BaL 16.04.11 - Prokofiev: Symphony no. 6

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BaL 16.04.11 - Prokofiev: Symphony no. 6

Jonathan Swain recommends a recording of this 'elegy of the tragedies of World War II.'

Some available versions:

L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande - Ansermet
    Boston Symphony Orchestra - Leinsdorf
    National Orchestra of the ORFT - Martinon
    Scottish National Orchestra - Jarvi
    Cleveland Orchestra - Ashkenazy
    French National Orchestra - Rostropovich
    Ukraine National Symphony Orchestra - Kuchar
    Moscow State Symphony Orchestra - Rozhdestvensky
    LSO - Weller
    LSO -Gergiev
    BPO - Ozawa
    Gürzenich-Orchester Köln -Kitajenko
    Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra -Paavo Berglund
    Moscow Radio Philharmonic Orchestra - Rozhdestvensky

Other versions which may be obtainable:

Leningrad PO - Mravinsky (several versions)
    National Symphony Orchestra - Slatkin
    Czech PO - Kosler
    NKH SO - Dutoit
    Philadelphia - Ormandy
    USSR Ministry of Culture State SO - Rozhdestvensky

With a more manageable number of recordings available, this promises to be a meaningful version of of Building a Library.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 19-06-11, 09:18. Reason: Other recordings

The list is so short that I wonder whether there may be serious omissions. Also, does anyone know whether the starred one is Berglund or Rattle? It's in a set and who conducts the individual symphonies is not clear to me.

Comment

It's unfortunate the Leningrad/Mravinsky on Praga or other labels is deleted.

Berglund/Rattle don't appear here:

Comment

I may have "Hostily" started this thread, but I admit that I don't know this work at all.

Comment

Its good. Its the best one.
          3VS

Comment

Are you sure some of these aren't just wishful thinking?

I love the idea that Berglund, Rattle or Sir Colin might record this piece but the latter in particular seems a rather surreal idea....

Comment

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
              Are you sure some of these aren't just wishful thinking?

I love the idea that Berglund, Rattle or Sir Colin might record this piece but the latter in particular seems a rather surreal idea....
              Point made. I've checked it out and neither version exists. (Well it was 4.00 a.m.)
              Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 08-04-11, 16:25.

Comment

Re. Rozhdestvensky. don't forget his Moscow Radio Philharmonic survey of the symphonies has just been release in new transfers by Melodiya. The 6th from that mid-'60s set has got to be in the running, surely? You don't get the somewhat quirky set of 'fill-ups' which were found in the EMI/Melodiya LP set, by the way, just the 7 symphonies (and, of course, no first version of the 4th).

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Re. Rozhdestvensky. don't forget his Moscow Radio Philharmonic survey of the symphonies has just been release in new transfers by Melodiya. The 6th from that mid-'60s set has got to be in the running, surely? You don't get the somewhat quirky set of 'fill-ups' which were found in the EMI/Melodiya LP set, by the way, just the 7 symphonies (and, of course, no first version of the 4th).
                  I haven't seen this version anywhere yet, but I've taken your word for it and have added it to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    I haven't seen this version anywhere yet, but I've taken your word for it and have added it to the list.
                    Here it is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphonies-M...2372614&sr=1-1

I bought the Melodiya LP of the 6th from a Moscow Beriozka shop in 1982 and I recall that this was always considered the best of the set. Not played it for many years and do not, as yet, have the boxed set.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I have a Decca recording from 1998 with Charles Dutoit conducting the NHK SO, which I suspect is by now nla. As to my ears it rather skates over the surface of the piece, I am in the market for a good new version and so will be listening more intently than usual. I am glad that it is in the hands of JS, who is usually a model broadcaster and whose judgement I trust.

Comment

Since there are so few available recordings in the list, I've added a few deleted ones.

I don't suppose any recording over 10 years old will be considered anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          Jonathan Swain recommends a recording of this 'elegy of the tragedies of World War II.'

Some available versions:

National Orchestra of the ORFT - Martinon

Other versions which may be obtainable:

ORTF National Orchestra - Martinon
                          Are these perhaps the same?? (Sorry EA, it's the editor/ proof-reader in me...)
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

It's been a bad day.

Thanks. I'll adjust it immediately

Comment

I've got the Decca NHK one and the Chandos Scottish one (Box set).

One ends fast, one ends slow.

Which is correct, do you think?

3VS

Comment

Working...
                              X