Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye iPlayer ?

In June this year, the BBC released to the press information about the new BBC Sounds app.
    You can Google as well as I can, and find your preferred interpretation of said press release. I can't find the actual press release, neither could I find any mention of the Sounds App on the media pages.
    It can be downloaded though, there is an opportunity to provide feedback. I've used it for a while - does certain tasks better than iPlayer (e.g. loading is faster, and so far the odd bug where sound is lost has not happened, but there is still functionality missing (e.g. schedules anyone?)).

I'd like someone smarter than me, with a better ear to comment on the sound quality - to me, it sounds as if it may actually broadcast the sound levels across stations, so r3 broadcasts at the same volume as r4.

A general interpretation of the press release is that the BBC intend to eventually phase out iPlayer to replace it with this app.

The app has been soft-launched without much publicity and, after recent functionality enhancements - in particular the ability to download - is now worth a closer look.

One interpretation is that the app is aimed at the podcast generation. hmm. Wonder who they are?

Anyway, here's a link that may be useful when you have downloaded it...

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/radio/sounds-help

Apologies if this is a duplicate thread - couldn't see one.

...and yet a recent announcement about the release of the BBC's classical archive specifically mentioned iPlayer.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      ...and yet a recent announcement about the release of the BBC's classical archive specifically mentioned iPlayer.
      I saw that too. However that doesn't guarantee anything - no reason why that same archive couldn't be put on BBC Sounds too. Makes sense if this is all done slowly, to get to the point where iPlayer is a legacy non-maintained app.

Here's a BBC blog from that June release
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/abouttheb...2-6ddcfae9dee1

'Welcoming BBC Sounds to the family'

hmm...

Comment

Reference to iPlayer app seems to me to be part of almost every trail R3 does, so...........?? What exactly is this change?
        I shrug.

Comment

BBC Sounds is a completely separate app (modern word for a computer program, the word short form of ‘application’) and does exactly the same as BBC iPlayer Radio. There is another separate app for the Tv, also called BBC iPlayer.

I’ve done some more digging, and here’s a direct quote from the blog of Dan Taylor-Watt, BBC Head of iPlayer and BBC Sounds.

BBC Sounds will eventually replace BBC iPlayer Radio
          Here’s the link
          Dan Taylor-Watt introduces the BBC's new audio app - BBC Sounds, available to download today.

So it IS goodbye BBC iPlayer Radio; but not immediately.

Comment

Currently this is as user friendly as an alligator. I can't access I-Player on Google or Bing and I haven't heard any information about the Sounds App. You go to the Sounds page. It tells you to register so you register. Then it says you have already registered but have you forgotten your password? Then you say yes and get an e-mail to say change your password so you change it and then try to log in. Then it brings you into a load of triviality - news, sport etc - under the banner of Sounds and there is still no more access to programmes. Atrocious.

What exactly is going on please?

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
              Currently this is as user friendly as an alligator. I can't access I-Player on Google or Bing and I haven't heard any information about the Sounds App. You go to the Sounds page. It tells you to register so you register. Then it says you have already registered but have you forgotten your password? Then you say yes and get an e-mail to say change your password so you change it and then try to log in. Then it brings you into a load of triviality - news, sport etc - under the banner of Sounds and there is still no more access to programmes. Atrocious.

What exactly is going on please?
              Sorry if this irks but I am finding no real problems with the iPlayer. If you go to the 'Sounds' schedule page, there should be a button towards the top right of the screen offering "More". It gives access to such firther buttons as "Radio". A bit convoluted, but . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Sorry if this irks but I am finding no real problems with the iPlayer. If you go to the 'Sounds' schedule page, there should be a button towards the top right of the screen offering "More". It gives access to such firther buttons as "Radio". A bit convoluted, but . . .
                It irks but it's not your fault, Bryn; you are only conveying what they are up to.

One, I don't actually like "Radio" being hidden away under "More" as some sort of third rate citizen.

That is probably an I-Player thing too and it is absolutely ridiculous.

Two, I just haven't access to I-Player or Sounds programmes at the moment.

As a matter of interest, if you go to the General Arts board and the Speech Radio thread......if you then look at my post on the puzzle programme, can you access that programme?

Because I can't!

Comment

I've just clicked on the link and up it popped!

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    I've just clicked on the link and up it popped!
                    Thank you.

Clicking on the link does take you to the correct programme page with "Listen Again" and a start arrow.

But did you click on that and then the programme started or did that click take you only to a general page headed "Sounds" which is not of any use ?

It is the second in my case.

Comment

The new "system" isn't as convenient as the old (possibly because I'm not used to it), but if I click on the "Sounds" option on the i-Player home page, I get a "Listen Live" page, at the top left of which are links to "Stations" and to "Schedules", which work in the same way as the old version (the "Schedules" page even has the same appearance as the old one).
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

What I've found is that if you use the link on the forum homepage (Useful links) for:

Listen Live, you get the option to listen to the current programme from the beginning, which I don't recollect you could do before

Schedule, you still get, as before, the list of the current day's programmes (from where you can go to This Week and Calendar)
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          What I've found is that if you use the link on the forum homepage (Useful links) for:

Listen Live, you get the option to listen to the current programme from the beginning, which I don't recollect you could do before

Schedule, you still get, as before, the list of the current day's programmes (from where you can go to This Week and Calendar)
                          The listen from the start option is not that new. Perhaps the recent annoying changes have simply provided the opportunity for you to discover it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            The listen from the start option is not that new. Perhaps the recent annoying changes have simply provided the opportunity for you to discover it.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I discovered earlier on today that I could access BBC TV programmes on the I-Player so the problems I have appear to be with radio.

Comment

Working...
                              X