Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dream Proms

Given that some around here find the offerings not to their liking, maybe we should plan out our own set of Dream Proms.

Sample

Elgar introduction and allegro
    Brahms violin concerto
    Glazunov symphony 4

Mutter violin
    Serebrier conductor
    LPO

Not sure which date for that one.

Quite a lot more to fill in, including the chamber and late night ones!

Anyone else want to have a go?

Surely "dream" Proms are just that - such as Barbirolli conducting the VPO in Elgar's 1st symphony.

Comment

Stravinsky: Firebird, Petrushka, The Rite of Spring
      Halle/Stravinsky

Can't complain though they are all in this season and the Rite is on tv too

Comment

Originally posted by Threni View Post
        Stravinsky: Firebird, Petrushka, The Rite of Spring
        Halle/Stravinsky

Can't complain though they are all in this season and the Rite is on tv too
        Threni and EA

These conjure up visions of Danse Macabre and Valse Triste. I was hoping we could stick to living performers, pro tem!

Comment

Fair enough:
          The Elgar Symphonies with the VPO & JEG, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Threni and EA

These conjure up visions of Danse Macabre and Valse Triste. I was hoping we could stick to living performers, pro tem!
            Dudamel conducting same programme then

Comment

What about

Parry / symphonic variations
              Ireland / piano concerto
              Vaughan Williams / 5th symphony

Hamelin / Berlin Philharmonic / Rattle

Comment

OK if we are really dreaming

Sibelius: Tapiola, Violin Concerto and Symphony No 7 - Ida Haendel/ Halle. Barbirolli

Comment

Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture
                  Prokofiev: Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October Revolution
                  Nielsen: Symphony No. 5

After all the bombast, cannons, machine guns, etc. of the first half, you come back after intermission and are duly put in your place by Nielsen. You feel shame for having loved the first half so much. You seek counseling soon after the concert.

Comment

It's like the concert I had last year with Gergiev!

Prokofiev: Cantata
                    Berlioz: Requiem

Comment

Threni, I was living in Los Angeles last year and I ALMOST flew halfway around the world just to see that one. Dream concert, indeed!

Comment

OK - dreaming again. Brahms violin concerto, Vienna Orchestra conducted by Brahms with Joachim! Might be a big disappointment, but could be fascinating. For the 2nd half Brahms performing one or other of his two piano concerti.

A repeat concert the day later could feature the 2nd and 3rd symphonies.

Comment

Mass in B minor - Thomanerchor & Gewandhaus Orchestra conducted by Joch. Seb. Bach... or would he sit at the Father Willis with his neck cricked back towards the choir as in those old prints?

Comment

Debussy's "La Mer", conducted by Mahler. He did actually conduct the work while in America I understand: I'd just be fascinated to find out how he, in so many ways Debussy's "equivalent" in terms of the respective musical revolutions taking place around them both, would have approached this gorgeous score.

S-A

Comment

That's intriguing, S-A. According to Knut Martner's incredibly interesting book "Mahler's Concerts" (listing every known concert Mahler ever conducted), he conducted the Prélude à l'après-midi (March 10 and 11, 1910), the Trois nocturnes (February 17 and 18, 1910), Ibéria (January 3, 6 and 8, 1911) and Rondes de Printemps (November 15 and 18, 1910) - but there are no performances of La Mer. Do you have the dates of his performances? It is delightful to speculate on what it might have been like - but I'm not sure he ever did the piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X