New Release Special - Mahler 10 Remade Again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

New Release Special - Mahler 10 Remade Again....

MAHLER SYMPHONY NO.1O. LAPLAND CO/STORGARDS…BIS 24/96… (arr. for Chamber Orchestra by Michelle Castelletti)
    (Qobuz Studio/Download/SACD etc)

The opening adagio is so beautifully and sensitively shaped & played it almost silences comment, but in what is, usually, a truly shattering experience, I initially found the central climatic sequence just a shade lacking in ultimate impact; with just a single trumpet and horn in the orchestra, the climactic discordance was carried by harmonic and melodic impact rather than textural or instrumental violence. The layering through of the chamber-orchestration was perhaps just a little too obvious (if enjoyable in the hi-res way.)…
    But so eloquently phrased, so well-played and recorded as this, the emotional intensity remains high; earlier in the movement, the catching-up of the 9th Symphony’s sardonic elements is very vividly done, enriching the 10th with musico-biographical layers of meaning.
    Towards the adagio’s end, the parallels with the deathly, hushed last phrases of the 9th’s finale are very vividly drawn, and the contrast with the wonderful harmonic fulfilment of the closing bars of this adagio very moving indeed. Gold stars all round to the performers here…this is very special.

As Cooke said, that sense of doom and resignation-unto-death of the 9th is, somehow, here faced and moved on from. No wonder some of us see the 10th Symphony, in 5 movements, as so important in Mahlerian listening and understanding.

The first scherzo makes more explicit use of just those elements I’d missed earlier - horn, trumpet/winds very lively, with a chattering, clattering percussive brilliance expressively balanced by the warmth and frequent, overt portamento (out-and-proud in the strings); nice rhythmical bite to it too.
    Perhaps this was the performers’ or arranger’s point though - to emphasise the contrast between the two movements of Part One, the adagio being more string-dominated, elegiac and yearning in its songfulness. (I still wish the adagio’s climax had been given its head more, allowed to shock us out of such reverie. But I carp - and my reservations faded after repeated hearings).
    By the end of the Part One scherzo, I was transfixed by the beauty of the single horn and trumpet playing, so redolent of that Jewish-melodic inspiration from the trumpet solo of the 2nd symphony’s scherzo; and how strikingly Storgårds brings out the early-Mahlerian, Wunderhorn-freshness and innocence which the 10th often seems to echo with; I was moved to tears by the beauty of it, in the midst of all the hauntings of mortality.

I guess what matters in - completions, arrangements, orchestrations - is surely that one must believe in it, in the moment, that it convinces the listening ear that this is how the music should sound and go.
    I rarely felt the 14 strings and 4 winds (plus single horn and trumpet, piano/harmonium, harp and percussion) to be inadequate in either weight or variety of expression. The exposed, jagged string tremolandi and extensive up- and down-swooping portamento were startlingly ear-catching, as were the brightly coloured, occasionally shrieking winds. The percussion is very present and powerful. But there were a few times (in the adagio and purgatorio) when having just a single horn and trumpet seemed a shade underpowered or anti-climactic, in those turning-point climaxes themselves and in sudden punchier dynamic moments.

Storgårds seems a very instinctive Mahlerian, so I was able to sink into the music instinctively myself, most of the time. But in the 4th and 5th movements the full, overtly dramatic resonance of the gong appears, to fill out those yearning climaxes……
    Occurring at the same point of each melodic return in the 2nd scherzo, this was one of the few aspects of orchestration that drew any attention to itself (becoming just a little predictable), as for the most part it is very delicately, sensitively done.
    Where solo piano is used, it may not be very Mahlerian-idiomatic (somewhat theatre-orchestra redolent, and reminding me more of later 20th-C. composers like Stravinsky or Martinu) but still worked very well, reinforcing both the darker moods and and bass textures. Some lovely fresh string counterpoints sliding across the scherzo and finale too. So, while one is always aware of this being a smallish Chamber Orchestra, such is the sensitivity and subtlety of instrumentation & playing, the ear soon adjusts.

Still, on with Part Two and a will-o-the-wisp elusiveness and levity to the purgatorio, unusual and a striking contrast with the impassioned delivery of the two scherzos’ extremes. No holding back here in emotional or melodic beauty and intensity. Dark, layered transparency through the transition, the drum thwacks dry-eyed and ashen, before the flute solo arrives to melt our hearts - and break them. I’ve never heard it more devastatingly tender than here; even after several hearings, I was wrung out by each encounter….I can’t go on; I can’t go on; I’ll go on.
    Gong and piano reinforce both emotional and lower-register impact in the finale, yet the lighter orchestra and solo trumpet again intensify the Wunderhorn atmosphere. After the central crisis, the playing of strings and horn in the main melody is truly beatific; so touchingly, delicately shaped with a piercing tonal beauty. Then a stunning coup-de-theâtre at the end: a dramatic, upswept portamento and long-resonating gong-stroke into the final fade.

I’ve come to adore this recording; completely under its spell. So much so that, trying comparisons with the Barshai version (which Castelletti mentions as a helpful source, in her note) was impossible; in context it now sounded too Straussian and overripe, too obviously Mahlerian-pastiche in some of its effects, and I soon gave up.
    Perhaps the Cooke version will always be, inescapably, the template, the reference; but here’s a chamber-orchestral Mahler 10 to lend you new ears, new insights - and probably borrow your heart as well.

It may be some time before you are able to give it back, or to any other…

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 21-12-22, 02:38.
  • Zucchini
    • Nov 2010

Why are you shouting? It's very rude ...

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
      Why are you shouting? It's very rude ...

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

THANKS JAYNE I WILL LISTEN TO IT IN THE COMING DAYS.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          DITTO. EVEN WHEN ONE ENDS UP TAKING A CONTRARY VIEW, THE ORIGINAL FILLIP IS WORTH WHITE RESPONDING TO POSITIVELY.
          Last edited by Bryn; 13-04-19, 18:56. Reason: Typos

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            As I've explained before - copying this from Pages (after correcting my many typos) the choice is between (say) -

The opening adagio is so beautifully and sensitively shaped & played it

and

....so to facilitate swifter perusal and comprehension of longer writings, I leave it a little larger. It may appear differently on other screens of course...
            But...I mean, a certain over-reaction going on around here...? ...("cmd" and "-", anyone?)
            Phew...

Anyway, it is a gorgeous, glorious record... I hope to hear others' views on it soon... The recording simply teems with significant detail, which is why the review became very lengthy & detailed itself...
            But if instead of making a fuss over typefaces, anyone would like to try a John Crace-style digested read digested, ​feel free...
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 13-04-19, 19:03.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Love the cover.

Will give this a spin over the next couple of days.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Try converting to text - as in this example

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                As I've explained before - copying this from Pages (after correcting my many typos) the choice is between -

and

....so in the interests of swifter perusal and comprehension of longer writings, I leave it a little larger. It may appear differently on other screens of course...
                But...I mean, a certain over-reaction going on around here...?
                It didn't bother me particularly.

However, very surprised that Pages doesn't offer a text option, which you could paste into the for3 input boxes.
                I checked, and coudn't see any way of doing that. However, if you can download and use TextWrangler it's almost immediate.

The developers of Textwrangler would like to migrate users to BBEdit, but TextWrangler should still be available from the App store - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/text...04010395?mt=12

Does that help? Maybe others would like that - though I already wrote that I wasn't really bothered.

See below
                MAHLER SYMPHONY NO.1O. LAPLAND CO/STORGARDS…BIS 24/96… (arr. for Chamber Orchestra by Michelle Castelletti)
                (Qobuz Studio/Download/SACD etc)

The opening adagio is so beautifully and sensitively shaped & played it almost silences comment, but in what is, usually, a truly shattering experience, I initially found the central climatic sequence just a shade lacking in ultimate impact; with just a single trumpet and horn in the orchestra, the climactic discordance was carried by harmonic and melodic impact rather than textural or instrumental violence. The layering through of the chamber-orchestration was perhaps just a little too obvious (if enjoyable in the hi-res way.)…
                But so eloquently phrased, so well-played and recorded as this, the emotional intensity remains high; earlier in the movement, the catching-up of the 9th Symphony’s sardonic elements is very vividly done, enriching the 10th with musico-biographical layers of meaning.
                Towards the adagio’s end, the parallels with the deathly, hushed last phrases of the 9th’s finale are very vividly drawn, and the contrast with the wonderful harmonic fulfilment of the closing bars of this adagio very moving indeed. Gold stars all round to the performers here…this is very special.

As Cooke said, that sense of doom and resignation-unto-death of the 9th is, somehow, here faced and moved on from. No wonder some of us see the 10th Symphony, in 5 movements, as so important in Mahlerian listening and understanding.

The first scherzo makes more explicit use of just those elements I’d missed earlier - horn, trumpet/winds very lively, with a chattering, clattering percussive brilliance expressively balanced by the warmth and frequent, overt portamento (out-and-proud in the strings); nice rhythmical bite to it too.
                Perhaps this was the performers’ or arranger’s point though - to emphasise the contrast between the two movements of Part One, the adagio being more string-dominated, elegiac and yearning in its songfulness. (I still wish the adagio’s climax had been given its head more, allowed to shock us out of such reverie. But I carp - and my reservations faded after repeated hearings).
                By the end of the Part One scherzo, I was transfixed by the beauty of the single horn and trumpet playing, so redolent of that Jewish-melodic inspiration from the trumpet solo of the 2nd symphony’s scherzo; and how strikingly Storgårds brings out the early-Mahlerian, Wunderhorn-freshness and innocence which the 10th often seems to echo with; I was moved to tears by the beauty of it, in the midst of all the hauntings of mortality.

I guess what matters in - completions, arrangements, orchestrations - is surely that one must believe in it, in the moment, that it convinces the listening ear that this is how the music should sound and go.
                I rarely felt the 14 strings and 4 winds (plus single horn and trumpet, piano/harmonium, harp and percussion) to be inadequate in either weight or variety of expression. The exposed, jagged string tremolandi and extensive up- and down-swooping portamento were startlingly ear-catching, as were the brightly coloured, occasionally shrieking winds. The percussion is very present and powerful. But there were a few times (in the adagio and purgatorio) when having just a single horn and trumpet seemed a shade underpowered or anti-climactic, in those turning-point climaxes themselves and in sudden punchier dynamic moments.
                Bws

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  It didn't bother me particularly.

However, very surprised that Pages doesn't offer a text option, which you could paste into the for3 input boxes.
                  I checked, and coudn't see any way of doing that. However, if you can download and use TextWrangler it's almost immediate.

The developers of Textwrangler would like to migrate users to BBEdit, but TextWrangler should still be available from the App store - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/text...04010395?mt=12

Does that help? Maybe others would like that - though I already wrote that I wasn't really bothered.

See below

Bws
                  Cheers Dave...in fact that would be uncomfortably small for me & my own reading/editing/checking here... But - choices, choices... too many, it may even be the case with Mahler 10 itself soon...but this new one is very special.
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 13-04-19, 19:33.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Cheers Dave...in fact that would be uncomfortably small for me & my own reading/editing/checking here... But - choices, choices... too many, it may even be the case with Mahler 10 itself soon...but this new one is very special.
                    I only meant you could prepare the text how you liked first, then convert it to suit the others later.

If you do a lot of checking after you have posted you could surely change the size in the browser you use. Cmd + usually works to increase the font size. I expect you knew all this already, though

Comment

• Bella Kemp
                      • Aug 2014

Beautifully-written Jayne. You offer a wonderful analysis of this interpretation and I will certainly seek it out on the basis of your recommendation.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I can’t see how a chamber version of this work can work?
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                          I can’t see how a chamber version of this work can work?
                          Most of the extant score is extremely thin in texture, of course, owing to its state of incompletion, so actually making a "chamber version" (or any other version) involves adding material most of the time rather than removing it. I think it's an interesting idea. Given that it isn't at all necessary to view the act of making a speculative realisation of this piece as aiming at "what Mahler might have done", it also isn't necessary to think of it as a piece for symphony orchestra.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                            • Nov 2011

Many thanks for this insightful review. I must admit to an immediate ho-hum reaction when this recording popped up on eClassical. While I enjoy the chamber versions of the Fourth Symphony and Das Lied, perhaps it's because I'm relatively unfamiliar with the Tenth that the idea of a chamber version didn't strike me as something I'd add to my collection.

Your post inclines me to change my mind, or at least to listen to it on Audirvana.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Re. RB's comment, one very striking thing about the Lapland CO/Storgårds Castelletti version is its musical consistency - the "density of musical event" feels more sustained through all five movements than in various recordings of the Cooke version I've heard, where, especially in the last three movements you may often feel (due to the sketch-respectful editing) the musical "thinning-out", bareness of texture or musical development is rather obvious.

Whereas with a new chamber-orchestral version as well done as this, that text-related problem seems far less audible, and it largely (well, devotedly and triumphantly, I would say) avoids adding too much to the texture, or the pasting in of supposedly Mahlerian instrumental effects, a problem with some of the other full-orchestral arrangements (which often seem to end up sounding Straussian, or even Elgarian sometimes as in the final climactic sequence of the Samale/Mazzucca...).

So despite the aforementioned reservations, I think this is a very significant Mahler record as well as a very lovable one.
                              (BTW - there's a good Gramophone Collection piece on the 10th in 12/10, from DG).

Listening to Barshai again earlier - one appreciates the commitment and passion of the performance, but it still sounds too lush on the one hand, too pasted-in of oddly unconvincing pseudo-Mahlerian effects on the other,....

Of various possibilities, Mazzetti-II (Cincinnati/Cobos, Telarc etc) looks the most interesting as it tries to adumbrate a more chamber-musical or
                              Lied von der Erde style of orchestration... seek out Gutman's review on the G-database - I hope he does this new one as well.

Alas the Telarc isn't available on Qobuz, the CD is a little scarce/expensive and I'll have to wait for mine to come from over the pond...but I just adore this piece, the Lapland/Storgårds/Castelletti has inspired my love it anew, I'll go to the ends of the musical Earth for it...

Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-04-19, 08:21.

Comment

Working...
                              X