Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Die Meistersinger: 26 June live stream from Glyndebourne

Default Die Meistersinger: 26 June live stream from Glyndebourne

David McVicar's new production with a cast led by the brilliant Gerald Finley has been widely acclaimed. It will be streamed on The Guardian website on Sun 26 June, I think commencing at about 1.45pm. I believe there will be a limited 'Listen Again' facility - but E&OE!

I'll see if I can remember how to put it into the calendar - then a reminder will show up in the What's Going On section at the bottom of the homepage

Some details here.

These are the timings from the Glyndebourne site:

Sunday 26 June 2011
    Starts 1:40pm
    Intervals 3:15 - 3:40pm, 4:45 - 6:05pm
    Ends 8:25pm

Guardian review here.

Seems as if The Turn of the Screw will also be streamed on the Guardian site - on 21 August.
    Last edited by french frank; 28-05-11 at 19:33.

FF
    It's an interesting development actually - a national newspaper deciding to gently tread on the toes of BBC4

Quote Originally Posted by Osborn View Post
    FF
    It's an interesting development actually - a national newspaper deciding to gently tread on the toes of BBC4
    Indeed - and the Guardian too! Quite a paradox with the ROH hitting the big screens and Glyndebourne available in all our homes: it appears that opera is seen as very much the genre of the masses. (And quite right too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Osborn View Post
    FF
    Ah yes - remember the days when you could see Glyndebourne productions on ITV - including that 'top of the opera pops' THe Return of Ulyses?

Cost to view?

Quote Originally Posted by DracoM View Post
    Cost to view?
    The Guardian stream? Nix, zero, zilch. (They say, in the expression that I dislike, it's 'for free'.) I've now taken in that they also say it will be available for seven days thereafter - so you can watch it as a serial

This is also being screened in selected cinemas on the same date. Will be going to this next week, so will report back in due course.

Quote Originally Posted by french frank View Post
    Indeed - and the Guardian too! Quite a paradox with the ROH hitting the big screens and Glyndebourne available in all our homes
    I'm trying to work out the implications of the first five words of this reply! Surprise that it should be The Guardian? Surely not, with its consistently good Arts coverage; and possibly the only national newspaper to have an enthusiast for all things musical as its Editor! Or are you suggesting that The Times or Sun is more likely to compete with the BBC on political grounds? Not that we'd get anything free from that particular source!
    Last edited by VodkaDilc; 29-05-11 at 21:15.

Some years back the Guardian provided free downloads to the complete set of illustrated lectures given by Andras Schiff on the Beethoven piano sonatas. In fact, they're still available on the website, e.g. the first set here.