Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Know thy flowers

I have about 8 of these which have suddenly appeared this year - nothin' to do with me. Allium, but what? Rosy garlic (allium roseum)? It seems that it does naturalise in Britain, but I've never seen it before so I'm not sure. Absolutely not ramsons - the leaves are narrow, like chives but not hollow.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

I'm answering myself: yes, it's certainly rosy garlic, isn't it? Since it's clump-forming, I'm not sure how many 'clumps' there are or whether there are 8 separate bulbs: some are close to each other. Anyway, a very welcome new arrival

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

(We now have a sub-forum for horticultural matters...)

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        (We now have a sub-forum for horticultural matters...)
        I know. This is in it The sub-forum is Weeders' Digest. 'New Sub-Forum for All Matters Horticultural' is a thread in the forum.

Comment

Might be of interest to lovers of weeds, wildflowers, cattle and conservation.* A bonus feature is the view from the Temple, across Lough Foyle to the Donegal hills and the little town of Greencastle (I think).

Cattle are being brought to graze at Mussenden Temple to help restore its wildflower meadows.

* The alliteration was accidental, but I'll risk leaving it.

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
            Might be of interest to lovers of weeds, wildflowers, cattle and conservation.* A bonus feature is the view from the Temple, across Lough Foyle to the Donegal hills and the little town of Greencastle (I think).

Cattle are being brought to graze at Mussenden Temple to help restore its wildflower meadows.

* The alliteration was accidental, but I'll risk leaving it.
            Really encouraging that it's so "easy" to achieve some things in some places, isn't it? My unknown seedling (Is it a tree, is it a shrub?) is now a healthy ten-foot sapling - definitely not a weedling.

Comment

Working...
            X