The Prince and the Composer (Parry)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly wasn't converted to Parry by this programme (though I will always have a soft spot for the big choral pieces, which I've known since my teens), but I was glad to see Prince Charles's obvious enthusiasm, and since I knew absolutely nothing about Parry's background I found all that interesting. The music (what I could hear of it through the chat) didn't seem to have much original to say, though the piano piece 'Dolly' might find its way onto CFM's Relaxing Classics

Comment

I came back from the Lakes last night, and forgot that the programme was on, I'll catch it later. I would have thought it entirely consistent that our most boring royal ( and that's saying something! ) should pick one of our most boring composers. I've been listening in the mornings this week to the Parry symphonies, awful stuff, Brahms without any tunes.
      As for Prince Charles being a parody of himself, he was fast becoming that back in the 80s when I spent a couple of days working with him. A not very bright man surrounded by unfortunate advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        I came back from the Lakes last night, and forgot that the programme was on, I'll catch it later. I would have thought it entirely consistent that our most boring royal ( and that's saying something! ) should pick one of our most boring composers. I've been listening in the mornings this week to the Parry symphonies, awful stuff, Brahms without any tunes.
        As for Prince Charles being a parody of himself, he was fast becoming that back in the 80s when I spent a couple of days working with him. A not very bright man surrounded by unfortunate advisers.
        Wonderful to know that you're going to be tuning in to the programme with such an open mind, ferret!!

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I'm a big Parry fan, and thought the programme was sincere and it was interesting to see inside Shulbrede and see some of the memorabilia. I first discovered Parry's music in depth about 15 years ago, and it was far better than I had imagined. The symphonies are often very interestingly constructed and although not international masterpieces are certainly well worth getting to know and definitely as good as some better known symphonies. The chamber music, much of it earlier from early in his career, wasn't touched upon, but some of it is of a very high standard and structually quite innovative, the A flat Piano Quartet and Fantasy-sonata for Violin & Piano in B for example. I actually wish he had placed more emphasis on instrumental music later in his career, as some of the larger choral works which he wrote for the various festivals that I've heard are not amongst his most inspiring pieces. Another fascinating work is the Piano Concerto in F sharp, again relatively early c1876, but IMO as good as many other piano concertos of the period. I would also love to hear that Magnificat in its entirety I was really taken with what I heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            I wonder how many on these boards would come across as 'chuntering' in various idiosyncratic ways if they were allowed to produce a programme about the off-the-beaten track composer for whom they have an enthusiasm
            For someone who's supposed to have public speaking as part of his 'job' description he's remarkably bad at it. It would help if he moved his lower jaw a bit. If he finds it (speaking, that is) difficult, perhaps he should see a therapist as his grandfather did.

I've spoken in public about my interests, & I don't think I was anywhere as bad as he is. As for making a TV programme, I'm not royal so I doubt if I would be asked (or a politician or media star).

There does sem to be something of a media blitz on royalty at the moment - the wedding, of course, & the prog about Prince Philip (which didn't boost the 'charm' ratings by much, apparently), & now the PoW. What next - Harry on how to throw a fancy dress party?

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              For someone who's supposed to have public speaking as part of his 'job' description he's remarkably bad at it. It would help if he moved his lower jaw a bit. If he finds it (speaking, that is) difficult, perhaps he should see a therapist as his grandfather did.

I've spoken in public about my interests, & I don't think I was anywhere as bad as he is. As for making a TV programme, I'm not royal so I doubt if I would be asked (or a politician or media star).

There does sem to be something of a media blitz on royalty at the moment - the wedding, of course, & the prog about Prince Philip (which didn't boost the 'charm' ratings by much, apparently), & now the PoW. What next - Harry on how to throw a fancy dress party?
              Points taken!!

Although I don't think he's that bad, in the sense that a kind of dotty sincerity comes across. I much prefer that to the sort of fake smarminess that comes across from too many people seen on the box
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

True, in a way, & I expect some of his mannerisms are the result of his upbringing (the D of E as a dad, & being shunted of to Gordonstoun), as much as his grandpa's were. I've just been reading an article in the Herald about the Duke of Rothsay's support for 'saving' Dumfries House, which has been good for the area. I must go & visit it sometime.

Comment

I find myself needing to separate out the programme content...which was good in the sense that it brought Parry's life and lesser known works to a new public...from HRH's involvement in it. Undoubtedly his being there will have increased the audience. Good thing. But his asides were IMO very platitudinous and I wasn't sure of his role. Was he the presenter leading us through the programme, or was someone else? And his sotto voce asides to Mr Dibble whilst the orchestra was playing (I wonder if they were as annoying to them as they were to me?) reminded me of David Attenborough eavsdropping on the mountain gorillas.

But thanks BBC4 for doing one of your rather rare music programmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Segilla View Post
                    .It was a pity that no mention was made in the film of Parry's fine 'Invocation to Music', (which includes a section very much like the form of 'Blest Pair') and cannot understand why it, like the symphonies is ignored / uknown.
                    These works deserve to be staple fare at the Proms rather than familiar ones by other composers which can be heard regularly on the radio and available in many recordings.
                    I couldn't agree more.I love Parry's music and regularly listen to the many recordings in my collection.The same can be said of Stanford , another of my favourite composers.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned that this is a John Bridcut film (he of The Passions of VW and Elgar the Man Behind the Mask ? It is not a "Film by HRH The Prince of Wales" as billed. It didn't convert me to Parry, but I will investigate starting with Sym #5.

(This film will be repeated at 9pm on Monday 6th June).

According to Bridcut's website, he has a forthcoming BBC Four film on Rostropovich.

I think the Bridcut musical films are better put together than those of Tony Palmer, and thankfully he doesn't "stretch" archive photographs and footage to widescreen format, as he recently did in a film that made Holst look like he'd gained four or five stone.

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                        Has anyone mentioned that this is a John Bridcut film (he of The Passions of VW and Elgar the Man Behind the Mask ? It is not a "Film by HRH The Prince of Wales" as billed.
                        I wonder if it was PoW who approached the film makers, or vice versa? Is it being hung on the wedding peg? (I've just thought - perhaps 'Blest pair of sirens' should have been played when Kate & Pippa made their entrance? )

Anyway, I'll not say any more (sighs of relief all round) as Parry's music is a closed book to me.

Comment

I am inclined to agree with Flosshild. Is this a programme about a composer or a prince? We now have a photograph of HRH on Radio3 Homepage.

Comment

Caliban,

I will of course suspend judgement when I watch, as actually I'm all in favour of having an open mind,as long as our brains don't fall out of the bottom.Parry is a safe choice for the prince, because on public matters he is under so much restraint. When he does go out on a limb, on architecture for example, he gets a barrage of criticism which is often justified.
                            Having a monarchy is a form of mental cruelty to all the royals, some deal with it better than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Boilk View Post
                              and thankfully he doesn't "stretch" archive photographs and footage to widescreen format, as he recently did in a film that made Holst look like he'd gained four or five stone.
                              I think that's just a film editor's utter incompetence, but the producer/director should check it before broadcast.

Comment

Alpensinfonie

I don't think a film editor was to blame, as Tony Palmer does his own editing nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                                X