End in sight for Classical Collection?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hum, well, just to be sure you're all on the right lines and aren't getting carried away , some more details.

It looks as if it might have the working title 'Essential Classics' (sorry, Paul).

EDITORIAL GUIDE (my bold):

This is a significant part of Radio 3’s weekday daytime schedule and should aim to hold on to as much of the breakfast audience as possible whilst drawing in new listeners from the post-Today Radio 4 switch over. It should also be an entry-point programme to appeal to listeners with a broad interest in mainstream classical music.

It will be a live presenter-led CD-based programme – and the choice of presenter is key to appeal to the above audiences . Suggestions should be made either from Radio 3’s existing roster of presenters or from experienced new talent. The music would be mainly core repertoire and the extended duration of the programme allows for complete works and some longer pieces.

There is an opportunity for each programme to include one guest – either to add a request element to the show, or a piece with some personal, biographical or topical significance.

The focus will be on essential classics. Choice of recordings is paramount, so that the programme includes an element of music recommendation of performers and recordings. There could also be listener interaction around requests or recommendations. The programme should feel inclusive and informative. It must be distinctive and different from the Breakfast programme.

Each day would include regular timed features to aid navigation over the 3 hours. There is the opportunity for elements that bring in something new and surprising. There could also be cycles of works running through or across weeks.

Presentation should be light and brief, without in-depth musicological or complicated biographical detail (which is more suited to COTW which follows). References can be made to artists or concert series currently happening around the UK.

The successful company will be judged on resilience and reliability to deliver a three-hour live programme, five days a week, Monday to Fridays 50 weeks a year to an excellent standard.

The company would be responsive to station priorities and connect regularly with other strands. A live daily trail into Radio 3 Breakfast would be expected.

So, there you have it ...
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

>> (sorry, Paul).

It's ok ff, I've had to get used to disappointment during daylight broadcasting hours.

Comment

Essential Classics - sorry, Sony?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Then re-instate the Rob & Jon show please - it was such a good programme, so intelligent and interesting - to reinstate it is NOT just 'going back and being safe', imho it is also playing to your strengths....

Comment

From a CFM news item:

"This latest survey covers the first three months of 2011 and coincides with the period when John Suchet took over our morning programme. John’s arrival has given the morning show [9am-midday] a massive boost in listening, with 247,000 more people tuning into the programme than this time last year, giving his show a total weekly audience of 2.936 million listeners."

The competition hots up
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance on these matters but:

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              The successful company will...
              Is the use of an external production company a departure for Radio 3?
              (I had assumed all the live programmes on Radio 3 were BBC productions. Would it still be broadcast from Broadcasting House?)

Comment

Originally posted by Word View Post
                (I had assumed all the live programmes on Radio 3 were BBC productions. Would it still be broadcast from Broadcasting House?)
                No, CD Masters and Classical Collection were both indie prods. Both Classic Arts, I think.

Comment

Perhaps Sara could have a week in Countdown's 'Dictionary Corner'? I'm sure it didn't do John Suchet's ratings any harm. (And I'm sure Sara wouldn't do Countdown's ratings any harm either).

Comment

Originally posted by Word View Post
                    Please excuse my ignorance on these matters but:

'Private Passions' is not, and to the best of my knowledge never has been, a BBC production. I think it's actually recorded chez Berkeley.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                      'Private Passions' is not, and to the best of my knowledge never has been, a BBC production. I think it's actually recorded chez Berkeley.
                      Also Classic Arts.

Comment

Thank you for the replies FF and Ofcachap. Hopefully the 'this has been an xyz production for Radio 3' announcement at the end of the programme will be as discreet as possible.
                        Last edited by Word; 15-05-11, 15:01. Reason: Oops!

Comment

Btw, my 'No' was in reply to your first question. But, yes, I think live programmes are usually done from BH (most from the same R3 continuity suite). PPs is recorded, though.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

.... It should also be an entry-point programme to appeal to listeners with a broad interest in mainstream classical music.

It will be a live presenter-led CD-based programme – and the choice of presenter is key to appeal to the above audiences . Suggestions should be made either from Radio 3’s existing roster of presenters or from experienced new talent. The music would be mainly core repertoire and the extended duration of the programme allows for complete works and some longer pieces.

There is an opportunity for each programme to include one guest – either to add a request element to the show, or a piece with some personal, biographical or topical significance.

The focus will be on essential classics. ...

Presentation should be light and brief...
                            Initial reaction: severe danger of a load of sub-CFM b*****ks.

This made me : "without in-depth musicological or complicated biographical detail"

Because COTW is so complicated and hard to understand, isn't it??

Only possible saving grace:
                            "Choice of recordings is paramount, so that the programme includes an element of music recommendation of performers and recordings."

"...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

In other words, target "the audience you want", not "the audience you have".

If they're getting more new listeners and better ratings than ever by doing what they're doing now, how could you even think they'd radically change course to an old-style show? And if they already made it clear having a light, inclusive, winning personality is key--with short core repertoire pieces, interactivity, and "no indepth detail" as a must-- what's left for you to say? Isn't that enough for most of you to have made up your minds already?

FF: have you heard anything about who ended up submitting proposals? Might be interesting to think about, at any rate.

Comment

Anyway, getting back:

The new prog is to be a 3-hour CD-based programme

It will aim to hold on as far as possible to the Breakfast audience

It will also be an entry-point for new listeners, especially from R4's Today programme

The choice of presenter is regarded as 'key to the appeal' of the programme

There will often be a guest to suggest a musical work or contribute a piece of biographical or topical information

There will be opportunities for interactivity with listeners

The programme will avoid in-depth musicological or 'complicated' biographical detail

Music: mainstream classical, allowing for complete works and some longer pieces

If they're getting more new listeners and better ratings than ever by doing what they're doing now, how could you even think they'd radically change course to an old-style show?
                                But they're getting fewer listeners - the figures I've seen for CDM were higher than the figures I've seen for CC. What do you call this if not an 'old-style show'?

As to who submitted a proposal: Classic Arts did CDM; they tendered for, and got, CC ... so ...

The significance won't be the company - it'll be the brief.
                                Last edited by french frank; 15-05-11, 15:27.

Comment

Working...
                                X