Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Minimalism surveyed - 4.6.2011

is that
    6323003 ?

which would have been used as a rhythmic cell if they were listening to Einstein !
    (not sure what to do with 0 though )

etc
    Last edited by MrGongGong; 08-06-11 at 20:37.

hackneyvi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MrGongGong View Post
    is that
    6323003 ?
    Good Lord, it is! Well remembered.

Don't know that the cones add anything.

This might be getting 1. baffling and B. annoying for other readers, so I'll stop! But not before saying that the Chamber Concert Society still seems to be going strong (though I see it's wandered again; having left St Hildeburgh's for St Andrews in the 90s, it's apparantly now to be found at the Westbourne Hall near Ashton Park).

I hadn't thought about any of this for years. Now, back it goes in the box.
    Last edited by hackneyvi; 08-06-11 at 23:25.

I was looking forward to this, but thought it a very poor documentary, way inferior to the Discovering Music feature presented by Charles Hazlewood last year. The lowest point was reached in the fatuous audience vox pops outside Nixon in China. The narrative was unclear and unfocused - why were his "key works" so described? - and there was a lot of drivel about how cool and awesome it was hanging around art lofts in New York's Soho district in the 1960s. It really was just a lazy travelogue sort of programme, with a presenter so beholden to his subjects, he was unable to question them purposefully to clarify or enlighten the listener.

Here is the imv much better exposition by Radio 3 last year.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00gqtmz

Just catching the end of the H&N programme after the minimalist survey before it becomes lost to the iPlayer. Some of this stuff sounds really good - the cello octet pieces seem fun. Must give up and go to bed soon.

Quote Originally Posted by pilamenon View Post
    I was looking forward to this, but thought it a very poor documentary, way inferior to the Discovering Music feature presented by Charles Hazlewood last year
    I would really take issue with this
    What I really liked about this documentary was that it located the music as being outside the orchestral tradition, orchestras playing inC (for example) really miss the point !
    Glass's ensemble in the 1980's ....... at rock band volume, fast (in an Icebreaker style !) and frighteningly accurate was exhilarating
    this music doesn't stem from the mainstream of art music even though several of the composers have taken it there

Quote Originally Posted by hackneyvi View Post
    Don't know that the cones add anything.
    Considering road cones were on the covers of the first two Kraftwerk albums, as we've established to be influential to McCluskey, I'd say they do!

Before the OMD part of this thread goes entirely back into the box, I'd like to mention that I saw them perform in Hollywood a couple months ago on their first US tour in 23 years, and they were phenomenal, playing to a young crowd which clearly loved them.