A quick glance around the schedules

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Possible disruption from 2am, Friday 29th March

We have been advised by our host, Pair Networks that there may be a short maintenance outage of up to 15 minutes in the period between 2am and 6am on Friday.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    Meanwhile back here on the Outer Hebrides excitement mounts, a day to go before Heb Celt Fest kicks off and a session of spontaneous dancing broke out in front of Murdo Macleod's clothes shop yesterday aft.
    On this page is evidence that some people have made alternative arrangements to cope with this year's great Hebridean Cheese Famine! http://www.hebceltfest.com/gallery/?from=30
    Weather's been good out there this week, apparently.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 12-07-11, 08:25. Reason: a grand day out!

Comment

When the cows come home

Make the most of it while you can.

I read in the NME, Farmer Eavis is bleating over the increasing disinterest in music festivals. Apparently, for him, the economics aren't as good as they were, and he gives Glasto about three more years before he returns to more traditional herding. He also cites Womad as another festival where crowds are staying away.

And he should know: he possesses the beard of a wise elder, so that we know him as such.

I must admit the mere thought of Glasto, together with the aerial pictures, fills me with dread. But what of Womad and cosier events? Well, I suppose Glasto is the canary in the coal mine.

Also, as reported in the Guardian recently, Womad UK promoters are finding our Border Agency unsympathetic to requests for entry visas for some of the more ethnic artists who, as a consequence, are staying away too.

We had planned to be going this year with friends who hadn't been before, but instead we've settled on going to Macbeth, picnic in the park. For a change.

Comment

There seems no diminished interest in T in the Park going by this year's mudfest (mind you nothing else happens in Scotland except rain!) - in Perth on Monday Mud clad revellers in wellies still obviously in party mood were a sight for weary eyes.

On more pressing business, I think I'll give Candi and Lopa from Manchester International Festival a listen this evening.
        Lopa Kothari meets Candi Staton, who performs and records gospel music around the world.

Comment

From Candi man, Dave Simpson.

Comment

Don't forget to catch Dya Singh too - a great performance, my only slight criticism is that the electric guitar was really not necessary; but this was the kind of performance Lopa excels at supporting.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
              Candi must have been doing a couple of gigs, Paul, as last evening's was from a church in Manchester. The material between the songs was fairly uninspiring, but I love Candi Staton's voice and I love hearing her sing gospel and I thought she sounded in very fine form indeed.

Comment

I think she, like the other performers, were all doing three gigs each. Not sure if they were all at the same venue.
                I didn't listen last night in the end as the OH is in post minor op condition and we both needed some sleep. I'll try and listen later today.

Comment

Hope she's feelin' better, Paul - by the way, I liked the Sonny & Willie N photie in the book - very fine indeed!

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts John, all is going well so far. Yes I have to admit that picture really captures a sweet decisive moment. The funny thing was that I just grabbed a camera for that picture alone - as the bbc had brought in a photographer and I'd spent the afternoon ( 9 songs + 1 instrumental when Willie was only contracted for 4 ) filming the whole session on my home video camera. I have the tape somewhere ...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                      Thanks for the thoughts John, all is going well so far. Yes I have to admit that picture really captures a sweet decisive moment. The funny thing was that I just grabbed a camera for that picture alone - as the bbc had brought in a photographer and I'd spent the afternoon ( 9 songs + 1 instrumental when Willie was only contracted for 4 ) filming the whole session on my home video camera. I have the tape somewhere ...
                      Don't misplace that tape Paul!

Manchester seems to have been getting a rather unreasonable share of the spoils. I saw a really good interview with Rickety Bones on the Culture Show this evening - about halfway in - she's been re- performing the magnificent 'Pirates' and she was in mighty fine voice and as feisty as ever - well interviewed too I thought.

Comment

This Alasdair White feller is a fine fiddler,
                        Unassuming James Mackenzie one of the finest pipers in the UK - only a snatch of them in this clip, their show with Matheu Watson & the three singers one of the highlights

Now - where was MAK? Or even BBC Alba?

Comment

Just started...

20:20 Twenty Minutes: Andy Kershaw picks the best of the BBC Radio 3 Music Planet series. bbc.in/rsONmc

Comment

Busy night....
                            22:30 Hear and Now: Traditional musician Kathryn Tickell performs new works based on Northumbrian folk tunes. bbc.in/nAkHQQ

Comment

Hi GT, these are all excellent recommendations. I didn't know that any of them were on tonight and I hope to catch up with them on the I-Player. I have lost touch a bit. Am I right in thinking that you have been enjoying a festival in the west of Scotland? If so, I would be interested to hear what you saw and what you thought about it, even if it will be a little off-topic on this thread! - Lat

Comment

I may well do a Hebridean report, but don't forget to listen to some of the proms that may be of interest,

For example:

Human Planet part 1

Human Planet Part 2

score from Nitin Sawney, a talented but occasionally self-indulgent musical, but interleaved with Greatest Hits from the Human Planet show. :cool2:

And proms 17 and 36 - links and comments later, although they should be popping up on the clever upcoming events listing at the bottom of the board.
                                Last edited by Globaltruth; 24-07-11, 09:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X