Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Prince and the Composer (Parry)

Default The Prince and the Composer (Parry)

Is anyone watching this? Prince Charles is surprisingly knowledgeable.
    There's more to Parry that his Royal Wedding music.

Is the Prince supposed to make Parry more appealing, or vice-versa? I think listening to Prince Charles chuntering on in his strangulated tones & almost immobile lower jaw would be the kiss of death for any subject (geddit?).

Yes, but I was really referring to the music and the content of the programme. Prince Charles comes across as genuinely sincere, without any "celebrity gushing". In other words, he's not seeking attention for himself; instead, he's diverting the viewers to the music. Nothing wrong with that.

I am and I disagree Flossie... Yes, there's a sense that Charlie is rather a parody of himself and a slight sense of embarrassment in watching him, but at the same time I find it encouraging that he's a Parry nut (I wonder how many on these boards would come across as 'chuntering' in various idiosyncratic ways if they were allowed to produce a programme about the off-the-beaten track composer for whom they have an enthusiasm - it would be a pity to be entirely turned off by that). I'm finding I can see beyond any mannerisms to aspects of a composer I knew next to nothing about. I also happened to be able to catch some of the symphonies in the morning this week, particularly No 5 this morning which is featuring in the programme tonight. The "Love" movement is gorgeous. And nice to see Norris illustrating interesting aspects of familiar tunes like Jerusalem (fascinating that the piece begins with its highest note, the final chord almost but not quite managing to attain that note again...). Good old Charles for chuntering on about something of which it's well worth getting under the surface.
    "There is not much to see here," said I.
    "Nor to hear, miss," returned Mr Vholes. "A little music does occasionally stray in; but we are not musical in the law, and soon eject it."

Bleak House, Chapter 60

Mandryka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    Yes, but I was really referring to the music and the content of the programme. Prince Charles comes across as genuinely sincere, without any "celebrity gushing". In other words, he's not seeking attention for himself; instead, he's diverting the viewers to the music. Nothing wrong with that.
    True: the P of W has some very genuine, and arcane, enthusiasms - we should be happy that he wants to share them with us, rather than trying to persuade us that he's a 'regular guy' who watches the X-Factor and The Apprentice.

Hst, I don't think anyone could make me enthusiastic about Parry. Nice try, though, YRH.

I'm taken with the Parry Magnificat.

I am with Eine Alpensinfonie and Caliban on this one, and I am not a royalist. It was interesting to put a partial enthusiast (HRH) in at the deep end and chuck some Parry works at him of which he (nor I) was not aware. He spoke as honestly as most of us would have done if we were all sitting around a TV with our preconceived ideas about Parry and with an equal sense of surprise at hearing members of Parry's family. I loved the contributions of David Owen Norris expressing what appeals about the well-known melodies and equally the deeper thoughts of "Officer" Dibble and Vassily Sinaisky.

To hear some thoughts on families and how they get on were familiar, shocking, and extremely honest on the part of HRH.

I, too, was taken by the Magnificat.

I thought that using Parry as his foil (pun intended) it was interesting from the pov of saying as much about Charles and his relationship with his dad as about its subject matter.

Still haven't worked out why Parry's music works better when setting words.

s_a

Can we blend the two threads please?

I've closed the one on The Choir board but you can read it here. (They didn't seem to merge very well.)