Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WM & similar @ The Proms 2012

I believe thanks are due to bluestateprommer for the full list but here is an edited extract that may tempt regular habitues. There are other interesting items too (Angry Planet for example)

Check out Prom 74!

Prom 14: Kronos Quartet
    Tuesday 24 July
    10.00pm – c. 11.15pm
    Royal Albert Hall

Omar Souleyman
    I'll Prevent the Hunters from Hunting You (La sidounak sayyada) (arr. Jacob Garchik) (4 mins)
    UK Premiere
    Sofia Gubaidulina
    String Quartet No. 4 (12 mins)
    Ben Johnston
    String Quartet No. 4, 'Amazing Grace' (11 mins)
    Nicole Lizée
    The Golden Age of the Radiophonic Workshop (Fibre-Optic Flowers) (c10 mins)
    BBC Commission, World Premiere
    Traditional
    Tusen tankar (A Thousand Thoughts) transcr. Ljova, arr. Kronos Quartet (5 mins)
    Aleksandra Vrebalov
    … hold me, neighbor, in this storm … (22 mins)
    Kronos Quartet

Prom 24: BBC Radio 3 World Routes Academy
    Tuesday 31 July
    10.15pm – c. 11.30pm
    Royal Albert Hall

Now in its third year, BBC Radio 3’s World Routes Academy
    mentoring project turns to Latin America. Born in London of
    Colombian descent, 2012’s young apprentice is self-taught
    20-year-old accordionist, singer and guitarist José Hernando
    Arias Noguera. His mentor, the renowned Bogotá-based
    accordion king Egidio Cuadrado – who brings his own band
    – is probably best known for his collaborations with Carlos
    Vives, the Latin American superstar actor-turned-singer.
    Fusing the folk tradition of vallenato with elements of rock
    and pop has proved a game-changer for music now enjoyed
    all over the Spanish-speaking world and beyond.
    Prom 65: Taylor/Barker – The Spirit of Django
    Friday 31 August
    10.15pm – c. 11.15pm
    Royal Albert Hall

Martin Taylor/Guy Barker
    The Spirit of Django – orchestral suite (54 mins)
    London Premiere
    Martin Taylor guitar
    Britten Sinfonia
    Guy Barker Jazz Orchestra
    Spirit of Django
    Guy Barker conductor
    Prom 74: Staff Benda Bilili & Baloji
    Thursday 6 September
    10.15pm – c. 11.30pm
    Royal Albert Hall

Staff Benda Bilili
    Baloji

Staff Benda Bilili are like nothing you have ever seen
    or heard before: a group of paraplegic street musicians
    and ex-street kids from the Democratic Republic of Congo,
    making music rooted in Soukous (or African rumba) with
    elements of old-school rhythm and blues, reggae and funk.

‘Afropean’ Congolese-born, Belgian-educated rapper Baloji
    mixes old and cutting-edge sounds with bitingly modern
    lyrics. But his most recent album finds him returning to
    his motherland in search of musical understanding and
    communal improvisation.

Comment

Thanks Global. I was worried that they weren't going to run the Prominents this year - they're such an anchor in my listening year.

Great to see Staff Benda Bilili - I still love that film they made about them (but I don't think Lat likes the Baloji guy). Wonder if there's a folk prom this year - I loved June Tabor singing unaccompanied last year with a choir and musicians sitting silent in the background - had my imagination operating overtime.
      Last edited by johncorrigan; 08-05-12, 17:08. Reason: Baloji comment!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        Thanks Global. I was worried that they weren't going to run the Prominents this year - they're such an anchor in my listening year.

Great to see Staff Benda Bilili - I still love that film they made about them (but I don't think Lat likes the Baloji guy). Wonder if there's a folk prom this year - I loved June Tabor singing unaccompanied last year with a choir and musicians sitting silent in the background - had my imagination operating overtime.
        "Ostende Transit" is OK but I didn't go for most of his recent output on R3. I do like Staff Benda Bilili and congratulations to them for getting this "slot" but even they are not very "Proms" to me.

Someone like Ismael Lo would be great - he is 55 now so sooner rather than later - but perhaps he is ill. He never seems to tour. Ditto Arto Tuncboyaciyan. Plus Vusi Mahlasela who John you mentioned a couple of days ago and Gochag Askarov who is giving a free concert soon but I'm not saying where as the place will be flooded with people. All of them big voices.

Am obviously pleased for José Hernando Arias Noguera whose name keeps getting longer. The performance with Egidio Cuadrado should be something very special. Agree that there should be a folk night too and also a bit of modern jazz.

Comment

Anais Mitchell's on with Cerys this morning.
          Cerys has a live session from Vermont singer-songwriter Anais Mitchell.

Comment

Anais Mitchell's on with Cerys this morning.
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01hlfcx
            Thanks John - I tuned in at 10.55pm and got the Malawi BBQ mice-on-a-stick track. Beats a cheeseburger I suppose. Think though I will be having dinner a bit later than usual. Roast hamster always tastes better in the afternoon anyway:

Good. Haven't missed AM. "The UK Uncut magazine called "Young Man In America" a "remarkable, genre-defying album" and the BBC's online music review described it as "a modern folk record that snaps and sparkles with energy, daring to take on some formidable themes in the process... a marvel of a record from start to finish". Q said the album was "magical and rewarding" and "marks her out as a true American original" The Guardian noted the themes touched on by the album, saying "she transforms her surveys of her country's belligerence and social irresponsibility into powerful rituals smeared with blood and dirt. Certain themes recur: the mother as shelterer, the father as shepherd, both vulnerable, both imposing fearful legacies." Common Reactor gave the album its highest rating, saying that, following up from the ambitious folk opera of her last album, it proves that sticking to your roots can be just as successful as shooting for the stars when it comes to making a fantastic record."
            Last edited by Guest; 13-05-12, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
              Think though I will be having dinner a bit later than usual. Roast hamster always tastes better in the afternoon anyway:]
              ......a dish best served cold, Lat?

I thought Sarah Jarosz' cover of The tourist (Radiohead song apparently) was terrific. Enjoyed Ms Mitchell - she was reminding me of Martha Wainwright a bit, but I enjoyed her songs. Still think Cerys could do with a lesson or two in interviewing - she's still not great at it - but she does play a lot of fine tunes.

Comment

might as well include a few live tours here too....

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/dr-j...ced-2012-05-09
                Dr John does 3 UK dates & there is a recent video on this link too...

Oddly enough I may be able to go to the one in Strasbourg, I'm over there watching the Tour de France at that time. Pretty jazzy their bikes nowadays

Kraftwerk may be more appropriate...
                Last edited by Globaltruth; 14-05-12, 13:04.

Comment

So, as Oilrig's GG sinks slowly in the west, sending out those last few bright rays into the gathering dusk, I went to have a look at the only other show on Radio Scotland which may conceivably be worth listening to (that should get a response from JC) - Travelling Folk.
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01h63xh#synopsis

I admit I havent' listened yet - but the playlist looks promising (a bit of Bela Fleck in there)...

On a wider scan, if you do a search for all WM currently on iPlayer this is the list:
                  http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/programme...layer/episodes

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                    So, as Oilrig's GG sinks slowly in the west, sending out those last few bright rays into the gathering dusk, I went to have a look at the only other show on Radio Scotland which may conceivably be worth listening to (that should get a response from JC) - Travelling Folk.
                    Have a look at what they've replaced GG with Global - I mean, honestly - the guy who presents speaks with a cod Italian/ Kelvinside accent when he's announcing some puccini opera or other - just run-of-the-mill as opposed to something unique that it is replacing. I mean they've got the Four Seasons tonight - after all, you never hear them tunes do you?

As for Travelling Folk - well again, the presenter ain't a patch on Oilrig, though there's not many who are, but he plays some good stuff - he doesn't have that knowledge of the Gaelic that Mary Ann has, and I notice that the Radio Scotty Director's reassurance that Bruce would be playing world music, beyond a few Breton tunes, has been taken up - the problem is that he shows little real enthusiasm for it.....and he's not really exhibited much progress over the last couple of years.

Thanks for the links - there's a couple there to follow up on. Wonder if FT will be on live.

Comment

Have a look at what they've replaced GG with Global - I mean, honestly - the guy who presents speaks with a cod Italian/ Kelvinside accent when he's announcing some puccini opera or other - just run-of-the-mill as opposed to something unique that it is replacing. I mean they've got the Four Seasons tonight - after all, you never hear them tunes do you?

As for Travelling Folk - well again, the presenter ain't a patch on Oilrig, though there's not many who are, but he plays some good stuff - he doesn't have that knowledge of the Gaelic that Mary Ann has, and I notice that the Radio Scotty Director's reassurance that Bruce would be playing world music, beyond a few Breton tunes, has been taken up - the problem is that he shows little real enthusiasm for it.....and he's not really exhibited much progress over the last couple of years.

Thanks for the links - there's a couple there to follow up on. Wonder if FT will be on live.
                      Can I just add that I am sorry to hear that GG has gone from the airwaves. I did dip in to it on occasions and really enjoyed it although I find listening to hours of radio on the computer difficult. Too much whirring. I don't know if that would happen with a new pc? On the plus side, I note that David Rodigan is back on R2 with his award winning reggae show.

David Rodigan showcases his love for all types of reggae in a new 13-week series.

And I became surprisingly emotional in a good way on hearing the interview with Kevin Rowland during yesterday's Front Row. There was a time in my youth when "...Young Soul Rebels" was one of my key albums (along with thousands of others). I have also always defended Too-Rye-Ay to the hilt, commercial as Eileen was and the theme to every drunk at a wedding reception.

True to early form, the trailer for the forthcoming album is accompanied by great anticipation and an "oh gawd, I'm really not sure". Kev definitely fits into that category of maverick who is always forgivable because he is steadfastly bizarre. Think Nina Simone when she used to spend half an hour arriving with flowers and ten minutes actually performing songs. Obviously he has thrown in an F word to guarantee minimal airplay but it is more promotional than the last time I saw him. He was then playing Stax records from a darkened window clearly enjoying himself but peering out from time to time slightly unnervingly to up the peculiarity level.

The track "Nowhere Is Home" was played on the radio for the first time on Radcliffe and Maconie's 6music show on 9 March 2012, as well as being made availabl...
                      Last edited by Guest; 16-05-12, 20:09.

Comment

And I became surprisingly emotional in a good way on hearing the interview with Kevin Rowland during yesterday's Front Row. There was a time in my youth when "...Young Soul Rebels" was one of my key albums (along with thousands of others). I have also always defended Too-Rye-Ay to the hilt, commercial as Eileen was and the theme to every drunk at a wedding reception.

True to early form, the trailer for the forthcoming album is accompanied by great anticipation and an "oh gawd, I'm really not sure". Kev definitely fits into that category of maverick who is always forgivable because he is steadfastly bizarre. Think Nina Simone when she used to spend half an hour arriving with flowers and ten minutes actually performing songs. Obviously he has thrown in an F word to guarantee minimal airplay but it is more promotional than the last time I saw him. He was then playing Stax records from a darkened window clearly enjoying himself but peering out from time to time slightly unnervingly to up the peculiarity level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUzK0...eature=related
                        Dexy's's on again tomorrow morninig, Lat on that 'follow-up album' strand on music lovin' Radio 4.
                        Dexys' brave and very different follow-up to their hugely successful album, Too-Rye-Ay.

...and he was on jools last night - I didn't see it but I suppose he'll be on Friday night with a couple of extra tracks....and I just noticed June and Oysterband are on too. My daughter likes Ben Howard, who's on too - he's better than I thought he'd be - wee bit John Martyn-ish.
                        Last edited by johncorrigan; 16-05-12, 21:14. Reason: joolsy boy!

Comment

Dexy's's on again tomorrow morninig, Lat on that 'follow-up album' strand on music lovin' Radio 4.
                          Dexys' brave and very different follow-up to their hugely successful album, Too-Rye-Ay.

...and he was on jools last night - I didn't see it but I suppose he'll be on Friday night with a couple of extra tracks....and I just noticed June and Oysterband are on too. My daughter likes Ben Howard, who's on too - he's better than I thought he'd be - wee bit John Martyn-ish.
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j0sgj
                          Thank you John for that one as I would have missed it otherwise.

I have only heard/seen the first song as I write but it put a smile on my face. It is totally wrong and totally right at the same time, ie all over the place and yet tight, and it works for me. It is audacious vocally, lyrically, structurally - somehow managing to hark back both to Mike Sarne and Wendy Richard and Shaun Ryder and the Happy Mondays as well as DMR - and it has a musical energy that is lacking in the standard output of today. Cool drummer too. I'm not giving it 5 stars but it is coming in as a strong 4.

Last edited by Guest; 16-05-12, 21:55.

Comment

I have only heard/seen the first song as I write but it put a smile on my face. It is totally wrong and totally right at the same time, ie all over the place and yet tight, and it works for me. It is audacious vocally, lyrically, structurally - somehow managing to hark back both to Mike Sarne and Wendy Richard and Shaun Ryder and the Happy Mondays as well as DMR - and it has a musical energy that is lacking in the standard output of today. Cool drummer too. I'm not giving it 5 stars but it is coming in as a strong 4.
                            Well Lat - I thought Dexy's was as good a performance as I have seen on Later for a long time - almost Brecht-like in places - and I find myself realising that I had forgotten how unique a voice Rowlands has - nice to be reminded of 'Come Outside', but this was a good bit better, and not a novelty, I thought....and while we're on the subject I really enjoyed JT(nice coat) and the Oysterband, though 'Son David' really is a strange song - but Kev was the star of the evening for me.
                            Featuring Dexys, Hot Chip, Rumer, Ben Howard, June Tabor and Oysterband.
                            Last edited by johncorrigan; 19-05-12, 08:59. Reason: come outside!...give over!

Comment

Well Lat - I thought Dexy's was as good a performance as I have seen on Later for a long time - almost Brecht-like in places - and I find myself realising that I had forgotten how unique a voice Rowlands has - nice to be reminded of 'Come Outside', but this was a good bit better, and not a novelty, I thought....and while we're on the subject I really enjoyed JT(nice coat) and the Oysterband, though 'Son David' really is a strange song - but Kev was the star of the evening for me.
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01j0tv9
                              Good stuff. Nice too to hear Broadstairs folkie Tim Edey this morning on Midweek. The last few minutes if you want to miss the harrowing bits of the programme:

Libby Purves is joined by actor and comedian Omid Djalili and folk musician Tim Edey.

Comment

Tucked away on Sunday night on R2 is the story of Jacques Brel - three half hour programmes hosted by Marc Almond - missed the first one but there's still a couple of days to listen to part 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X