Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    I haven't seen this version anywhere yet, but I've taken your word for it and have added it to the list.
    I had it on 'pre-order' from Presto Classical. It arrived last week, along with three new Sony/BMG new boxed sets and the Kondrashin recording of the Bowdlerized version of Prokofiev's Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October Revolution (i.e minus the Stalin settings, and with the Philosophers movements repeated at the end). I have to admit I prefer the Elder 'live' recording of the full version that was issued on a BBC Music Magazine cover disc (coupled with an excellent performance of Shostakovich's 2nd Symphony).

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
      Its good. Its the best one.
      3VS
      I've heard this said and have dutifully tried to find something extra-meaty in it via the SNO/ Jarvi recording.

But I have to say that I find it a very shut-away work, and would still go - and recommend Prokofiev-symphony virgins to go - to the 5th symphony first among the big P symphonies. Or even the 3rd. (I'll take the 1st and possibly the 7th as read, being shorter, more easily assimilable works.)
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

No.6 doesnt give the game away straight away like some of the others. could be why the Simpson Symphony book described it as not the best Prokofiev symphony but the best Prokofiev work!

It is best to hear all the others first.
        Played this last night. the Chandos CD. sounds a lot angrier than the NHK one!

3VS

Comment

If Prokofiev symphony no.4 original was more widley available then this would also be a good first accessable work for new Prokofiev fans!

3VS

Comment

Prokofiev's sixth symphony? A rare and rather difficult item. In response to earlier posts, I found a CD (see below) and played it in the car on my way to the shops. I didnt find it easy and I'm not sure I even recognised it this time round. More work needed, and necessary, this is a rough diamond, but a diamond none the less. At this time (near midnight, 14.04.2011) I note the existence of:

CD
            - Orchestre de National de France, cond. Rostropovich (elatus)

LP
            - Boston SO, cond. Leinsdorf (RCA)
            - Leningrad PO, cond. Mravinsky (Artia, mono)
            - the same, MK (I think the W. European issue of Artia)
            - LPO, cond. Weller (Decca).

Comment

I have the complete cycle with RSNO/Jarvi. All very good, as I have listened to them all!!!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                I have the complete cycle with RSNO/Jarvi. All very good, as I have listened to them all!!!
                I also find this set (RSNO) tremendous as well as being technically engineered to perfection. I also have the Naxos set with the National Orchestra of Ukraine. I would also recommend that set. Totally earthy - cuts to the chase. I don't think I can honestly say that one set is better than the other.... both are great.
                Last edited by visualnickmos; 15-04-11, 18:52. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                  I also find this set (RSNO) tremendous as well as being technically engineered to perfection. I also have the Naxos set with the National Orchestra of Ukraine. I would also recommend that set. Totally earthy - cuts to the chase. I don't think I can honestly say that one set is better than the other.... both are great.

That orchestra, have they recorded before for Naxos?
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    That orchestra, have they recorded before for Naxos?
                    I wondered abot that too. When was first launched, they used mainly East European Orchestras, but I can't recall any others from this source.

Comment

Naxos have used the orchestra quite a bit.

Comment

Thanks for that, Bryn.

Comment

The orchestra's recording of Pictures at an Exhibition, conducted by Theodore Kuchar, is extremely good.

Looking forward to this morning's BaL; Jonathain Swain = the voice of reason.

And an old style/ single presenter BaL to boot!
                          Last edited by Il Grande Inquisitor; 16-04-11, 08:32.
                          Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                            Looking forward to this morning's BaL; Jonathain Swain = the voice of reason.

And an old style/ single presenter BaL to boot!
                            Yep. No interruptions.

Comment

An interesting point about the trumpets of the National Orchestra of Ukraine sounding too "blended". I wonder how much the strident tone we often associate with orchestras of the former Soviet Union was more a feature of the often appalling recording quality of those 60s and 70s recordings.

Comment

Gergiev was the "winner" and it seems a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X