Today's the day... What do we think of Proms season 2011?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive been wondering about this to. Would they be able to pull it off?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
      I can't make up my mind on this. I've heard Mahler 2 on quite a few occasions....all good...some extremely memorable. I associate - perhaps unfairly - the SBO with up-tempo music but maybe I am doing them a disservice and that their Mahler 2 could be exquisite. What do the rest of you think?
      Same here. It could be good, it could be unforgettable, it could equally be a disaster. One for the short list though.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

What has the BBC Proms website become?
        Unreadable , unusable and very unuser friendly, It was simple to use for years , week by week diary links , composer links and orchestra/artists links, If this is an attempt to promote sales of the overpriced Proms guide it ain't gonna succeed in my house.
        "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

Like this!

Taken from 2008.

I dread to think how much it cost to develop the new 'naff' website.

Comment

Yes, they've taken a leaf out of the Barbican book. Show the composer's name on the list but not the piece. I think it is because they want us to click through to see the details so they can count the hit rates on each prom maybe? But I can't see that it would be a true indicator of prom popularity.

Prices seem a good bit higher - or do I have a short memory?

Comment

I don't pay much attention to the prices for seats. Promming prices (day and season) are the same as last year.

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                I can't make up my mind on this. I've heard Mahler 2 on quite a few occasions....all good...some extremely memorable. I associate - perhaps unfairly - the SBO with up-tempo music but maybe I am doing them a disservice and that their Mahler 2 could be exquisite. What do the rest of you think?
                Rather than put on the obviously noisy bits of Mahler 3 here is a bit from the SBO which requires some subtlety and humour:

Symphony No. 3 in D minor Mov III "Comodo. Scherzando. Ohne Hast" (1/2)(2/2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzgfHqHgHOgSimón Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venez...

I think I shall give the Ressurection a fair hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                  Rather than put on the obviously noisy bits of Mahler 3 here is a bit from the SBO which requires some subtlety and humour:

Symphony No. 3 in D minor Mov III "Comodo. Scherzando. Ohne Hast" (1/2)(2/2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzgfHqHgHOgSimón Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venez...

I think I shall give the Ressurection a fair hearing.
                  I think I still have my doubts.
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Thanks for that link, Chris. Think I'll give them a miss....

Comment

I'm going to see The Monkees. Other than that, I might steer away from the Albert Hall this year. Except for the Brian symphony, perhaps. I'll have to see if anything gets me excited nearer the time, but I ain't too inspired at present. Got enough expenses, anyway. I just noticed that Lisa Batiashvili is playing this year. I had a ticket to see her playing Berg at last year's proms and I made sure to sit close 'cause she's kinda hot, but she fell ill and was replaced by a dude and I was sad. Dude was Gil Shaham though and he was great. Anyway, it's real decent of them to open ticket sales on a Saturday. That's kinda rare. Most of the time, you gotta make sure you get to work for the correct time and then not work but sit there pretending by the PC all anxious and hoping to get tickets. This makes it easier for us non-retirees. I thank them for that, but I agree that the new web design sucks.

Comment

Donnie Essen, not even Janacek's Sinfonietta?
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Everyone who's complaining about the price of the Proms Guide should be glad to hear you can get it on Amazon for 3.89, shipping included:

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            Donnie Essen, not even Janacek's Sinfonietta?
                            Never heard it. I got gaps in my knowledge. I do like his operas, though, and now that you've gotten me interested, I'll see about downloading a copy and will probably book a ticket.

Comment

Overall, regarding the 2011 season, I have more of a sense of buried treasure (e.g. the various Frank Bridge works; Birtwistle's new violin concerto), among the obvious and more familiar selections and the opening weekend blockbusters like William Tell and HB 1. So while overall, 2011 may not be a "knockout" season, I had the same feeling about 2010 too, but I crossed the pond anyway last year for the proceedings. Once the season gets rolling and people go to the concerts and report on them here and elsewhere, people may be surprised.

Comment

Working...
                              X