Latest RAJARs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Chief has pronounced:

"The Radio 3 audience has dipped a little this last quarter, a quarter which saw a non-stop Schubert celebration for eight days in March – but this is not a reason. Radio 3 audience figures do fluctuate around the 2m mark, and we had a strong end to last year, but the amount of time that our listeners listen to us is up year on year –– audience figures are only one measure of our success."

'dipped a little this last quarter' - 15.8% year on year, 9.3% on the previous quarter

'which saw a non-stop Schubert celebration for eight days in March – but this is not a reason' - so a totally irrelevant aside?

'we had a strong end to last year' - not outstandingly strong

'the amount of time that our listeners listen to us is up year on year' - this may have been what Russ was referring to above: when the audience drops the hours per listener tend to go up because the stronger listeners hang on longer. When the audience is up (as last year) the hours per listener go down.

'audience figures are only one measure of our success' - or lack of, and quite a potent one when people turn off completely.

Elsewhere:

"Elsewhere this week the station picked up three Sony awards (gold, silver and bronze for a news feature Child of Ardoyne, a drama Use It or Lose It and Best Music Programme for In Tune, our drivetime programme) – a list which displays the range and distinctiveness of our programming. "

'a list which displays the range and distinctiveness of our programming' - mmmm, two of the three were for Between the Ears programmes, both made by Falling Tree. But, yes, there was a bronze in the Best Music Programme category for In Tune.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      ...But, yes, there was a bronze in the Best Music Programme category for In Tune.
      must have been SR's turn this year - what 'music' programmes were rated above him ?

Comment

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
        what 'music' programmes were rated above him ?
        Fearne Cotton on Radio 1 and Romeo on Radio Scotland http://www.radioacademyawards.org/wi...sic-programme/

Quite a feather in Sean and Suzy's caps to have beaten Steve Lamacq, I'd say
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

can the judges be serious - one point was "engaging interviewees in memorable conversations" - unless of of course they were being tongue in cheek - however must admit I gave up on the programme years ago SR's 'interviews' always wanted to make me cringe.

Comment

can the judges be serious - one point was "engaging interviewees in memorable conversations" - unless of of course they were being tongue in cheek - however must admit I gave up on the programme years ago SR's 'interviews' always wanted to make me cringe.
            Depends on which cheek... or whose...

Comment

Can I claim for a coffee damaged keyboard please? raffers got an award? for being good?

Anyway, Back to the figures.
              Rule 1. Keep your core market happy.
              Rule 2. Find some new punters.

S'easy.
              1. Make "Breakfast" workable for those on the move, and tolerable for the rest.Include some interesting music, which is why anybody tunes in to R3.(and let TTN run through to 7AM)
              2 .Make the rest of the daytime schedule fit for intelligent, enthusiastic, musically aware adults.(which it is sometimes)
              3. Make "In tune" a proper magazine programme that informs about Classical music and the arts, plays good music(which TBF it often does) and has presenters who the audience look forward to hearing.

Is what I would do.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

must have been SR's turn this year - what 'music' programmes were rated above him ?
                Is it a mark of my increasing detachment from R3 that I have no idea who SR is? My immediate thoughts are Steve Race, but I think he's retired/deceased - I don't think he was on R3 anyway, though he was a real musician, an enthusiast for his subject and a talented broadcaster.

Comment

a
                  Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  Is it a mark of my increasing detachment from R3 that I have no idea who SR is? My immediate thoughts are Steve Race, but I think he's retired/deceased - I don't think he was on R3 anyway, though he was a real musician, an enthusiast for his subject and a talented broadcaster.
                  Yes, he was good but alas his Race is run!

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Can I claim for a coffee damaged keyboard please? raffers got an award? for being good?

Anyway, Back to the figures.
                    Rule 1. Keep your core market happy.
                    Rule 2. Find some new punters.

Is what I would do.
                    however looking at the other awards they were praised for interactivity - ie Sony rated Tweets well above the IQ of the programme - as many have pointed out mass appeal is always destined to slide to lowest acceptable standard

Comment

I've now read further back in the thread and I'm guessing that SR is the Irish man in the old Homeward Bound slot at 4.30. I have not listened to that for some years; there are some excellent alternatives on R4 at 4.30 (such as Steve Hewlett's Media programme and Feedback/Right to Reply or whatever that programme's called), followed by the thorough and somewhat quirky hour's news at 5.

Comment

My immediate thoughts are Steve Race, but I think he's retired/deceased - I don't think he was on R3 anyway,
                        Most certainly was on R3 - he followed Humphrey Lyttelton as the next presenter of JRR .

Comment

He passed away 22.06.2009. I used to go to recordings of 'My Music' at the Royal Commonwealth Institute.

Comment

On the face of it, the latest RAJAR numbers for Radio 3 don't look particularly encouraging. The drop in the weekly reach appears to be quite steep. What, if anything, is to be read into these figures?

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                              On the face of it, the latest RAJAR numbers for Radio 3 don't look particularly encouraging. The drop in the weekly reach appears to be quite steep. What, if anything, is to be read into these figures?
                              These are the figures for the quarter to June 2012. Actually, it's a year-on-year drop but an increase over the previous quarter, which was poor.

June 2011 was a 'good' figure, but marked the end of an unusually good set of results between Sept 2010 and June 2011 [Sept 2010 2.145m, Dec 2010 2.216m, March 2011 2.258m, June 2011 2.174m].

These weren't sustained so until we'd worked through another complete year they were always going to be the comparative figures which made the later ones look in percentage terms (very) poor. Since then we've had Sept 2011 2.052m, Dec 2011 2.097m, March 2012 1.902m and now June 2.038m.

However, what we can say is that the schedule changes introduced in Sept 2011 have - at best - merely returned the figures to a fairly uninspiring norm. At worst, we could speculate that the changes were actually responsible for a promising upturn being quickly reversed.

Another factor is the total (average) listening hours per week and looking quickly I think the average weekly hours per listener (5.6 hours) has only once been lower since March 2010 = people not listening as much. The Breakfast figure, however, seems to have bounced back from some poor figures. Are these 'new' listeners or old ones drifting back faute de mieux? That said, the number of respondents in the sample identified as having listened to Breakfast is usually about 30+ which is very small for statistical purposes. (Haven't worked out the figure for this quarter)

The question now is whether there is enough steam in Radio 3's schedule 'refreshment' to continue to attract new listeners or whether weary malcontents will continue to lose interest and drift away.
                              Last edited by french frank; 02-08-12, 10:39. Reason: Added Sept 2011 figures :-)

Comment

Thank you for that. For what it's worth, the more I listen to Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra, the more I find to listen to on those stations, if you see what I mean, and the less time - and inclination, if I'm honest - I have to discover what's on Radio 3 other than the few programmes to which I regularly listen.

Comment

Working...
                                X