Prom 4: Sunday 17th July 2011 at 7.00 p.m. (Brian 'The Gothic')

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, link didn't work. Try this one

Comment

Last try...........

former Guns n' roses member buckethead doing a weird techno dance with nunchuks and then performing a kickass soloNOTE:Buckethead is an amazing guitarist. He...

Comment

Third time lucky!

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
          I'm wondering how early it will be advisable to start queueing for this one?

We're not talking a 'name' orchestra/conductor/soloists, so I'm wondering how popular this one will be? It's the talk of regular Prommers, who'll probably be out in force, but I wonder if it'll be anything like a VPO/Rattle demand?
          Well, I'd very much like to be there, but I can't pretend that distance is no object.

Comment

This will be my third live Gothic and I can't wait!
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

According to the RAH website: "Due to the staging and production requirements for 'The Gothic' on Sunday, Prom 4 will have limited Promming capacity. For this Prom we will not sell to the Arena or Gallery day queues until 20 minutes before the concert, subject to availability."

Shocking!

Comment

Originally posted by Lee McLernon View Post
                Shocking!
                Given the complexity of staging the Gothic I'm surprised there is another Prom at all that day.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I'll be in London (the City) for a Spanish Civil War commemoration concert the previous evening, but I just can't see myself sleeping out on the RAH steps any more - not even for The Gothic. I'll take my chances with queueing from around 8.15 a.m. Wind and rain is forecast for Sunday anyway.

Comment

On the previous two occasions that The Gothic has been presented at the RAH, the only reduction in 'staging' applied was the grouping of the 4 off-stage bands into 2. The seating in the Arena was not noticeably reduced and there was plenty of room up in the Gallery (where I was for both performances). What on Earth is restricting the Promming capacity this time. This is, after all, The Proms, not some sit-down protest.

Comment

people were griping that so far there is no sign that it will be televised.
                      It does seem the BBC have missed a trick in not televising this. It is widely trailed by them for the sheer massiveness of its forces, and surely the visual impact (more than the aural?) would be a big draw. Is it being recorded for a future TV showing?

Comment

I really can't believe that they won't record it. All those performers brought together for a (possibly) once in a generation performance ... Anyone at the RAH tonight please report back if there are any signs of cameras.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

To save my wading through lots of books does anyone know if Beecham showed any interest in HB?

Surely it sounds his sort of thing if he thought it any good. He bothered to promote Bantock, Josef Holbrooke and several other fairly lost causes.
                          Last edited by salymap; 17-07-11, 16:35. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                            To save my wading through lots of books does anyone know if Beecham showed any interest in HB?
                            Googling the two names:

"In the Sentinel's review, 4 December 1908: Beecham »ought to have had more time to prepare the work... "Hero and Leander", or "Death of Hero", is a study in emotion; and will not be properly played until the band which instruments it publicly has had at least four rehearsals. As it is understood that Mr Beecham had not had time to devote more than a few minutes' rehearsal to the work, it needs only be said that the tone-poem still awaits fitting baptism. It was, however, clear that Mr Brian has composed a remarkable work, in all likelihood the finest any Staffordshire man has probably created.«

In fact, the performance with deficient orchestral parts and conducted from memory by Beecham, who had just lost the score, was a debacle ..."
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Oh dear, what a shambles. Thanks ff.

It doesn't sound as though Tommy took the music very seriously and did much more for HB then.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                "It was, however, clear that Mr Brian has composed a remarkable work, in all likelihood the finest any Staffordshire man has probably created."
                                (My emphasisis.)

What a curious statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X