Previously unreleased Ida Haendel

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Previously unreleased Ida Haendel

This 1960's stereo recording from Stuttgart Radio looks rather tempting.

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    This 1960's stereo recording from Stuttgart Radio looks rather tempting.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/H...sler/HAEN94207
    Ber-limey I should say so, gernemanz.

I don't know the Khatchaturian but the Bartok should be right up Ms Haendel's street - has anyone heard this performance/CD?

Comment

The recent Tchaikovsky and Dvorak concerto coupling from this source is a cracking record .

Comment

Many thanks for that. That's going on my wish list!

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          The recent Tchaikovsky and Dvorak concerto coupling from this source is a cracking record .
          I must get this! Can anyone tell me which label?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Katin View Post
            I assume this one, PK.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Katin View Post
              Here it is, Peter

ooops dupe with ff, sorry

Fascinating film on youtube

PART 1 of I AM THE VIOLIN , a 2004 documentary about the great violinist IDA HAENDEL written and directed by Paul Cohen and produced by IDTV in Amsterdam, t...
              Last edited by Guest; 16-05-11, 09:46. Reason: Dupe & film

Comment

Just given the Ida - Bartok/Khachaturian CD a whirl .

The Khachaturian is stupendous . Much the best performance of it I have ever heard . The music is given real emotional content - only Oistrakh comes close ( sorry Perlman and Fischer )

The Bartok is slow but quite marvellously played . Have to get used to the first movement tempo perhaps but still thrilling .

Very strongly recommended .

Comment

Thanks - I've found it and of course ordered it.

Comment

Just given the Ida - Bartok/Khachaturian CD a whirl .

The Khachaturian is stupendous . Much the best performance of it I have ever heard . The music is given real emotional content - only Oistrakh comes close ( sorry Perlman and Fischer )

The Bartok is slow but quite marvellously played . Have to get used to the first movement tempo perhaps but still thrilling .

Very strongly recommended .
                    Many thanks for this, barbirollians - I dithered for a while but now you've convinced me, dammit.

I'll have to wait for Mr Dunkin' Smiff's next pay-day, mind

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Many thanks for this, barbirollians - I dithered for a while but now you've convinced me, dammit.

I'll have to wait for Mr Dunkin' Smiff's next pay-day, mind
                      Just given this another whirl . Extraordinary performances .More and more I regard her neglect by major record companies as a scandal .One has to hope ICA Classics perhaps now that BBC Legends has gone - will dig out some of her great Proms recordings .

Comment

Just given this another whirl . Extraordinary performances .More and more I regard her neglect by major record companies as a scandal .One has to hope ICA Classics perhaps now that BBC Legends has gone - will dig out some of her great Proms recordings .
                        Seconded!

My heroine worship of Ida Haendel, both as a performer and as a lovely person, is well documented on these boards.

HS

Comment

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                          Seconded!

My heroine worship of Ida Haendel, both as a performer and as a lovely person, is well documented on these boards.

HS
                          Thirded!! (If there is such a thing!)

I have all these cds and these are wonderful recordings. Of course, it raises the question that there must be piles of unheard Ida Haendel performances in radio archives over the world. I really hope that, one day, there will be a resurgence of interest in this vastly under-rated musician.

I met her recently (and she signed my copy of her autibiography!) and I can honestly say it was a wonderful moment for me. What amazed me was that she had tiny hands. How she played all those great stretches is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

Thirded!! (If there is such a thing!)

I have all these cds and these are wonderful recordings. Of course, it raises the question that there must be piles of unheard Ida Haendel performances in radio archives over the world. I really hope that, one day, there will be a resurgence of interest in this vastly under-rated musician.

I met her recently (and she signed my copy of her autibiography!) and I can honestly say it was a wonderful moment for me. What amazed me was that she had tiny hands. How she played all those great stretches is amazing.

Is her autobiography interesting, pastoral?

Comment

pG was that at her interview with Isserlis ? Was it illuminating if so ?

Comment

Working...
                              X