Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People's Proms?

When conductor Henry Wood founded the Proms in 1895, his aim was simple: to engage the masses in classical music.

Benjamin Grosvenor worth listening to and David Gardiner's letter worth reading methinks.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Yes David Gardiner's comments are interesting, can you imagine being a regular at Glastonbury of the V Festivals and suddenly finding that from now on a proportion of the Festival will now consist of classical concerts and an opera? The inverse-snobbery comment is very true why does the integrity of classical music now seem to be sacrificed in order to 'sweeten' it with cheap gimmicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
      why does the integrity of classical music now seem to be sacrificed in order to 'sweeten' it with cheap gimmicks.
      Any such attempts generally lead to utter failure, as does pandering to the perceived tastes of children in musical education.

Comment

The Telegraph comments divide down the usual lines. I did like this one, though:

"their stated aim was "to run nightly concerts to train the public" "

When I was growing up, the great Manchester Corporation trained the city's youngsters by sending them to the Free Trade Hall to hear the Halle Orchestra under John Barbirolli.
        How lucky we were.
        I think there are some similar schemes running now, plus the excellent Cavatina Trust. But what I don't think either the 'traditional' or the wacky schemes really creates is that nonchalant acceptance of the going to concerts and recitals as part of 'what people do'.

The 'Request Prom' is a late night hour-long concert. Bit like Breakfast, since they'll all be shorter works, apparently.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I'm not sure I'd want to be "trained" to appreciate music - rather an odd word

would it involve one of those long circus whips?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            I'm not sure I'd want to be "trained" to appreciate music - rather an odd word

would it involve one of those long circus whips?
            The full quote is in:

Newman arranged to meet Wood at Queen's Hall one spring morning in 1894 to talk about the project. 'I am going to run nightly concerts to train the public in easy stages,' he explained. 'Popular at first, gradually raising the standard until I have created a public for classical and modern music.'

I think people would be more likely to resent this approach now than they were 100 years ago. 'They' [generalisation] still had the self-improvement ethic at that time.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
            X