Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Re. Rozhdestvensky. don't forget his Moscow Radio Philharmonic survey of the symphonies has just been release in new transfers by Melodiya. The 6th from that mid-'60s set has got to be in the running, surely? You don't get the somewhat quirky set of 'fill-ups' which were found in the EMI/Melodiya LP set, by the way, just the 7 symphonies (and, of course, no first version of the 4th).
    Hi Bryn

I am quite interested in the Rozhdestvensky set from the '60s. Has anyone seen the set on CD reviewed? Or even its original incarnation on vinyl?

K.
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
      I am quite interested in the Rozhdestvensky set from the '60s. Has anyone seen the set on CD reviewed? Or even its original incarnation on vinyl?
      Here's the Gramophone review of the original set on vinyl. I recommend seeking out the individual symphonies' reviews as they provide greater detail on performance and recording. They can all be found (relatively) easily using the site's search engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
        Hi Bryn

K.
        Jonathan Swain made a brief reference to the recording of the 6th during the BaL review. He was not over-enthusiastic about the tempi adopted. I got the set to replace my damaged LPs. I might try to rescue a few of the 'fill-ups' form the vinyl, however. Sorry, but I don't recall having read any reviews of the set at the time I bought it in LP format. I simply got it on trust, and was happy with what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
          Here's the Gramophone review of the original set on vinyl. I recommend seeking out the individual symphonies' reviews as they provide greater detail on performance and recording. They can all be found (relatively) easily using the site's search engine.
          I am greatly obliged, m'Lud....
          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Working...
          X