Lebrecht: Prommers Ruin the Proms

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
    Ahem . . .
    Sorry, an autocorrection from my iPhone which I overlooked. The same is to blame for any instance of "it's" with an unnecessary apostrophe (honest)

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      Page-truners have their virtues - good ones are indeed indispensible - but even the best of them serve a useful purpose only when they're assisting (usually a pianist) in performance; the prospect of Mr Lebrecht doing any such thing simply doesn't bear thinking about...
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Lebrecht is dangerous, because he encourages others to do the Prommers injustice. It will only a matter of weeks before the usual patronising nonsense starts to appear in reviews etc. I'm not suggesting that all behaviour in a hall that holds 5000 people is beyond reproach, but it does incense me when lazy writing produces stereotypes of the Lebrecht variety.
        Like many others, I have made permanent friends at the Proms, and every year I find myself in the company of generous hearted music lovers, of all ages incidentally. I may be one of Norman's senile geriatrics in the audience, but many of my companions are not!

Comment

Mr. Lebrecht is England's most eminent and accurate living critic.
          Did you say this when J.B. Steane was alive? If so, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

As for "unwritten rules", someone has to make a few, 'cos the ushers, Roger Wright and the hall management don't seem to have got their act together.
          RW's fault again, is it? Perhaps this season he should wear a blue coat, leap out of his box like a parkour artist and break up the impending fistfights between belligerent interlopers and peevish regulars.

Lebrecht is dangerous, because he encourages others to do the Prommers injustice.
          We're doing ourselves an injustice.

In my opinion, if rules aren't made perfectly explicit to everyone, there's no point in having them at all. Needlessly humiliating people for violating self-imposed codes of conduct is quite odious. There's absolutely no reason to assume people are deliberately trying to violate your standards when they're only behaving as they would in any other nominally "open" concert venue. And why is it that the only place people are having problems is the upper half of the upper left-hand quadrant of the Arena? Doesn't that tell you something?

While many prommers are perfectly kind and reasonable, many more could use a good dose of empathy and humility. It only takes one obnoxious jerk flying off the handle or one bitchy matron stage-whispering all sorts of vile things about you to ruin the whole evening.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-06-11, 01:17.

Comment

cavatina,

The people in the left hand quadrant of the Arena that you refer to are the first to arrive at the hall every day, often for a picnic on the steps. It's true that they can be a bit territorial at times, but it's also true that they are responsible every year for the hugely successful charity collection, over £70,000 raised last season., and this involves a great deal of hard work.
            I'm not of their number, but I know many of them to talk to and pass the time of day, and I haven't been treated badly yet.

A couple of years ago a middle aged man barged in after the interval with a tiny and very fractious child bouncing up and down on his shoulders just as Nigel Kennedy started to play the Elgar Violin Concerto, a total distraction which ruined enjoyment for many. After the concerto he pushed his way out, nearly knocking us over in the process. Obviously he had not been taught the "self imposed unwritten rules" that you seem concerned about.

As for the front quadrant folk, well, all regular events have their ardent fan groups, and the Proms are no exception. Let's live with it happily and enjoy the music.

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
              On the contrary, Storming Norman is known throughout the music industry for his love of hyperbole and his failure to check even the most basic of facts. How many other 'eminent' critics have had to have their books withdrawn and rewritten because of inaccuracies and libels they contained?

London Evening Standard columnist Norman Lebrecht has had his latest book removed from shops over concerns about libel and accuracy. By Caitlin Fitzsimmons.

He is also not well liked. As one eminent conductor told the Independent at the time of the above withdrawal, Mr Lebrecht has, "for years, been getting away with "pompous, preposterous judgment" and "inept research".

Don't you think Mr Grew's message #4 was perhaps just the tiniest little bit ironic...????
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Just my opinion, but if Nigel Kennedy had started playing I find it difficult to see what enjoyment there was to ruin.

I think we need to be careful to distinguish between different but overlapping groups. Not every Season Ticket holder who queues early goes to the front left. Not every habitual picnicker is involved with PMC (which is actually quite a small but dedicated group who succeed in recruiting many volunteers). No amount collected for charity could justify bad behaviour (whether of the pushing-in variety or the shouting-at-pushers-in variety). I imagine that PMC would want nothing to do with territorial arguments.

One obstacle to progress here is that Prommers are a very democratic bunch. Anyone who turns up for the first time on a day ticket is a Prommer; no Prommer has the authority to speak on behalf of other Prommers. The Trustees of PMC have no authority to represent the views of the Prommers on non-PMC matters (and there'd be resentment in certain quarters if they tried). Any effort to get the Hall to accept what a published code of behaviour should look like is down to individuals appealing to the Hall management's common sense, and that's a lost cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Don't you think Mr Grew's message #4 was perhaps just the tiniest little bit ironic...????
                  Although it can be hard to tell with Mr Grew's posts, it did seem too much even for him, so yes, I did realise I might be jumping into the sar chasm, but I'm afraid I couldn't resist the opportunity to have a go at Lebrecht.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Philip T

I think you may have been pleasantly surprised by Nige on that occasion, he played it very well.

I'm in one of the overlapping groups, usually near the fountain as I don't want to stand with my nose under the violinist's knees. The start of the season is always a bit like a new term, greeting familiar faces from a year back, other than those spotted at the Barbican or elsewhere. My point really is that every year this discussion about bad behaviour comes up, with a great many exaggerations. Of course spats and insults do happen, as they would do in any packed crowd in a hot space, but please, lets not overstate the case.
                    You are quite right that anyone who turns up on a day ticket is a Prommer, that's why my friends and I make them welcome, especially when it's their first visit. The complaints only arise when late comers try to push in when there's already limited space. You surely don't need to be told unwritten rules when it's a matter of common courtesy.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Far more easily said than done, I'm afraid - at least for someone who has, as I have, read many of his posts elsewhere in which he rarely misses an opportunity to talk up Mr Lebrecht whom he seems convinced is a shining beacon of his profession and a leading authority on life, the universe and everything musical - so I fear that "we" must take him at his word...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        Far more easily said than done, I'm afraid - at least for someone who has, as I have, read many of his posts elsewhere in which he rarely misses an opportunity to talk up Mr Lebrecht whom he seems convinced is a shining beacon of his profession and a leading authority on life, the universe and everything musical - so I fear that "we" must take him at his word...
                        I tried that tack at first, but it is so clear that the Grewsome one is very well versed in the music of the 20th, and quite possibly the 21st, century. The glaring inaccuracies of fact in Lebrecht's tomes, especially the various editions of his dreadful survey of 20th Century music, cannot possibly have evaded Grew's attention. A (failed) attempt at irony is the only plausible interpretation, in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          I tried that tack at first, but it is so clear that the Grewsome one is very well versed in the music of the 20th, and quite possibly the 21st, century. The glaring inaccuracies of fact in Lebrecht's tomes, especially the various editions of his dreadful survey of 20th Century music, cannot possibly have evaded Grew's attention. A (failed) attempt at irony is the only plausible interpretation, in my view.
                          In that case it must be a variety of irony of which I have little experience and even less understanding; if SG really has his tongue firmly in his cheek every time he offers plaudits to NL, so be it, but I must say that my peruslas of his poss in which he dies so do not seem to me especially suggestive of this (if only they did!)...

Comment

Working...
                          X