Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obituary : Max Mathews - music pioneer

Not many people will have heard of him, and perhaps not everyone will agree that he should even be mentioned as a musician, however the effects of his pioneering work on synthesising music on computers are far-reaching, ubiquitous and iconoclastic.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...pioneer-r-i-p/

Thank you Global.
    I'm glad to know of him.

Comment

I thought it was just me in here !
      a sad day indeed

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        I thought it was just me in here !
        a sad day indeed

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...9310#post49310
        Double posting showed the boundaries he crossed..where do we start the thread about Lev Termen aka Leon Theremin I wonder?

Comment

We start it at the point where some idiot says that its a Theremin on "Good Vibrations"

Comment

Not the tannerin, although I think it is the real thing on [shudder] Midsomer Murders....not that I've watched beyond the opening credits, he said hurriedly.

such a great pic I couldn't resist posting it. Max wouldn't mind...

Last edited by Globaltruth; 27-04-11, 10:18.

Comment

Lev Termen, where is he now ?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                Not the tannerin, although I think it is the real thing on [shudder] Midsomer Murders....not that I've watched beyond the opening credits, he said hurriedly.

such a great pic I couldn't resist posting it. Max wouldn't mind...

It is John Orford of the London Sinfonietta on Bassoon though ............

Comment

Mr GG, other experts,

Is THIS the astonishing film which the one-time tv station, Channel 4, broadcast ?
                  Trailer del documental sobre el Theremin (Lev Sergeyevich Termen, Clara Rockmore...)1994

Comment

yes I think so
                    this is really worth a read

you really couldn't make it up ! a truly extraordinary life

Comment

I am trying to remember the name of the guy here who was a technological wizard. He was about 70 when new bands started to turn up at his suburban semi and were given cups of tea by his wife while he got on with transforming basic recordings. Initially, I thought it was early 80s electronica but now I think it might have been two tone. (Sorry - I've been on the rhododendron walk and feel hazily Wordsworthian.)
                      Last edited by Guest; 27-04-11, 21:46.

Comment

....Actually, I've just started watching the 30 minute clip and it is very interesting. I will stick with it.

While I was between the orange and the yellow ones, I had a Eureka moment. This is absolutely genuine. I suddenly thought of an absolutely brilliant, unique, idea for computers that could transform them worldwide, be of immense benefit to everyone with a home pc, and certainly make me and anyone else involved into multi-millionaires. It is just that I haven't got the slightest clue how feasible it would be to do technically.

Any suggestions?
                        Last edited by Guest; 28-04-11, 09:28.

Comment

Write a business plan, ensure you have the words 'copyright' at the bottom of every page then get some funding.

Set up your business to develop the idea, get rich and, Lo another capitalist entrepreneur is born.

Comment

You make it sound easy. I'm not sure that I want to be a capitalist entrepreneur even if I could be.

I watched the clips last night, though very tired. Mr Mathews was an extraordinary guy, wasn't he?

Comment

It is, he was.

I have no connection with these people currently, but they are an example of the kind of organisation who will provide funding and advice.
                              http://www.nesta.org.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X