Today's the day... What do we think of Proms season 2011?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least there's no DOG ()

But who really needs
    Ma Vlast ? (always used to make me think of soft cheese !)
    and
    The Enigma Variations

?

Such rarely performed repertoire

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      At least there's no DOG ()

But who really needs
      Ma Vlast ? (always used to make me think of soft cheese !)
      and
      The Enigma Variations

?

Such rarely performed repertoire
      It really doesn't do do perform works that people might enjoy listening to.

Comment

Why don't you try actually listening to the performances, rather than taking his word for it that there is no vibrato? It's there, but not laid on ubiquitously, as it is by so many boringly 'conventional' orchestras these days. The 25th July Prom (to be televised on BBC4 a few days later, is one of the real highlights of this years programme. I will be making sure I caqn get to it.

Comment

Anyone catch the extraordinary interview between RW and Mark Lawson on Front Row just now?
          RW's totally unwarranted tetchy, aggressive/defensive attitude clearly took ML by surprise.

RW quarrelled with almost every question ML raised, its phrasing, its tone etc. And argued every sentence.
          Hope he and ML had a real set to after the programme, because RW deserved a kick where it hurts after that performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            It really doesn't do do perform works that people might enjoy listening to.
            I say, steady on old man.

As you are an esteemed host, I really do feel that you should set a better example than the gratuitous use of 'do do' in this post.

If ya don't like it, just say so

But 'do do'? - no no!!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              I say, steady on old man.

As you are an esteemed host, I really do feel that you should set a better example than the gratuitous use of 'do do' in this post.

If ya don't like it, just say so

But 'do do'? - no no!!

Welcome back, am51
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Terrible website - must agree with Between the Staves. First impression is one of being underwhelmed. I usually make it to a dozen or so but will be pushed to make that many this time. There's an awful lot that will be heard on R3 only and a fair few that I will ignore completely.

Sorry, not one to set the pulse racing.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Welcome back, am51
                  Cheers Cailban!

I like your new avatar but I'm afraid that my addled brain continues to recognise the late great Bill Fraser rather than the late great DS

Don't arxe me why, innit?!

Comment

the late great Bill Fraser

"...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Regarding the upset apparently caused by Mr Wright's Website ....

Has it occurred to you that Mr Wright is gently hinting that, while the info can be found at enormous labour to yourselves online, you might be better off shelling out the spondulicks on the brochure?

At £6.00 you know it makes sense

Comment

With the exception of the Brian Gothic and the August 16th prom with the Bax 2nd and the Bartok PC no 2, its even worse than last year. No Vaughan Williams! I'm sorry RW but that's a total disgrace. Virtually no American works or anything out of the ordinary. Apart from the Bax don't think I'll be tempted to attend. I'll just keep waiting for someone with real vision to take over. I might be waiting a long time.

Comment

Oh there will be the usual pull-out section in the Radio Times, a supplement in the BBC Music Magazine and the mini-guide to supplement the online maze. I don't think I will be forking out for the official £6.00 guide again this year. Mind you, I am not finding the online version that much of a problem to navigate.
                          Last edited by Bryn; 14-04-11, 22:00. Reason: Typos

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            Are you EVER happy about ANYTHING the BBC does ?

Yes..Mr GeeGee...clearly you read my posts with tunnel vision.

Comment

I shall certainly shell out £6.00 . Guess I'm a sucker , but ploughing through that abyssmally long-winded website is exhausting. No stars for efficiency.

Comment

Regarding the upset apparently caused by Mr Wright's Website ....

Has it occurred to you that Mr Wright is gently hinting that, while the info can be found at enormous labour to yourselves online, you might be better off shelling out the spondulicks on the brochure?

At £6.00 you know it makes sense
                                I must admit - I was thinking much the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X