Page 51 of 95 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 942

Thread: A quick glance around the schedules

  1. #501
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    a bit west of kirrie
    Posts
    2,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    Think though I will be having dinner a bit later than usual. Roast hamster always tastes better in the afternoon anyway:]
    ......a dish best served cold, Lat?

    I thought Sarah Jarosz' cover of The tourist (Radiohead song apparently) was terrific. Enjoyed Ms Mitchell - she was reminding me of Martha Wainwright a bit, but I enjoyed her songs. Still think Cerys could do with a lesson or two in interviewing - she's still not great at it - but she does play a lot of fine tunes.

  2. #502
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,052

    Default

    might as well include a few live tours here too....


    http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/dr-j...ced-2012-05-09
    Dr John does 3 UK dates & there is a recent video on this link too...

    Oddly enough I may be able to go to the one in Strasbourg, I'm over there watching the Tour de France at that time. Pretty jazzy their bikes nowadays


    Kraftwerk may be more appropriate...
    Last edited by Globaltruth; 14-05-12 at 14:04.

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,052

    Default

    So, as Oilrig's GG sinks slowly in the west, sending out those last few bright rays into the gathering dusk, I went to have a look at the only other show on Radio Scotland which may conceivably be worth listening to (that should get a response from JC) - Travelling Folk.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01h63xh#synopsis

    I admit I havent' listened yet - but the playlist looks promising (a bit of Bela Fleck in there)...


    On a wider scan, if you do a search for all WM currently on iPlayer this is the list:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/programme...layer/episodes

  4. #504
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    a bit west of kirrie
    Posts
    2,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Globaltruth View Post
    So, as Oilrig's GG sinks slowly in the west, sending out those last few bright rays into the gathering dusk, I went to have a look at the only other show on Radio Scotland which may conceivably be worth listening to (that should get a response from JC) - Travelling Folk.
    Have a look at what they've replaced GG with Global - I mean, honestly - the guy who presents speaks with a cod Italian/ Kelvinside accent when he's announcing some puccini opera or other - just run-of-the-mill as opposed to something unique that it is replacing. I mean they've got the Four Seasons tonight - after all, you never hear them tunes do you?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hkz0l

    As for Travelling Folk - well again, the presenter ain't a patch on Oilrig, though there's not many who are, but he plays some good stuff - he doesn't have that knowledge of the Gaelic that Mary Ann has, and I notice that the Radio Scotty Director's reassurance that Bruce would be playing world music, beyond a few Breton tunes, has been taken up - the problem is that he shows little real enthusiasm for it.....and he's not really exhibited much progress over the last couple of years.

    Thanks for the links - there's a couple there to follow up on. Wonder if FT will be on live.

  5. #505
    Lateralthinking1 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Have a look at what they've replaced GG with Global - I mean, honestly - the guy who presents speaks with a cod Italian/ Kelvinside accent when he's announcing some puccini opera or other - just run-of-the-mill as opposed to something unique that it is replacing. I mean they've got the Four Seasons tonight - after all, you never hear them tunes do you?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hkz0l

    As for Travelling Folk - well again, the presenter ain't a patch on Oilrig, though there's not many who are, but he plays some good stuff - he doesn't have that knowledge of the Gaelic that Mary Ann has, and I notice that the Radio Scotty Director's reassurance that Bruce would be playing world music, beyond a few Breton tunes, has been taken up - the problem is that he shows little real enthusiasm for it.....and he's not really exhibited much progress over the last couple of years.

    Thanks for the links - there's a couple there to follow up on. Wonder if FT will be on live.
    Can I just add that I am sorry to hear that GG has gone from the airwaves. I did dip in to it on occasions and really enjoyed it although I find listening to hours of radio on the computer difficult. Too much whirring. I don't know if that would happen with a new pc? On the plus side, I note that David Rodigan is back on R2 with his award winning reggae show.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hpwyn

    And I became surprisingly emotional in a good way on hearing the interview with Kevin Rowland during yesterday's Front Row. There was a time in my youth when "...Young Soul Rebels" was one of my key albums (along with thousands of others). I have also always defended Too-Rye-Ay to the hilt, commercial as Eileen was and the theme to every drunk at a wedding reception.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hjs1f

    True to early form, the trailer for the forthcoming album is accompanied by great anticipation and an "oh gawd, I'm really not sure". Kev definitely fits into that category of maverick who is always forgivable because he is steadfastly bizarre. Think Nina Simone when she used to spend half an hour arriving with flowers and ten minutes actually performing songs. Obviously he has thrown in an F word to guarantee minimal airplay but it is more promotional than the last time I saw him. He was then playing Stax records from a darkened window clearly enjoying himself but peering out from time to time slightly unnervingly to up the peculiarity level.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUzK0...eature=related
    Last edited by Lateralthinking1; 16-05-12 at 21:09.

  6. #506
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    a bit west of kirrie
    Posts
    2,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    And I became surprisingly emotional in a good way on hearing the interview with Kevin Rowland during yesterday's Front Row. There was a time in my youth when "...Young Soul Rebels" was one of my key albums (along with thousands of others). I have also always defended Too-Rye-Ay to the hilt, commercial as Eileen was and the theme to every drunk at a wedding reception.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hjs1f

    True to early form, the trailer for the forthcoming album is accompanied by great anticipation and an "oh gawd, I'm really not sure". Kev definitely fits into that category of maverick who is always forgivable because he is steadfastly bizarre. Think Nina Simone when she used to spend half an hour arriving with flowers and ten minutes actually performing songs. Obviously he has thrown in an F word to guarantee minimal airplay but it is more promotional than the last time I saw him. He was then playing Stax records from a darkened window clearly enjoying himself but peering out from time to time slightly unnervingly to up the peculiarity level.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUzK0...eature=related
    Dexy's's on again tomorrow morninig, Lat on that 'follow-up album' strand on music lovin' Radio 4.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hl29f
    ...and he was on jools last night - I didn't see it but I suppose he'll be on Friday night with a couple of extra tracks....and I just noticed June and Oysterband are on too. My daughter likes Ben Howard, who's on too - he's better than I thought he'd be - wee bit John Martyn-ish.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j0sgj
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 16-05-12 at 22:14. Reason: joolsy boy!

  7. #507
    Lateralthinking1 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Dexy's's on again tomorrow morninig, Lat on that 'follow-up album' strand on music lovin' Radio 4.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hl29f
    ...and he was on jools last night - I didn't see it but I suppose he'll be on Friday night with a couple of extra tracks....and I just noticed June and Oysterband are on too. My daughter likes Ben Howard, who's on too - he's better than I thought he'd be - wee bit John Martyn-ish.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j0sgj
    Thank you John for that one as I would have missed it otherwise.

    I have only heard/seen the first song as I write but it put a smile on my face. It is totally wrong and totally right at the same time, ie all over the place and yet tight, and it works for me. It is audacious vocally, lyrically, structurally - somehow managing to hark back both to Mike Sarne and Wendy Richard and Shaun Ryder and the Happy Mondays as well as DMR - and it has a musical energy that is lacking in the standard output of today. Cool drummer too. I'm not giving it 5 stars but it is coming in as a strong 4.

    Last edited by Lateralthinking1; 16-05-12 at 22:55.

  8. #508
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    a bit west of kirrie
    Posts
    2,791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    I have only heard/seen the first song as I write but it put a smile on my face. It is totally wrong and totally right at the same time, ie all over the place and yet tight, and it works for me. It is audacious vocally, lyrically, structurally - somehow managing to hark back both to Mike Sarne and Wendy Richard and Shaun Ryder and the Happy Mondays as well as DMR - and it has a musical energy that is lacking in the standard output of today. Cool drummer too. I'm not giving it 5 stars but it is coming in as a strong 4.
    Well Lat - I thought Dexy's was as good a performance as I have seen on Later for a long time - almost Brecht-like in places - and I find myself realising that I had forgotten how unique a voice Rowlands has - nice to be reminded of 'Come Outside', but this was a good bit better, and not a novelty, I thought....and while we're on the subject I really enjoyed JT(nice coat) and the Oysterband, though 'Son David' really is a strange song - but Kev was the star of the evening for me.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j0tv9
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 19-05-12 at 09:59. Reason: come outside!...give over!

  9. #509
    Lateralthinking1 Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Well Lat - I thought Dexy's was as good a performance as I have seen on Later for a long time - almost Brecht-like in places - and I find myself realising that I had forgotten how unique a voice Rowlands has - nice to be reminded of 'Come Outside', but this was a good bit better, and not a novelty, I thought....and while we're on the subject I really enjoyed JT(nice coat) and the Oysterband, though 'Son David' really is a strange song - but Kev was the star of the evening for me.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j0tv9
    Good stuff. Nice too to hear Broadstairs folkie Tim Edey this morning on Midweek. The last few minutes if you want to miss the harrowing bits of the programme:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hxmvs

  10. #510
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    a bit west of kirrie
    Posts
    2,791

    Default

    Tucked away on Sunday night on R2 is the story of Jacques Brel - three half hour programmes hosted by Marc Almond - missed the first one but there's still a couple of days to listen to part 2.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rkgp2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •