Alphabetical list of Composers

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
    This year no Hovhaness, one of his works would be ideal Proms material one would have thought.
    I had forgotten this was his anniversary year. He really should have been repesented.

Comment

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
      This year no Hovhaness, one of his works would be ideal Proms material one would have thought.
      You're right Suffolkcoastal... I'd forgotten about the Hovhaness centenary. There is much top drawer Hovhaness from the 1950s and 60s (concerto for orchestra no.7, symphonies 2, 6, 11, etc). If I recall correctly, when he was Composer of the Week it wasn't the expected CDs, but BBC orchestras no less! He can be ideal Prommers material - unknown, accessible and stylistically a breath of fresh air.

But then if William Schuman was ignored last year, what hope for Hovhaness?

Comment

Not one Shostakovich symphony and of course the representation of great British Composers is lamentable, Think about it , the So called "greatest Music Festival in the world" what garbage
        "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

Is Elliot Carters flute concerto really 13 minutes long ?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            Is Elliot Carters flute concerto really 13 minutes long ?
            As it dates from 2008 I do think this might be the approximate length of the piece, given Carter's tendency from the last couple of years to create shorter pieces (and who can blame him for that, being 100 and then still composing)

Comment

I think it time to withdraw from The Proms!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

No Mahler 10? I thought they were playing the positive symphonies last year and the negative symphonys this year? ( 1860 and 1911)

3VS

Comment

Just seen from the list that Prokofiev Symphony no.4 is being played! Never known this to be on the Proms before! It's not my prefered original version, but the revised. Still rare though.

Not a lot of Shoshtakovich this year.

Any new symphonies? Proms used to be good for that.

3VS

Comment

Not a note of Vaughan Williams in the season and like many others, I initially thought there had been a typing mistake but it's true to form.

"The Greatest Music (=Mahler) Festival in the World" has always been antipathetic to RVW, the 2008 anniversary should have had all 9 symphonies with one or two from visting international orchestras.

It would have been great this year if they could have marked the fact that the Sea Symphony is now in it's 100th year.

Monty raises the possibility of a conspiracy theory against RVW's music at the BBC. The composer, later in life did once refer to the management of the BBC as a "load of Pimps" so perhaps
                    memories go back a long way at the BBC?

Regards all

FTC

Comment

Originally posted by 3rd Viennese School View Post
                      Any new symphonies? Proms used to be good for that.
                      do composers write symphonies anymore? rather "old hat" as a form isn't it?
                      Last edited by mercia; 07-06-11, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyTheCat View Post
                        Not a note of Vaughan Williams in the season
                        Not a note of MT which pains me even more.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          do composers write symphonies anymore? rather "old hat" as a form isn't it?
                          I think that this remark ought to oblige you to buy, at the very least, a hat each for David Matthews, John McCabe and Sir Peter Maxwell Davies; you could even have a swan feather sewn into the last of these...

Comment

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                            Not a note of MT which pains me even more.
                            Somehow I imagine that you do not mean Mark-Anthony Turnage here...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              Somehow I imagine that you do not mean Mark-Anthony Turnage here...
                              Give you a clue: Sir MT.

Comment

Tippett was a great composer and his neglect at the Proms is like RVW, a mystery to me.

His book, An autobiography Those Twentieth Century Blues is a fascinating read and he had the humility to state later in life that RVW was a great influence on him.

Recently listened to his 2nd symphony and really enjoyed it.

This begs a question.?

The BBC Proms is funded entirely by the British Tax and Licence fee payer. I include myself in both categories.

That said, like any other nation surely such a publically funded event should be obliged to perform a decent amount of British music.

I would venture to suggest that all future PROMs should have a minimum of 50% British music, can you imagine a Finnish classical music festival without Sibelius, A Danish without Nielsen? I could go on.

The 2011 Proms with no RVW or MT is a disgrace and I for one will not attend any of the programmes for that reason alone.

How can we protest to the BBC ?

Regards all

FTC

Comment

Working...
                                X