A quick glance around the schedules

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick glance around the schedules

The programme about 50 years of minimalism which is being covered on the classical music boards looks quite interesting. People like Steve Reich. Think there are about two days to go on the I-Player.

Satie is the composer of the week - I find him more accessible than some composers and it sits well with the Albinoni that Max is featuring on LJ.

Over on R4, Desert Island Discs is a full 90 minutes on Saturday as Kirsty Young reveals what listeners would take to a desert island. Probably worth giving it a go out of curiosity but be prepared to be appalled.

Before that, on Friday night BBC4 television gives almost a whole night to Santana. There is a brief interlude with part 5 of Guitar Heroes including Johnny Thunders, Duane Eddy, Robin Trower, Peter Green, BB King and Joan Jett. Oh, and there's Allison Moorer earlier on - I may tune in for her.

And on Saturday night, at 8pm, the latest part of Latin Music USA - The Latin Explosion: How Latin pop has impacted on the worlds of music, business, fashion and media.

Doubt that any of these is likely to prompt a separate thread but you never know. Feel free in the future to flag up very briefly on this thread anything off the beaten track that could just be of interest to world music devotees.

When it comes to programmes that you have listened to already and loved, whether among the regular output or not so, I suggest we stick to our tried and tested route, ie separate threads as and when. And, of course, the main focus must be on Radio 3 which it will be very naturally anyway.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-06-11, 16:26.

>>but be prepared to be appalled

Comment

>>separate threads as and when

How about ' Hanging by a thread, the public service value of daytime BBC Radio 2 '

Comment

Lat - not 3 but 6, if only it were 9, and I know the Stones ain't a fave band in these parts but Charlie Watts was an excellent DID rerun on 6 on Sunday. I like Charlie - he's so bonkers in a down to earth kind of way......or vice versa!
        Desert Island Discs on 6 Music features Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts.

Comment

JC - Many thanks. This is exactly the stuff we want. If it leads to discussion - indeed if you want to start one - then that, as always, is for a separate thread. (This is just a small place for saying "blimey - they are broadcasting that and it looks interesting" - snippets - so you've got it spot on!) - Lat.

Comment

.....Guo Yue tomorrow, definitely. Saw him with the master Joji Hirota at Womad in the late 90s. Outstanding "gig".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011txy8.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
              .....Guo Yue tomorrow, definitely. Saw him with the master Joji Hirota at Womad in the late 90s. Outstanding "gig".

Looks interesting Lat. I thought this looked interesting from R4 but I haven't had a chance to LA yet - will I ever?
              Pink Floyd members explore the tragic mental breakdown of former front man Syd Barrett.

Comment

Many thanks JC. This is great.

Just to clarify - I always have qualms at this sort of stage! - if anyone would like to post separately to flag up something, even briefly, please do feel free to do so. This thread isn't a containment but just another mechanism for promoting the programmes (he says slightly pompously) even if I do also hope that it proves popular.

But I'm sure you all knew that anyway.

Comment

I was flicking through the channels last night and caught a bit of Transatlantic sessions - it was the same one as was on last week (oops!) with an absolutely appalling dirge of a version of Carrickfergus, I thought, by Alison Moorer. But before it is this stirring version of 'The King's Shilling' from Karan Casey with the transatlantic crowd and a rather uncertain James Taylor - but it adds to the power of the song - terrific! Here it is from YT.
                  [ Karan Casey - The King's Shilling ]Capo: 3 Chord: G Key: BbLyrics by Iain SinclairOh my love has left me with bairnes twaAnd that's the last of him I e...

Comment

The usual good Sunday morning bunch of tunes from cerys this morning - Karen Dalton, Milton Brown and his Brownies, Amadou and Mariam (has anyone spotted her hanging round these parts, by any chance?) among others. Also devon Sproule was in doing a session in the last half hour - really liked the first song she sang.

Earlier on Simon Broughton from Songlines mag was in punting a festival - Encounters - in London next month. He played a track by these guys - I thought it was pretty good. But that was maybe because it was Sunday morning.
                    "Celles Negres" from Efren Lopez. Recorded on March 2010 @ Mohlos Studio, during the recording session for the new cd of Efren Lopez, Stelios Petrakis and Bi...

Comment

Thanks Lat - I loved this programme - just wonderful enthusiasm, and great sounds scattered through this programme - he had such a joyful attitude and those moments of bamboo flute were beautiful.

Comment

JC, I am really pleased you enjoyed it. I did too. It was excellent. What that man has lived through is extraordinary - very moving - and it is so uplifting to see a success story there. He seems at peace with the world while conveying in the music his past experiences. Apparently, his cookery books are great too! - Lat.

Comment

Apparently, his cookery books are great too! - Lat.
                          Lat, I think my favourite bit of this illuminating programme was when he was talking about the sounds people made when chopping their food ready for cooking - people taking their feelings out on their food (after a hard day perhaps), or chopping slowly because they were in no hurry - and the sounds from the lucky ones who clearly had meat because they had to cut their way slowly through the bones - those sounds seemed to have such a strong effect on him throughout his life beyond China and yet transport him back to childhood and to his roots. Mind you I did get caught out by Wham but that's another story.
                          Last edited by johncorrigan; 13-06-11, 14:55. Reason: forgot my manners!

Comment

Yes, indeed. I see that Lauren Laverne is doing a Glastonbury preview at 10pm tonight on R2.

Looking at the line-up on the festival website, a few things caught my eye for various reasons - Lee Scratch Perry, Danny and the Champions of the World, Pentangle, Nathan Flutebox Lee, Asian Dub Foundation, Eric Bibb, The Bees, Big Audio Dynamite, Duane Eddy, Jah Wobble, Bellowhead, Kitty Daisy and Lewis - quite a few others.

Obviously LL is unlikely to be mentioning any of these.

The only inclusion that has left me a bit upset about not being there is Paul Simon. I would have liked to have seen him.

Comment

Lat, I sometimes catch Mike Harding in the car - he does a spot of valeting in his spare time (well, he's only on for an hour a week) - anyway this week you may be interested that he played an Ian MacMillan piece called 'first gig' and followed it with Fairport's Walk Awhile (very fine) - the programme was also notable for a folk version of 'No woman no cry' by Show of Hands - it was bizarre yet strangely strange - I started off horrified by it but then warmed, but I'm not sure how far - and he followed it with a rather wonderful live version from Cambridge of 1952 Vincent Black Lightning by RT. Anyway, thought you might be interested in the IM track. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011r54l

Comment

Working...
                              X