X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
    Yes, I agree they do. And if it is about computer games, there is this:

NHS opens clinic to help child addicts of computer games

The World Health Organization last year recognised “gaming disorder” as a medical condition for the first time.
    [...]
    Gaming disorder is a mental health condition which can have a hugely debilitating effect on people’s lives, both for patients and their families
    I hope the every time that Verdi is mentioned ("Libiamo ne' lieti calici") that you appear to warn us all about the evils of drinking
    we really need protecting from these vile influences on society
    and don't get me started on the sex and drugs opera by Donizetti

pure evil, if you ask me, which you didn't

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      I hope the every time that Verdi is mentioned ("Libiamo ne' lieti calici") that you appear to warn us all about the evils of drinking
      we really need protecting from these vile influences on society
      and don't get me started on the sex and drugs opera by Donizetti

pure evil, if you ask me, which you didn't

Is there any evidence that all the things you mention have actually harmed children and young people? Or is that not your point?

Comment

Is there any evidence that all the things you mention have actually harmed children and young people? Or is that not your point?
        Donizetti encourages hard drugs
        it's obvious

To lump ALL experiences of gaming together is a bit daft and ridiculous
        shades of the whole Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (" The Act specifically defines "music" to include "sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats.") and other moral panics

SOME people become "addicted" to things in ways that adversely affect their lives
        OTHERS become "addicted" to collecting every version of a Strauss tone poem

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with computer games and there is some really interesting music and compositional strategies
        Knee jerk responses to these things just make people appear a bit daft in a Bill Grundy or "Beat Combo" manner

Millions of people play games, millions of people drink beer
        SOME people have problems with one or other of those

Comment

Isn't the only relevant point the one that was mentioned in post 15: not whether video games are 'good', 'bad' or neither/both, or whether they create all sorts of social and mental problems; CERTAINLY not whether game music is 'good' or 'bad'; but whether a weekly programme on Radio Three should be devoted to game music?

If 'Yes' - why a programme on game music? Why on Radio Three? Why has it been thought by the station to be appropriate for Radio Three?

If 'No' - why not? What arguments can be made for considering such a programme out of place? Individual negative and positive reactions don't answer these questions.

Comment

<< but whether a weekly programme on Radio Three should be devoted to game music? >>

Exactly so.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              << but whether a weekly programme on Radio Three should be devoted to game music? >>

Exactly so.
              There is already a film music programme so game music could be seen as the next step. It fits in to what could be regarded as a pretty varied Saturday schedule, if not what purists might consider to be proper R3 fare. What I do wonder is 1)whether R3 will be able to deliver something that works for the intended audience, given that those responsible for such things seem increasingly to miss the mark and please no-one with their bright ideas, and 2) how that audience is going to get to R3 - it's not the most obvious place to look I would have thought. Perhaps the hope is that social media and relevant interest networks will do enough publicising?

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                There is already a film music programme so game music could be seen as the next step. It fits in to what could be regarded as a pretty varied Saturday schedule, if not what purists might consider to be proper R3 fare. What I do wonder is 1)whether R3 will be able to deliver something that works for the intended audience, given that those responsible for such things seem increasingly to miss the mark and please no-one with their bright ideas, and 2) how that audience is going to get to R3 - it's not the most obvious place to look I would have thought. Perhaps the hope is that social media and relevant interest networks will do enough publicising?
                But you could also say that the programme is intended to widen the musical horizon of the existing R3 audience (the likes of us) in the same way as the non-classical proms (and possibly film music) are said to be meant to do (?). All the same, I very much doubt that at this point in history there is a meaningful way of presenting this particular music that fulfils the remits/requirements of Radio3.
                Last edited by doversoul1; 12-10-19, 22:55.

Comment

But you could also say that the programme is intended to widen the musical horizon of the existing R3 audience (the likes of us) in the same way as the non-classical proms (and possibly film music) are said to be meant to do (?). All the same, I very much doubt that at this point in history there is a meaningful way of presenting this particular music that fulfils the requirements of Radio3.
                  The reason I didn't say that is because I don't believe that's the main reason behind the programme, although those of us who choose could indeed have our horizons broadened. I am unconvinced that the existing R3 audience is of prime concern to those in charge.

Comment

I dearly wish I could disagree with you.

Comment

Perhaps somebody at Radio 3 noticed that CFM have programmes devoted to game music and thought they'd better follow their example.

Comment

Reading this thread perfectly shows why so many people think "Classical Music" is only listened to by a load of opinionated snobs who have nothing better to do than try and tell other people what is worth bothering about.

The whole tone is along the lines of "I don't know anything about it, i've never listened to it, but I know it's sh*t. What is more, it's encouraging dangerous addition and anti-social behaviour and must be stopped".

Would you like my opinions about the "offside rule" ? I know f-all about it but have very strong views about it.

Just listen to yourselves for a moment. WHO do you think plays this music ? What do THEY think about it?
                        I think some folks would be very surprised at the musics that are enthusiastically listened to by some of the musicians on R3.

Comment

Reading this thread perfectly shows why so many people think "Classical Music" is only listened to by a load of opinionated snobs who have nothing better to do than try and tell other people what is worth bothering about.

The whole tone is along the lines of "I don't know anything about it, i've never listened to it, but I know it's sh*t. What is more, it's encouraging dangerous addition and anti-social behaviour and must be stopped".

Would you like my opinions about the "offside rule" ? I know f-all about it but have very strong views about it.

Just listen to yourselves for a moment. WHO do you think plays this music ? What do THEY think about it?
                          I think some folks would be very surprised at the musics that are enthusiastically listened to by some of the musicians on R3.
                          Unfortunately such attitudes are rife in any genre of music that I know anything about, which is a few.

Leadership creates opinions and environments, and I think the problem expressed on this board is not about broadening understanding of music, but about an overriding direction of travel on a station that people hold very dear, and whose essence they ( we) feel is being diluted .
                          Personally, I think there is way too much lazy programming on radio 3, which has more than enough space in its schedules and online outlets to widen its music output considerably , without losing either its core audience, or its innovative and exploratory elements.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Unfortunately such attitudes are rife in any genre of music that I know anything about, which is a few.

Leadership creates opinions and environments, and I think the problem expressed on this board is not about broadening understanding of music, but about an overriding direction of travel on a station that people hold very dear, and whose essence they ( we) feel is being diluted .
                            Personally, I think there is way too much lazy programming on radio 3, which has more than enough space in its schedules and online outlets to widen its music output considerably , without losing either its core audience, or its innovative and exploratory elements.
                            I'm still puzzled by the objection to game music though

Mozart, John Zorn, David Bedford, Xenakis et al have ALL used games in composition
                            to my EARS it's very much what R3 is about

Some folks are simply closed minded snobs

Comment

I'm still puzzled by the objection to game music though

Mozart, John Zorn, David Bedford, Xenakis et al have ALL used games in composition
                              to my EARS it's very much what R3 is about

Some folks are simply closed minded snobs
                              Music ( especially new music) which seems to have an overtly functional basis always struggles in this way, doesn’t it ? But over time, things change.
                              Plenty of people on here would recognise the quality of Morricone’s film scores, or Chic’s records.

I don’t think insulting the potential or actual audience is a good idea,and this happens too much in the classical world, usually around Proms time. It is completely negative.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Maybe someone could post a link to a game music recording or two so that those who have yet to hear one - because they loathe games - might give the music a try and comment thereafter.

Comment

Working...
                                X