Prom 4: Sunday 17th July 2011 at 7.00 p.m. (Brian 'The Gothic')

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 4: Sunday 17th July 2011 at 7.00 p.m. (Brian 'The Gothic')

I have to say I don't this at all, I bought the Naxos recording yesterday and sounded quite impressive, need another listen of course.

I now read about how it's a massive work and is very rare etc etc. So again, why is this not being shown on tv? Surely if it's in the guiness book of records it would arouse public interest? Another annoyance is that the Simon Bolviar is a relayed broadcast! Why?

After radio 3 announces more live broadcasts than ever before the tv equivalent has gone backwards

Live from the Royal Albert Hall, London

Presented by Tom Service

The first Choral Sunday of the season boasts the grandest statement of British choral music, Havergal Brian's Gothic Symphony. Two BBC orchestras, four brass bands, six choruses, four youth choruses and four star soloists join together for the Proms debut of this epic English "Symphony of a Thousand".

According to conductor Martyn Brabbins it will be one of the biggest classical undertakings ever mounted - "It's going to be a fantastic sonic spectacle, Gothic in the sense of architecture, detail, grandeur and mystery". Written in 1920, it's only been performed in concert five times since. The Gothic Symphony won a place in the Guinness Book of Records for being the longest symphony, requiring the largest forces. This is a rare chance to hear a unique and massive work, and not to be missed.

Brian: Symphony No. 1 in D minor, 'The Gothic'

Susan Gritton (soprano)
    Christine Rice (mezzo-soprano)
    Peter Auty (tenor)
    Alastair Miles (bass)

CBSO Youth Chorus
    Eltham College Boys' Choir
    Southend Boys' and Girls' Choirs
    Bach Choir
    BBC National Chorus of Wales
    Brighton Festival Chorus
    Côr Caerdydd
    Huddersfield Choral Society
    London Symphony Chorus

BBC Concert Orchestra
    BBC National Orchestra of Wales
    Martyn Brabbins (conductor)
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 10-07-11, 22:22. Reason: Heading amended and programme details added for uniformity.

Sorry to hear that you 'don't this at all'. Are we allowed to guess at the missing verb, and is there a prize for the first person to come up with the correct answer?

Comment

get|understand

Comment

know

Comment

mind
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Any word yet on whether the four extra bands will be 'spaced out' or grouped into two, as in the previous RAH performances?

Comment

remember
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

approve of
                twig
                dig

Comment

"give a monkey's fart for"

Comment

"... imagine for one second anyone here will be interested in trying to guess what I think about..."

Comment

getting back to the original subject

Ahem, children, getting back to the thread topic: here's some light reading via JSTOR about HB 1 for those so inclined.

Bonus for the attentive, from Deryck Cooke back in 1966: http://www.jstor.org/pss/953316

Comment

Indeed! No wonder some promenaders talk about the proms dumbing down... Doesn't help if people can't even talk sensibly about a particular post.

Comment

Originally posted by Threni View Post
                          ... Surely if it's in the Guinness Book of Records it would arouse public interest?
                          I have to say I agree with this. The first time I'd even heard of The Gothic was in my copy of the 1968 GBoR and I longed to hear this monster (I managed it 10 years later). It's the sort of story that would make a splash on the news and make the general public more aware that the Proms is more than Rule Britannia and silly flag waving. My curiosity was whetted 43 years ago and others might be interested enough to investigate now. A missed opportunity.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I'm another who's never knowingly heard this work, or indeed anything else by the composer. Something a bit different, and sounds tailor-made for the Albert Hall. I also enjoyed this conductor's Prom last year, so shall try to listen in.

Comment

If they do manage to perform it with the four addtional bands called for, ranged around the hall, the Arena will be the place to be. It's certainly where I plan to make my stand.

Comment

Working...
                              X