts
    7,741

    Default

    I may have "Hostily" started this thread, but I admit that I don't know this work at all.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Holby City
    Posts
    779

    Default

    Its good. Its the best one.
    3VS

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Are you sure some of these aren't just wishful thinking?

    I love the idea that Berglund, Rattle or Sir Colin might record this piece but the latter in particular seems a rather surreal idea....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lord Howells' Barren Wasteland
    Posts
    7,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
    Are you sure some of these aren't just wishful thinking?

    I love the idea that Berglund, Rattle or Sir Colin might record this piece but the latter in particular seems a rather surreal idea....
    Point made. I've checked it out and neither version exists. (Well it was 4.00 a.m.)
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 08-04-11 at 17:25.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Braccan Heal
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Re. Rozhdestvensky. don't forget his Moscow Radio Philharmonic survey of the symphonies has just been release in new transfers by Melodiya. The 6th from that mid-'60s set has got to be in the running, surely? You don't get the somewhat quirky set of 'fill-ups' which were found in the EMI/Melodiya LP set, by the way, just the 7 symphonies (and, of course, no first version of the 4th).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lord Howells' Barren Wasteland
    Posts
    7,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn View Post
    Re. Rozhdestvensky. don't forget his Moscow Radio Philharmonic survey of the symphonies has just been release in new transfers by Melodiya. The 6th from that mid-'60s set has got to be in the running, surely? You don't get the somewhat quirky set of 'fill-ups' which were found in the EMI/Melodiya LP set, by the way, just the 7 symphonies (and, of course, no first version of the 4th).
    I haven't seen this version anywhere yet, but I've taken your word for it and have added it to the list.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    4,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    I haven't seen this version anywhere yet, but I've taken your word for it and have added it to the list.
    Here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphonies-M...2372614&sr=1-1

    I bought the Melodiya LP of the 6th from a Moscow Beriozka shop in 1982 and I recall that this was always considered the best of the set. Not played it for many years and do not, as yet, have the boxed set.
    “Every piece of music is a rehearsal of one’s life,” - Sir Colin Davis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •