Could the Philadelphians be the Prom's first recession victims?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could the Philadelphians be the Prom's first recession victims?

In today's Guardian Charlotte Higgins reports that the board of the Philadelphia Orchestra have filed for bankrupcy.

Charlotte Higgins: The Philadelphia Orchestra files for bankruptcy, plus the Frick's search for a new leader, and the great national-anthem endurance test

Their European tour is in financial jeopardy and the Prom with Charles Dutoit might be off. That such an old and venerable institution can be in such dire straits is dreadful.

The important point she makes is that this puts Arts Minister Hunt's belief in patronage in serious question.

On a happier note: the Detroit SO are working again.

It was my mother's favourite orchestra. She'd take every opportunity to hear them whenever they were on a European tour.

Comment

I spoke to one of the players when the Philadelphians last appeared at the Proms. He said that they can still produce the famous sound that Stokowski and Ormandy bequeathed to them, although he did say that Ormandy expected the same richness in Mozart, where it wasn't always appropriate ! It will be a tragedy if they go under, but I understand that their's is technically a form of bankruptcy that will allow them to go on performing -I certainly hope so.

Comment

This is ... I dont know, probably shocking, certainly disconcerting. The Philadelphia under Ormandy were one of the discoveries of my youth. Turn them off, you cant be serious? This is America, the land of the free, there must be SOMEONE out there with a few bucks? I have dug out of my collection the very record, CBS 72782, Elgar, Enigma Vars., and V. Williams, Tallis Fantasia. Glorious cover of a green meadow, somewhere. Dollar people, you need to do something NOW.

Comment

What they have filed for is Chapter 11. This gives them time, and protection from creditors, in which to put together a viable business plan. Let's hope they succeed. The alternative is unthinkable and would trigger the collapse of a house of cards.

Comment

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
            TThe Philadelphia under Ormandy were one of the discoveries of my youth.
            You and me both, umslopogaas! (As I've often mentioned here, the Ormandy/Philadelphia Shostakovich 15 turned the key in the lock of classical music for me)
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I understood that one of the problems facing US orchestras was the high salaries paid (at least in comparison to those elsewhere). The Musicians Union in the states has also, over successive generations, ensured that working hours are reduced and any extras are handsomely remunerated; one of the reasons why for many years so few recordings were made with american orchestras. Reductions in patronage mean that these generous conditions are no longer tenable.

For example, the Detroit Symphony Orchestra has recently ended a 6 month strike. Under this deal, orchestral salaries will be reduced from the current minimum of $104,650 (about £64K) to $79,000 (£48K). The pre-deal figures are not out of line with salaries paid to other US orchestras.

Even the reduced salary is still substantially more than the starting salary for an orchestral player in the UK, even with our subsidies.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Post 6

Caliban, thanks for jogging my memory. I dont know the Philadelphia/Ormandy recording of Shostakovich's 15th symphony, but you've reminded me of another highlight, their LP of the tenth: CBS S 72886. Not dated, but must be from somewhen in the late sixties or the seventies. Wonderful stuff, extraordinarily vivid, and, if like me you are coming to the work for the first time, a whole new world.

Comment

Post 6

Caliban, thanks for jogging my memory. I dont know the Philadelphia/Ormandy recording of Shostakovich's 15th symphony, but you've reminded me of another highlight, their LP of the tenth: CBS S 72886. Not dated, but must be from somewhen in the late sixties or the seventies. Wonderful stuff, extraordinarily vivid, and, if like me you are coming to the work for the first time, a whole new world.
                  Ums I would definitely go for one of the marketplace new copies at under 4 quid: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...CFX7F14TH761KN

You get Emil Gilels playing the 2nd Piano Sonata chucked in free!

Comment

Thanks Caliban, given how good the Philadelphia performances can be, its tempting. I've already got the fifteenth in versions conducted by Maxim Shostakovich (russian Melodiya and also english HMV ASD) and by Haitink (Decca), all on LP. I've also got an LP of Gilels playing the second sonata, it was issued by RCA in 1966, with the Liszt B minor sonata on the other side. Wonderful stuff. Not sure what he was doing making records for RCA, I thought that when the russians finally let him out, he was snapped up by DG.

Comment

I've also got an LP of Gilels playing the second sonata, it was issued by RCA in 1966,
                      Yup - that's the one on the CD!

You really should get it. I did a mini-Building a Library with a friend, pooling all our versions and having an evening of comparative listening: Ormandy trounces everyone in that magical coda to the last movement

Comment

Thanks Caliban, duly ordered.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

People following the slow-motion disaster in Philadelphia, in the wake of the orchestra's management declaring bankruptcy, may want to read this commentary from one of the Philadelphia Inquirer's critics on the situation to date:

I should note that Dobrin is "part of the problem" in one sense, because of his relentless one-man campaign against Christoph Eschenbach during CE's music directorship there, with continually negative reviews, which one can infer created some ill will towards going to concerts. However, in this article, keeping that fact in mind, I actually tend to agree with Dobrin's assessment that this bankruptcy action is, instinctively, a union-busting measure in disguise. The fund-raisers could actually get the money they needed if they tried harder and smarter, even in this climate (and yes, with some financial give-back from the musicians too).

Here's an older NYT article on the bankruptcy plan, for those interested:

The Philadelphia Orchestra just played Carnegie Hall, and the reviews noted that while the hall wasn't sold out, the New York audience did give the musicians a rousing welcome, as noted in the reviews:

I would only request, if only speaking as an American, that if the Philadelphia Orchestra does get to The Proms this summer for Prom 72, no matter how boring the program looks to you or whatever your opinion of Charles Dutoit, please pack the RAH out and show your wholehearted support for the musicians.

Comment

Bluestate, people must be listening to you because the Philadelphia prom has joined the short list of sold-out proms.

Is it because the Philly has a surprisingly huge following, or is it a case of "last chance to see"? :-(

Comment

Originally posted by prokkyshosty View Post
                              the Philadelphia prom has joined the short list of sold-out proms
                              I for one am really looking foward to seeing and hearing them in the RAH!

Comment

Working...
                              X