The Prince and the Composer (Parry)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Russ_H View Post
    I missed this programme when it was first broadcast, but it is being repeated this evening on
    BBC4, starting at half past seven.
    Was good to see that, thanks.

I think David Owen Norris discussing 'Jerusalem' at the piano is one of the best and most enjoyable bits of musical analysis I've ever seen...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Yes i thought so to. I saw this forst time around and fouind it quite illumunating.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Parry's music is to die for.
        The rehearsal sequences and snippets from the glorious 5th symphony were fascinating.
        Please folks,do try the symphonies and chamber music.

Comment

ER has asked me to mention that the symphonies are available here

Actually he didn't, I just thought he would like me to !
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            ER has asked me to mention that the symphonies are available here

Actually he didn't, I just thought he would like me to !
            "He"??? Oh! Edgy!

With this Thread title, I wondered if "ER" might not be ... errr ...
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              "He"??? Oh! Edgy!

With this Thread title, I wondered if "ER" might not be ... errr ...

Modesty would forbid, of course... Anyway I know who I meant ! A little mystery goes a long way......

(No5 is going along nicely down here at the library....)
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Modesty would forbid, of course... Anyway I know who I meant ! A little mystery goes a long way......

(No5 is going along nicely down here at the library....)

Comment

second viewing last night, as wonderful second time round .... actually Caliban DON at the piano analysing any music [he has been used a couple of time and also the odd BAL stays in the memory] is a very fine treat indeed imv ..

who is J Dibble Prof.? not sure in my reactions to him this time around .... must be me ....

his nibs witters
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                    second viewing last night, as wonderful second time round .... actually Caliban DON at the piano analysing any music [he has been used a couple of time and also the odd BAL stays in the memory] is a very fine treat indeed imv ..

who is J Dibble Prof.? not sure in my reactions to him this time around .... must be me ....

his nibs witters
                    Agreed on all points. Dibble made me squirm somewhat, Charlie a little too but in a sort of good way, being so dotty and mannered...

DON's BALs are classics
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I though Charlie boy did a good presentation.(Unless he needed a pint of his Duchy real ale!?!?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Thank you for the reminder. It was perfect Sunday afternoon fare.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Parry's music is to die for.
                          I could have been a real Parry fan, had not Elgar eclipsed him. Parry's orchestration is just less imaginative, more like organ music and relying too heavily on the strings. That said, Blest Pair of Sirens is the best piece of Elgar that he never wrote.

Comment

Working...
                          X