Today's the day... What do we think of Proms season 2011?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's the day... What do we think of Proms season 2011?

Always interesting to see 'first glance' reactions when the Proms season is announced. Noon, I think?

Let's see...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Always interesting to see 'first glance' reactions when the Proms season is announced. Noon, I think?

Let's see...
    Details are up already:

The world's greatest classical music festival - stunning performances and collaborations.

I've not gone through in detail yet, but there seems to be the usual mixture of exciting, good and bad (the bad being things I'm not interested in).

Mahler 9 with Norrington will undoubtedly cause much intemperate debate on both sides and Lang lang for the last night will probably also cause muc h frothing and gnashing of teeth.

I'm not sure what I think of the 'comedy prom' with the achingly trendy Tim Minchin.
    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Hmm, not the easiest website to look through. Click on composers and you only get their names and not the works, going to take forever to trawl through each individual concert to see what's on. The moan is because I'm in the middle of the Highlands and wanted to download the page for offline viewing, not much Internet in the mountains of Scotland

Will have to hope they update the iPhone app before I get out of reach of 3G or wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
        Mahler 9 with Norrington will undoubtedly cause much intemperate debate on both sides and Lang lang for the last night will probably also cause much frothing and gnashing of teeth.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm off to peruse...

EDIT: Bit underwhelmed on a first run-through
        The outing for Havergal Brian's "Gothic" will get certain folk itching with excitement...
        Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 14-04-11, 10:35. Reason: Just perused...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I agree it's not the easiest website to navigate. Probably to force us to buy the Proms Guide

Comment

The Norrington Mahler 9 will ruffle feathers, but is unmissable. The opening weekend, known for some time, is also a good'un - Guillaume Tell from Pappano and his Santa Cecilians + the Brian Gothic Symphony.. glad I'd booked that weekend off work! Visits from Pittsburgh and Philadelphia Orchestras most welcome and there's Gergiev and the Mariinsky playing Swan Lake. Ivan Fischer and the Budapest FO are back... Mahler 1 + Liszt.
            Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

At first glance, lots that I like.

At last: Ma Vlast!!!

William Tell, Missa Solemnis, Der Freishutz....yummy.

Interesting Janacek Mini-Fest.

Plenty of Bychkov...good.

Comment

Well, I know what I shall be doing on 10 Aug. A double bill with the Gliere Coloratura Concerto and Rach 2 (I'll ignore Liszt's Mazeppa) with the Bournemouth SO, followed by Steve Reich and Ensemble performing Music for 18 Musicians. Definitely a private loggia box job with a champagne lock-in

Comment

Very underwhelming season on its face . Too many crossover Proms and performers I like playing music I don't .

Comment

Must say I got quite excited when I saw the photo of Anja Harteros for Prom 27 and thought great, she's singing the Four Last Songs, only to see that the listed soprano is actuallly Hillevi Martinpelto.

I wonder if Harteros was originally slated to perform but pulled out and whoever designed the website forgot to update the picture as well as the text.
                    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                      At first glance, lots that I like.

At last: Ma Vkast!

Exactly what thought ;-)

Comment

Am I correct in thinking the website doesn't (yet) tell us which proms are televised?

I hope the Brian symphony is. Just downloaded the album from iTunes so I can have a listen whilst on holiday,

Comment

Originally posted by Thespian View Post
                          I agree it's not the easiest website to navigate. Probably to force us to buy the Proms Guide
                          If anyone can think of an easier approach, I'll investigate. It must be quite difficult to think up an all-encompassing view.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I would definitely go for the Simon Boliver, the Norrington and the Reich. Quite fancy the Larcher/Bruckner as well. Looked at the Comedy Prom, saw it featured Kit & The Widow and quickly looked away! Edit: I too was looking for which ones are to be televised, far too early I expect for schedules to be sorted.

Comment

I'd better get in quick before Euda does!

Roger
                              on the 2011 season.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X