Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With four hungry children and a crop in the field

I need to know more about country music. I want to separate out the wheat from the sheep and the chaff from the goats.

Some time ago, we attempted a list of the best ever world music albums. A brave idea which led to some informative discussion.

So what do you think? I thought perhaps we could do "50 great country music tracks across all of the decades". I've already got a few dubious selections at the ready.

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    "50 great country music tracks...".
    Sounds like a contradiction in terms, but good luck. Having said that, I've always quite liked Billie Gentry's 'Ode to Billy Joe', Marty Robbins's 'El Paso' and Glen Campbell's 'Wichita Lineman'. I must admit I prefer artists who incorporate(d) elements of C&W into songs other formats - such as The Eagles and The Everly Brothers. Do you not find a lot of C&W songs unbearably mawkish ('Big John', 'Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town' and of course D.I.V.O.R.C.E)?

Comment

I would go for
      Mustt Mustt by Nusrat Fatah Ali Khan

unless its Country and Western you are after ?
      rather than Country and Eastern

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
        Sounds like a contradiction in terms, but good luck. Having said that, I've always quite liked Billie Gentry's 'Ode to Billy Joe', Marty Robbins's 'El Paso' and Glen Campbell's 'Wichita Lineman'. I must admit I prefer artists who incorporate(d) elements of C&W into songs other formats - such as The Eagles and The Everly Brothers. Do you not find a lot of C&W songs unbearably mawkish ('Big John', 'Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town' and of course D.I.V.O.R.C.E)?
        I love 'Big John '
        Yours sincerely
        Wee John

P.S. Wait till PS gets a sniff of this - doubt he'll stick at 50.
        Last edited by johncorrigan; 25-04-11, 14:00. Reason: A little bitty tear let me down!

Comment

>>>>50 great country music tracks...".
          Sounds like a contradiction in terms, but good luck<<<

Ofca, I think people may just be simply scared of country music's approach to home truths

And along with Dr Jonathan Miller, I reckon Tammy Wynette's separation song is an all-time great piece !

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
            I always felt there was at least a PhD for the grabbing in deconstructing Bobbie Gentry's Ode to Billie Joe

I wonder, was Ofca thinking perhaps of Billy Dainty?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Jolene (not in the shower with Sid/Kenton)
              has to be on your list methinks !

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Jolene (not in the shower with Sid/Kenton)
                has to be on your list methinks !

Comment

Anyone seeking an entree into country should probably start with Hank Williams: he was a seriously great songwriter. It takes a huge talent to write songs as simple but heartfelt as his.

You might then like to proceed to Johnny/June Carter Cash, George Jones and/or Tammy Wynette. All made very credible albums in the sixties.

Kris Kristofferson was Cash's chief disciple; he couldn't sing, but he had some serious writing chops.

But perhaps a more suitable next stop would be the 'new country' of Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris, which was very much frowned on by the Opry Establishment in the 70s, as these 'hippies' were supposed to lack the salt of the earth mentality. They almost certainly did, but that was probably a good thing, imo. Check out Gram Parsons' Grievous Angel album (on which E.H. prominently guests) and if you like the opening track, you'll probably like new country.

Comment

Looking forward to this Lt. I'm a bit out of date though. I always liked the directness of C&W, the yarns, the heartbreak, the anger and the love, not to mention the skill of the writing and the playing. One man's wheat is another man's goat, as seen already!, but I'll go along with Paul and John, and I'll throw my hat in the ring with one of my own - The City of New Orleans - I'm partial to Judy Collins' version.
                    ~ CITY OF NEW ORLEANS ~ (Steve Goodman) sung by Judy Collins.I am dedicating this song to my cousin who is fighting in harms way in Afghanistan.

Comment

The Rubber Room - Porter Wagoner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbaCokEdNz0

Comment

I know this has appeared in another thread
                        and its not the great Cash
                        but no Country collection is complete without

Comment

Rumbaba,

There's only one Porter Wagoner ...
                          And when this work turns up at random from the several thousand items on the ipod
                          it will always be accompanied a small, discreet cheer !

Three versions of ' The Cold Hard Facts Of Life '
                          The first off record with lyrics followed by two live performances.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                            Anyone seeking an entree into country should probably start with Hank Williams: he was a seriously great songwriter. It takes a huge talent to write songs as simple but heartfelt as his.
                            I'm with you there M - the first song I ever heard that I loved that I thought 'that's country' was Hank's 'Honky Tonk Blues'
                            Hank Williams (born Sept. 17, 1923, Georgiana, Ala., U.S.—died Jan. 1, 1953, Oak Hill, W.Va.) American singer and guitarist, one of the leading figures in co...

- it was on a juke box in a pub I frequented frequently and I must have driven everyone daft as I played it endlessly with this other rather crackin' country beaut by Hank Thompson. A celebration and a cautionary tale, all in one go, about the inevitability of the 'one for the road' - ain't that just country?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              I would go for
                              Mustt Mustt by Nusrat Fatah Ali Khan

unless its Country and Western you are after ?
                              rather than Country and Eastern
                              Or you could plump for C&N (Northern), MrGG like these fine fellows.
                              Scottish duo, the Alexander Brother`s, Tom & Jack. with one of their favourites, Nobody`s Child.This track is one of 15 on their available CD/DVD, "Song of t...

Where's the high tide when you need it?

Comment

Working...
                              X