X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
    Exactly! .We'll be dong precisely the same, including a bonfire, atop of which will be a number of E.U. symbols (don't call them flags, please!) ..........We won! Get over it, move on, put the Brexit/Remain argument behind you and get real!
    I didn't realise it was a dong - I thought it was to be a bong.

Comment

• Andy Freude

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I didn't realise it was a dong - I thought it was to be a bong.
      Or as TS Eliot put it: "This is the way the world ends, not with a bong but a whimper."

Comment

• subcontrabass
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        The Scottish Government have decided that the European Flag will continue to be flown outside The Parliament building after tomorrow.
        It is also the flag of the Council of Europe (of which UK remains a member, despite the efforts of the previous Prime Minister).

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
          Banned
          • Jun 2019

Exactly! .We'll be dong precisely the same, including a bonfire, atop of which will be a number of E.U. symbols (don't call them flags, please!) ..........We won! Get over it, move on, put the Brexit/Remain argument behind you and get real!
          This is a typically juvenile leave attitude. I for one won't be celebrating. Just like millions and millions both in the UK and in Europe won't be celebrating. How can we celebrate the break-up of the union, the extra pressure on the NHS, the ensuing economic disaster, the global isolation (UK will be the world's Billy No Mates), restrictions on travel (we'll probably need visas to travel around Europe in the future), the queues at Dover and Calais, eating chlorine-fed chicken and so on?

I will refuse to take the EU flags from my car's licence plate and will continue to fly the EU flag at this year's Proms (we should all do this).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Felix The Gnat View Post
            This is a typically juvenile leave attitude. I for one won't be celebrating. Just like millions and millions both in the UK and in Europe won't be celebrating. How can we celebrate the break-up of the union, the extra pressure on the NHS, the ensuing economic disaster, the global isolation (UK will be the world's Billy No Mates), restrictions on travel (we'll probably need visas to travel around Europe in the future), the queues at Dover and Calais, eating chlorine-fed chicken and so on?

I will refuse to take the EU flags from my car's licence plate and will continue to fly the EU flag at this year's Proms (we should all do this).

Comment

• Andy Freude

We won! Get over it,
              As Owen Barfield maintained, truth is greater than victory. You have victory.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

I would watch Barry Keefe's "The Long Good Friday", his Britain playing off the USA against Europe allegory. However, instead, I will be at Cafe OTO, following an afternoon at Maida Vale (a BBCSO recording fo International Women's Day).

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2019

Originally posted by Andy Freude View Post
                  As Owen Barfield maintained, truth is greater than victory. You have victory.
                  Victory? They may have won the war, but they haven't won the Battle. We'll end up asking to be taken back under a Labour government led by Keir Starmer or the EU will invite us back. It's not over until the well-covered comfortably built lady sings.

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    I haven't heard of any such parties taking place hereabouts.

There's one on College Green here in London outside Parliament - but Farage will be attending that, so must be organised by the other side. By which I mean not the Lib Dems. Don't know if they've sorted out the Big Ben chimes issue though.

(I nearly wrote "the Big Bend" )
                    Apparently Boris will provide his own bongs, but I shan't hear him because I shall be tucked up in bed with John Simpson.

Comment

• Andy Freude

Victory? They may have won the war, but they haven't won the Battle. We'll end up asking to be taken back under a Labour government led by Keir Starmer or the EU will invite us back. It's not over until the well-covered comfortably built lady sings.
                      In the long run, yes. When the truth emerges. But as Barfield also said: "The obvious is the hardest thing of all to point out to anyone who has genuinely lost sight of it."

Comment

• muzzer
                        • Nov 2013

Haven’t read the thread, sorry. But there is nothing to celebrate whatsoever. I never thought I’d live to see such lunacy in this country. We are the laughing stock of the world, ridiculous and insignificant in our parochial self-obsession. And I will go toe to toe with anyone stupid enough to disagree. Have a great day, I’m off to the gym, then to hit the books.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                          Haven’t read the thread, sorry. But there is nothing to celebrate whatsoever. I never thought I’d live to see such lunacy in this country. We are the laughing stock of the world, ridiculous and insignificant in our parochial self-obsession. And I will go toe to toe with anyone stupid enough to disagree. Have a great day, I’m off to the gym, then to hit the books.
                          I'm going to avoid all news for the next 48 hours.

Comment

• Felix the Gnat
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2019

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            There was a man in the newsagents this morning gloating and saying in a loud voice that he, his wife and children will be going to a Brexit party this evening at a neighbour's house. I was angry with myself for not anticipating this sort of thing today and preparing some witty and cutting responses (I could have kicked myself becauseI thought of several clever replies, but only as I was walking home). It was probably better that I said nothing because he looked like a ruffian and I confess I felt a little intimidated.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              But you'll miss Our Great Liar's speech to the nation...

Comment

• gradus
                                • Nov 2010

Truly a black-tie event.

Comment

Working...
                                X